OCR00269 - Chrono Trigger "Winds of Time"

m68030

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice and calming piece overall.

Starts with an almost etheral version of Memories of Green (the overworld theme), leading with a flute while the wind continues with the piano in the background, then has a few strings take over the main melody at 1:13.

The strings stay in, moving to the base rhythm of the song at 2:10. At 2:24 the pace picks up with the main Chrono Trigger theme entering over top of what's already there. It continues through to the end of the song, which finishes on a slightly repetitive rhythm.

Indeed, very soft music. Like how the background has the wind sounds (very similar to FF7 if you havent noticed) in the beginning. Also like at around 1:13 how it gives a more softer background and the sounds of the main music changes. Like how at 2:10, if you are a CT gamer, it has the background of the Lavos entrance while on Epoch. It also blends in with the main Chrono Trigger (or, Crono's) theme song. Very nice indeed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

You guys are too kind... I honestly, um, didn't like this one, lol. I love the beginning, but when the main melody kicks in, it just sounds too busy or something. Granted, I've learned a lot since then, so who knows... maybe I'll remake it some day. Also, just so you can all stop being nice about it, I frigging hate the ending too... don't ask me what I was thinking... I stole the idea from this really cool acid jazz remix I once heard, and while it worked well for them, it didn't work well for me. Blah. I'm glad everyone likes it though. Wait 'till you hear my new remix I just submitted :wink:

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Didn´t sound very special until it hit 2:24, forgot that the same melody is in both of these songs.

Maybe my hearings off but would someone explain to me what difference there is between this and the original song?

Have to kinda agree with that one. Sure, there was a flute, maybe some strings and other stuff, but except the blend of these two songs, there wasn´t really that much else.

Sorry dude :( .

Another great mix of Memories of Green, this time with the main CT theme, I like it a lot. The transition to the CT theme was done almost perfectly, but it kinda just jumped out at me. Nice all 'round though, good job Rimco. 8.8/10

just so you can all stop being nice about it, I frigging hate the ending too... don't ask me what I was thinking...

so did I.... the whole repeating thing did not work, like you also said. I cut it down though, so it only does the last time, and then it was better for me.

• 1 year later...

Well, if my last.fm history is any indication, I'm completely in love with this song. I've NEVER touched Chrono Trigger (if you can believe that...Final Fantasy, sure. I've played many of those...but never this game). However, it doesn't take a genius to recognize a quality remix.

There are definitely a few things that bother me regarding the song. The part that sticks out like a sore thumb is the part that Rimco himself already condemned. That would have to be the ending. It's a bit jarring and in your face. I plan to edit it out myself just for my own personal collection (No offense Rimco!).

My only other very minute gripe might have to be with instrument selection. I don't know my musical terminology, but I'll try to describe what I can here. The first and second verses (?) are gorgeous...the flute followed with the strings are just so smooth and calming to me. Easily my favorite part of the song.

The oboe is kind of what gets to me a bit. It's not horrible, but I just would have liked a smoother instrument to go along with the 3rd verse. Or maybe just a different instrument altogether. I'm just being knit picky here. The 4th verse (starting at 3:21) which goes back into a fast paced feel with the strings sounds very elegant in contrast to the 3rd verse.

Then of course there's the finale which, to me, leaves something to be desired. At this point, I am already not quite digging the oboe, then it goes to that harsh "acid-jazz-inspired" cut at 4:00 that really takes me away from the fluidity of the song.

Now, as for more of the positives of this song that has me coming back for more! After hearing this song, I was so inspired to download the SPC soundtrack to Chrono Trigger to hunt down the original songs used that helped inspire Rimco to make this remix. Admittedly, this song blows the originals out of the water.

The general melody of the remix is pretty much identical as far as I can tell, but the quality of the keyboard instruments Rimco uses is far superior to the sound bank that Square had to play with to create the original songs. The piano that plays in the background of the original is really distracting and grating on the ears to me (talking about Memories of Green here). And the Chrono Trigger theme is rather forgettable as far as what instruments were picked out to form the song. That's just me. And this is coming from someone who has no nostalgic affiliation to the game.

Anyway, to me, Rimco has provided us here with the true definition of what a remix should be: the taking of an original song and altering it in a way that makes it sound better/superior to the original while maintaining the original song's integrity to a certain degree. That's exactly what Rimco did here.

I could easily see this remix in a Nintendo DS or Gameboy Advance remake of chrono trigger. If all the songs sounded as well constructed as this, I'd buy the converted game in a heartbeat just to hear the soundtrack! Great job Rimco.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Starts out very close to the source, and...seems to stay there for the most part. The transition to the second theme was pretty seamless though. The piano sample at the beginning was really nice too; very interesting sound.

The mechanical nature of the sequencing really made that ending bad though; I can see what was the intent, but the execution fell flat.

While there's nothing specifically bad about this mix, it really shows how far OCR has come. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Excellent start with the piano. Creates an ambiguous tone for the track which leaves so much room for progression in the mix! The strings are very synthetic, but for a track that was done 8 years ago, I can't complain. In fact, they sound downright glorious. I don't know how you do it, but in this track, like you other tracks, I can't help but be reminded of aquatic ambience from DKC. Brilliant! The introduction of the trumpet and the militaristic drums is a little jarring, but it's not too bad. I would have liked to hear them doing the melody a little slower. I.e. double the length of the notes played. However, that really is personal preference. It's a good arrangement with a lot of ideas. It's similar to your other pieces that percussion really doesn't play a big part. It's a very interesting creative choice that certainly works. Very good stuff!

• 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00269 - Chrono Trigger "Winds of Time"