Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Well this is a surprise! Good, I like surprises. But seriously, why don't they just call him "Ash"? Would make a lot more sense. Anyway, this is going to be a lot of fun to play as. I guess if you keep one pokemon out too long it will get weary and slow down or something. Maybe you can't attack after awhile, so it forces you to switch. Anyway, awesome. I hope we get more unconventional characters like this.

Holy fuck... I blew a load when I saw this update. And I think I just did again...

...yeah. I did. Really, the possibilities that this opens up are amazing. How will damage be handled? After all, it seems that 'Ash' (I'll call him that for lack of a name) can switch out his Pokemon at will, so if Charizard gets 30%, Squirtle gets 10%, and Ivysaur gets 45%, will it all be cumulative, or will each Pokemon have a separate damage counter? Can Pokemon be knocked out (as in, can they faint)? Are these the ONLY 3 that can be used, or will they add more before the game's release? Does this mean that these 3 aren't in the Pokeball item?

Why would they want to have to make 3 movesets for one character?

All valid questions that I hope will be answered soon.

--Jack Kieser

Holy fuck... I blew a load when I saw this update. And I think I just did again...

...yeah. I did. Really, the possibilities that this opens up are amazing. How will damage be handled? After all, it seems that 'Ash' (I'll call him that for lack of a name) can switch out his Pokemon at will, so if Charizard gets 30%, Squirtle gets 10%, and Ivysaur gets 45%, will it all be cumulative, or will each Pokemon have a separate damage counter? Can Pokemon be knocked out (as in, can they faint)? Are these the ONLY 3 that can be used, or will they add more before the game's release? Does this mean that these 3 aren't in the Pokeball item?

Why would they want to have to make 3 movesets for one character?

All valid questions that I hope will be answered soon.

--Jack Kieser

They all share the same damage meter, so they don’t recover from damage during Pokémon Change. But they also have another stat, which you might call stamina.

reading is good for you

The thing I like the best about this is that it shows a willingness on their part to be creative and make a game that totally defies expectations and norms. Pretty much anything goes now, and no one knows what to expect anymore, so it's going to be super-exciting when we get the whole package, and a fun ride until then.

Oh yeah, BEST. CHARACTER. EVER.

Well this is a surprise! Good, I like surprises. But seriously, why don't they just call him "Ash"? Would make a lot more sense. Anyway, this is going to be a lot of fun to play as. I guess if you keep one pokemon out too long it will get weary and slow down or something. Maybe you can't attack after awhile, so it forces you to switch. Anyway, awesome. I hope we get more unconventional characters like this.

Smash Bros characters are from video games, so he would technically have been called "Red" because that's what the model they've shown is. Perhaps they went with "Pokemon Trainer" so that there can be alternate trainer models, maybe one from each Pokemon game generation?

How will this work on a stage like the scrolling DK one?

Something like this, maybe: as long as you command the Pokemon to jump, the trainer will jump as well in order to stay alive.

We'll have to see for ourselves just how bad the consequences are for staying in one character for too long. If they turn out to be pretty severe, then there might not be a good Zelda/Sheik comparison.

Wow!, it totally blew my mind!

I'd never expected a char like this!

Awesome!

as for your Q

How will this work on a stage like the scrolling DK one?

I suppose he would be either flying on top of a pokemon, or on the plane/ship from "Pokemon Snap", don't you think?

I'm not a Pokemon fan, but, wow... amazing character choice, including the 3 "main" pokemon (and a trainer) without using 3 separate characters. Now I have high hopes that they'll be doing weirder things with some of the other characters, in the same vein as Wario's gas-build-up and his bike. Hopes they'll replace some of Melee's (and admittedly the original's) more useless and uninteresting moves with... useful and interesting ones!! =D

Perhaps the alternate costumes are... other completely different pokemon trainers?? Team Rocket????? Heh, Team Rocket could be a whole other character, where you control Meowth, and... whatever other ones that they have.

Sadly, it might be too alike to Sheik/Zelda (aka Sheik is top tier, Zelda is low tier and used only for her recovery)

Each of the three probably has different weaknesses/strengths... let's just hope the added versatility doesn't make the trainer TOO good.

Smash Bros characters are from video games, so he would technically have been called "Red" because that's what the model they've shown is. Perhaps they went with "Pokemon Trainer" so that there can be alternate trainer models, maybe one from each Pokemon game generation?

I have absolutely no clue what's going on in your sig, but I think I like it.

Sonic to be in Brawl? I doubt it anyway.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/the-plot-thickens/more-sonic+in+super+smash+bros-proof-288664.php

I dunno, the image just looks like it was put together by someone that works for Best Buy Canada marketing or something. Why would Nintendo use the Melee background image?

Yeah, what you said. They should really stop doing that ><

They should totally leave Sonic as a hard-to-find secret character so people totally go insane when they unlock him =P

[Edit]

They should really stop doing that ><

Actually... If I had the job of making a Brawl ad for Best Buy, I'd totally put Sonic in it just to confuse everyone. And I'd actually try to make it look authentic too =p

Yeah, what you said. They should really stop doing that ><

They should totally leave Sonic as a hard-to-find secret character so people totally go insane when they unlock him =P

[Edit]

Actually... If I had the job of making a Brawl ad for Best Buy, I'd totally put Sonic in it just to confuse everyone. And I'd actually try to make it look authentic too =p

Lol, I was gonna say something similar, cuz this pict looks pretty well made:

smashbrossonic1-1.jpg

Naw, looks pretty fake to me. I love how they shoved the Metroid Prime 3 artwork in there with the blue lighting that comes form nowhere. And just look at those characters. Pirahna Plant? Rayman? Birdo?

Oooh, look who's on the composer list:

Kazumi Totaka (Nintendo)

That's the guy who hides "Totaka's song" in games he composes for. I mean REALLY hides. It may not be found in Brawl for weeks, months, YEARS. Read the description of this video, and watch it for a short taste of its awesomeness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OsN8mbpZRA

I'm simply too excited by this... time for some sleep.