Final Fantasy 7 ReMix Compo [Results]

zircon

The results are in!

First Place: Mustin

Second Place: Sephfire & Tweek

Third Place: Reuben Kee

Thanks all for participating! More info on page 17.

VOTING TIME

OK, all the entries are uploaded, so now it's time to vote. Here are the voting guidelines.

* ANYONE can vote.

* PM me (zircon) only - do not email - with your top three picks. A first place pick earns the person three points, second place gets two points, and third place gets one. So the order is important. Also include several sentences about why you voted the way you did.

* The two things to keep in mind as voting criteria are arrangement and production. Try to weight these equally.

-> Arrangement: The ReMix should be recognizable as using at least one of the source tunes I listed at the beginning. Generally speaking you don't have to judge as harshly as the panel does for OC ReMixes, but try to keep in mind the site standards. The mix shouldn't be too close or too far from the original, and it should stand alone as a song... in other words not background music.

-> Production: Recording quality of live stuff, how well the samples are used, choice of sounds, muddiness/clarity. In other words, does it SOUND good?

* You cannot vote for yourself.

* Voting ends on January 10th, 11:59pm EST.

* Try not to discuss your votes in this thread OR ANYWHERE ELSE to keep the process as clean as possible.

With that, here are the entries. In double parenthesis are the source tunes that were covered.

Alex Smith - Trombone Fantasy mvmt 1 ((Opening/Bombing Mission))

Another Soundscape - Spacing Chocobos (Hold Your Hats) ((Racing Chocobos: Place Your Bets!

Avaris - The Satiated Mind ((Opening/Bombing Mission))

Chihana - Even More Fighting ((Still More Fighting))

Fishy - Place Your Beats ((Racing Chocobos: Place Your Bets!))

Mustin - Serenity ((Main Theme of Final Fantasy 7))

Nicole Adams, Sir NutS - Main Theme ((Main Theme of Final Fantasy 7))

Prophet of Mephisto - The Road from Midgar ((Main Theme of Final Fantasy 7))

Reuben Kee - Still More Sexy Fighting ((Still More Fighting))

Rexy - Chocobo Prelude ((Racing Chocobos: Place Your Bets!))

Swordbreaker - Overworld Freestylin' ((Main Theme of Final Fantasy 7))

Tricklozen - Barret's Theme is Probably Marlene's Theme ((Barret's Theme))

Zoola - Cruisin' Sector 7 ((Barret's Theme))

sephfire, Tweek - A Chronicle Unfolds: Reactor One ((Opening/Bombing Mission))

OR DOWNLOAD THEM ALL IN THIS HANDY ZIP!!!!!!

NOTE: If you have any questions, or need to make any corrections to what I've posted above (eg. wrong source tune), please let me know!

YO!

Let's spice things up around here with a friendly little Final Fantasy 7 ReMix competition. It'll go something like this.

Rules

Step 1. Pick any of the following tracks from FF7:

102 - Opening/Bombing Mission

106 - Barret's Theme

120 - Still More Fighting

201 - Main Theme of Final Fantasy 7

311 - Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets!

Step 2. ReMix it.

Very simple. ;) You can remix any of the tracks however you want. The only other rules are that the mix has to be NEW, eg. written for this competition, and it has to be in MP3 format.

Timeline

We're going to have FOUR WEEKS for this competition. 12/3/06 is the start date so 12/31/06 is the end date (11:59pm on 12/31).

Ok, I'm done...

Submit your entry, either hosted or as an attachment, to aaversa@gmail.com . Subject line should be something like "Entry for FF7 ReMix Competition". Don't forget to make note of what theme you mixed, the remix name, and your remixer name.

Who wins? What do they win?

The winner will be determined by voting from whomever wants to vote. Everyone who votes will simply list the three entries they like the most. The criteria to keep in mind, of course, would be arrangement and production - weight them equally.

1st place will receive an OCR t-shirt or hoodie and a $10 iTunes gift certificate.

2nd place will receive a $20 iTunes gift certificate.

3rd place will receive a $10 iTunes gift certificate.

Also, anyone who submits a finished mix will of course be considered for addition to the Final Fantasy 7 ReMix project, Voices of the Lifestream.

Post here if you have any questions, and good luck!

if you're going to give prizes, at least do a game that isnt already over-remixed.

something like, Star Ocean or Harvest Moon, so we can actually get some material from games that also have good music but are overlooked.

money is a good incentive to get games with little remixes to their name up there.

It's sad that people need material reward to actually get off their butts and do something.

if you're going to give prizes, at least do a game that isnt already over-remixed.

something like, Star Ocean or Harvest Moon, so we can actually get some material from games that also have good music but are overlooked.

money is a good incentive to get games with little remixes to their name up there.

And you're the slowest person on OCR today. He's trying to fill the empty tracks on the FF7 remix project.

Bingo ;)

Trust me. The vast majority of the FF7 project to date consists of tracks that no one on OCR has ever touched. Some of the songs that have been remixed haven't even been touched by official arrange albums. But these 5, for whatever reason, are still open, and instead of nagging people, I figured, hey, why not a competition?

Well, nothing like a little incentive to get a strong start to my career. Is there any downside to trying? Doesn't seem like it so I'm in.

Har, I misread the 1st place prize, thought it said "or $10 iTunes gift certificate." I was sitting here thinking, "I'd rather get 2nd in case I get the cheapie gift card." Makes more sense having read over it.

Still can't believe no one has taken the main theme. 8O

Yeah, nobody has officially taken it yet, buuuuut... zircon and I, Trenthian, Starblast, and I think one or two others have actually encorporated it into our mixes anyway. It'll definitely be there, even if no one else decides to make it their 'ting. ^-^

Good because I love the main theme. Hey quick question, What track are you remixing with Zircon and who wrote lyrics if any? Just curious. Oh yeah, any idea when the project will be coming out?

Soo.. Gotta ask before I start. What's the opinion on implementing chipmusic in your remixes? I know people tend to hate pure chip-remixes (even if the original was orchestrated :( ) but if I use it for.. well, stuff?

The truth is, I don't have a comp good enough so for now I'm remixing with real instruments in a cute little portable studio. Although I HAVE some music programs for the gameboy so I thought that this can make my ReMix interesting.

An example of how I was thinking (this is no remix just a musical example) can be found on www.anothersoundscape.tk .

So, is this okay or do you guys really just hate this kinda lame remixing and only select the best made entirely in a proffesional studio with ProTools and the most expensive softwaresynths ever made?

Hope Not!

:roll:

It's sad that people need material reward to actually get off their butts and do something.

Not to mention it becomes slightly unfair to the people who already did a track for the project for no reward at all. Yeah, they could do another one, but then that'd be two for the price of one. :P

Oh well, hopefully the incentive gets this competition some good turnout so we can finally get this project out the door. Good luck everyone!

Well, the reward for people that did a track for the project is... being on the project ;) You don't need me to tell you how big it's gonna be.

Ayres; sadly, no, we're not close. There are people who haven't given me updates on their tracks for upwards of 6 months. It's incredibly frustrating. That being said, we have about.. 20 or 21 final WAVs sitting on my hard drive. Shooting for another 15 or so.

Well, the reward for people that did a track for the project is... being on the project ;) You don't need me to tell you how big it's gonna be.

Ayres; sadly, no, we're not close. There are people who haven't given me updates on their tracks for upwards of 6 months. It's incredibly frustrating. That being said, we have about.. 20 or 21 final WAVs sitting on my hard drive. Shooting for another 15 or so.

Nuts. I guess if we've lived for 9 months without, I can still live. Still, I'd like to continue to show interest in its completion.