Capcom & OC ReMix Announce For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man Album!

Liontamer

Capcom & OC ReMix Announce For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man Album

September 11, 2013

FAIRFAX, VA--OverClocked ReMix, through licensing with Capcom, today announced its upcoming arrangement album For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man. The album will pay tribute to Capcom's legendary sound team by arranging classic music from the first games of the Mega Man® franchise, a game series which has sold over 29 million units worldwide. For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man will be available for digital download on iTunes this fall.

This special arrangement album will feature 20 tracks in styles including electronica, rock, folk, funk, trip-hop, bluegrass, and acoustic guitar. Spanning the history of the Blue Bomber, For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man will shine the spotlight on music from the first installments of Mega Man®, Mega Man® X, Mega Man® Zero, Mega Man® ZX, Mega Man® Legends, Mega Man® Battle Network, and Mega Man® Star Force.

Created in 1999 by David "djpretzel" Lloyd, OverClocked ReMix is the world's premier community dedicated to the promotion of video game music. OC ReMix first teamed with Capcom in 2008 to create the soundtrack for Super Street Fighter® II Turbo HD Remix, involving over 20 OC ReMix musicians and marking the first-ever AAA game soundtrack developed by a fan community.

"We're honored to again be collaborating with Capcom on another iconic franchise, paying tribute to over 25 years of Mega Man," said OC ReMix founder and president David Lloyd, who will also contribute to the album alongside more than 20 musicians. "The music of Mega Man is as diverse as the many adventures the games take us on, providing the perfect soundtrack to a quarter century of robotic heroism and upgradeable projectile weapons. The OverClocked ReMix community is always excited to explore new interpretations and expressions of such amazing compositions, and we believe that For Everlasting Peace - our first commercial album - will offer fans something new while staying true to our goals of honoring great video game music and composers!"

Mega Man games are beloved by fans all over the world. Since their debut in 1987, Mega Man has remained a video game icon, having starred in more than 100 titles over the last 26 years. The connection he's made with pop culture at large has extended beyond games and into cartoons, toys, clothing, comics, and more. Part of that popularity is driven by the series' ability to evolve over time yet consistently retain the addictive gameplay experience that sets Mega Man games apart.

For more information on Mega Man, visit www.capcom-unity.com and megaman.capcom.com.

For more information on OverClocked ReMix and the community's complete catalog of interpretive video game music arrangements, visit ocremix.org, like OCR at Facebook.com/ocremix, and follow OCR on Twitter at @ocremix.

ABOUT CAPCOM

Capcom is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment for game consoles, PCs, handheld and wireless devices. Founded in 1983, the company has created hundreds of games, including best-selling franchises Resident Evil®, Street Fighter®, Mega Man® and Devil May Cry®. Capcom maintains operations in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Tokyo, Korea and Hong Kong, with corporate headquarters located in Osaka, Japan. More information about Capcom and its products can be found on the company web site, www.capcom.com or www.capcom-unity.com.

Capcom, Devil May Cry, Mega Man and Resident Evil are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Capcom Co., Ltd. in the U.S. or other countries. Street Fighter is a registered trademark of Capcom U.S.A., Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.

ABOUT OVERCLOCKED REMIX

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. Its primary focus is ocremix.org, a website featuring thousands of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

###

Here's Capcom's post about the album!

ANNOUNCEMENT! http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2013/09/11/two-amazing-mega-man-tribute-albums-coming-this-fall

AND, if you're a visual artist, we need YOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! We have an art contest running at Capcom-Unity until the 22nd to come up with awesome album art! Get the details there!

ART CONTEST! http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2013/09/11/mm25-album-art-contest-rules-and-info

Edited by Liontamer

Just wanting to ask because I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about this - for these commissioned arrangement projects by game companies, how does it get decided who gets invited to contribute to them? I never see any open auditions for projects like these, so do you have to be an Ocremixer of a certain clout to get invited, or how does that work?

That tone probably comes off more negative than I mean for it too, but I've been wondering it for some time and thought this was as good a time to ask as any. :)

Just wanting to ask because I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about this - for these commissioned arrangement projects by game companies, how does it get decided who gets invited to contribute to them? I never see any open auditions for projects like these, so do you have to be an Ocremixer of a certain clout to get invited, or how does that work?

That tone probably comes off more negative than I mean for it too, but I've been wondering it for some time and thought this was as good a time to ask as any. :)

DarkeSword and I made a list, checked it twice, found out who was naughty or nice, and then pared it down appropriately.

Seriously though, being a steady contributor to DS's compos was the starting point. We knew those people were proven to be both creative and efficient with their time.

I can answer this since I'm the director of the album.

The main thing with this album is that since it's Mega Man, we wanted to get a bunch of remixers who were familiar with the material and able to deliver their work in a timely manner. I also personally looked at a bunch of artists I had good experiences working with before. Fortunately for us, OCR has been running fairly large Mega Man based compos for the past couple of years (like the Grand Robot Master Remix Battles and the Wily Castle Remix Gauntlets). This gave us a great big pool of artists to approach for the album; artists that knew and liked Mega Man music, and also were proven to be able to put together solid tracks in a short amount of time.

Larry and I then compiled a list of artists we thought would be a great fit, and then we divided the list into stages based on things like musical ability and availability, and then emailed and contacted our first stage of remixers to fill out the roster, then the second stage, and finally third stage. Once we exhausted that list (the list was fairly large but many artists declined, citing unavailability), I posted a thread in Recruit & Collaborate to fill out the rest.

I want to point out that many of the artists we approached came to our attention primarily because of the Mega Man compos, and I'm really glad to have a lot of fresh faces on the album. I also want to stress that–and I know Metal Man was joking but I want to say it anyway–this wasn't a case of "oh I'll just pick my friends to do this." Availability and efficiency were big factors here, and a lot of "big names" were approached later rather than sooner, because we had a good idea of their availability (or rather, lack thereof).

Edited by DarkeSword

Upon seeing the "Capcom & OC ReMix announce..." bit, I kinda hoped this was gonna be 'Megaman 2 Powered-Up'. Gotta admit, a 2.5D remake of MM2 would have been a great way to celebrate Rockman's 25th. Not to mention, no one would have been more suited to remake that soundtrack than OCR peeps. Nevertheless, I'm still stoked for this album. :)

I want to point out that many of the artists we approached came to our attention primarily because of the Mega Man compos, and I'm really glad to have a lot of fresh faces on the album. I also want to stress that–and I know Metal Man was joking but I want to say it anyway–this wasn't a case of "oh I'll just pick my friends to do this." Availability and efficiency were big factors here, and a lot of "big names" were approached later rather than sooner, because we had a good idea of their availability (or rather, lack thereof).

All I gotta say is if TGH isn't dropping a track on this album then you should be ashamed. UNACCEPTABLE. :-P

dope stuff happens in the compos, so I can't wait to hear this guaranteed dope album.

You guys should be joining the compos anyway, even without the prospect of album opportunities. Compos are a great way to hone your skills. :P

Will this album be available *only* through iTunes?

iTunes is the plan right now, but we may go with other channels as well. Since this is a commercial album licensed by Capcom, there are some guidelines we're required to follow which give us a couple of things we have to consider when selecting avenues of sale.

Hey, look. I know that people have their own personal issues with iTunes or whatever (I personally don't purchase music on iTunes either), but as I said before

iTunes is the plan right now, but we may go with other channels as well. Since this is a commercial album licensed by Capcom, there are some guidelines we're required to follow which give us a couple of things we have to consider when selecting avenues of sale.

We'd like nothing more than to offer the album through as many venues as possible, but this is the nature of licensed work. We're going to continue to try to put the album out on other storefronts if it's possible, but right now it's not really up for discussion.

Oh, if only SEGA would swoop in and do something like this with us one day too.

In any case, my knowledge of Mega Man is very limited but it doesn't take a genius to see how much of a great opportunity this is for both the remixers involved but OCR's standing in the Video Game Industry as a whole.

Nice one, guys. Have fun with this! :)