Sign in to follow this  
FenixDown

500 Internal Server Error when trying to create a thread

I've been trying to create a new thread since yesterday and every time I try to post, I get this message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ocremix.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I am able sometimes to preview the post successfully, but it requires removing certain parts of the post for some reason. I've revised the length of the post, shortened and condensed some things, but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. So far I'm able to preview this post just fine so I'm assuming it will post for me, but the thread I want to create is still not working.

Very interesting.

I experienced something similar using the site's admin backend, which doesn't even use vBulletin.

I'm not seeing anything in our Apache logs that suggests the root cause.

The post in question - is it very long? Also, what types of things did you have to remove to resolve the issue?

The post does have some length to it, maybe about 1,000 characters over the limit when I first tried posting, but I've trimmed the overall size down so it should be under the maximum character limit. But even when I decided to split everything into two posts, while the first one would turn up fine when I click Preview Post, the second half would still give me the error message unless I removed a specific paragraph from it. Unfortunately, I can't post it here without the error popping up, and even if I manually type it word for word opposed to copy/pasting it from googledocs, it makes no difference.

The weirdest part is that there does not appear to be anything of note about that one paragraph to suggest why it would cause problems, no formatting aside from bolding and I tried without that as well without success.

The post does have some length to it, maybe about 1,000 characters over the limit when I first tried posting, but I've trimmed the overall size down so it should be under the maximum character limit. But even when I decided to split everything into two posts, while the first one would turn up fine when I click Preview Post, the second half would still give me the error message unless I removed a specific paragraph from it. Unfortunately, I can't post it here without the error popping up, and even if I manually type it word for word opposed to copy/pasting it from googledocs, it makes no difference.

The weirdest part is that there does not appear to be anything of note about that one paragraph to suggest why it would cause problems, no formatting aside from bolding and I tried without that as well without success.

What about sending the copy to admin@ocremix.org? The problem's too vague without the example of the broken copy.

We've got a ticket open with our host.

The problem is related to false positives for SQL injection as processed by mod_security, for you geeks out there.

I'll post the mitigation here when I've got news - thanks for the feedback!