Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Yeah, in almost every game you run around collecting something - comic books, coins, rings, pieces of cheese, healing potions, rupees, extra lives, pieces of fruit.

BUT IS NOT THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THE GAME.

Also, yeah there's a boss at the end of the stage in hm, which games? Oh my heavens, just about every friggin' one!

similar in terms of structure. world 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, boss, 2-1 and so on.

I THINK YOU JUST MADE ME HAD AN EPIPHANY. I'VE REALIZED THAT ALMOST EVERY GAME IN THE UNIVERSE IS RIPOFF OF MARIO.

and you debate this?

If I leave him idle, he looks at me and taps his foot! OMG SO COOL! SO RAD!

Stupid useless mascot.

Don't forget his ledge animation, At the end of every level when it counts up the score I always used to position sonic on the edge of the button that opened the animal capsule thing like he was gonna fall. I was so easily amused back then.

BUT IS NOT THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THE GAME.

similar in terms of structure. world 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, boss, 2-1 and so on.

and you debate this?

You are a ******* retard.

Edit: You know what? I'm just not going back to this thread for a while. There's been nothing but trolling for the last 3 pages, and I doubt it will get better for a while. There are too many 15 year olds on here and too many users who act like them. There's nothing wrong with a cracked post here and there but some of you people post just to get on the nerves of others, and aren't contributing a damn thing. Seriously, if you don't want to make a contribution or talk about something that we can agree on, then get out. Everyone can be a jerk sometimes, but some of you choose to team up and do it all at once. It's sophomoric and pathetic. So go to off top where that kind of stupidity is accepted, and let us who actually care about discussing Wii and Wii games enjoy ourselves. Same for the PS3 thread too. Leave them alone and grow the fuck up.

Edit: You know what? I'm just not going back to this thread for a while. There's been nothing but trolling for the last 3 pages, and I doubt it will get better for a while. There are too many 15 year olds on here and too many users who act like them. There's nothing wrong with a cracked post here and there but some of you people post just to get on the nerves of others, and aren't contributing a damn thing. Seriously, if you don't want to make a contribution or talk about something that we can agree on, then get out. Everyone can be a jerk sometimes, but some of you choose to team up and do it all at once. It's sophomoric and pathetic. So go to off top where that kind of stupidity is accepted, and let us who actually care about discussing Wii and Wii games enjoy ourselves. Same for the PS3 thread too. Leave them alone and grow the fuck up.

I think your ass is too familiar with the stick, at this point.

By what I see, the past few pages have been pretty much just immature joking.

Except the stuff from you, because you're actually taking it seriously.

So, yeah. chill, dood. Don't want a heart attack and wind up a prinny, do ya?

INTELLECTUAL.

look dont get mad because i merely pointed out the fact that youre favorite game is just a shameless ripoff of something nintendo did.

In fact, walking is a reference to Super Mario Bros.

when did i say that? all i am saying is the games are extremely similar in gameplay and format. noone decides to have a legitimate discussion on how i am wrong, they just call me a retard and are done with it.

the basis for sonic the hedgehog?

In the game, Sonic has to prevent Doctor Robotnik from collecting six of the Chaos Emeralds in an attempt to rule South Island. He must traverse six "zones", each comprised of three stages or "acts", until he confronts Robotnik for the last time in the Final Zone.

lets change it around a bit by saying mario must traverse 8 worlds, each comprised of 3 stages, until he confronts bowser for the last time.

sonic is not doing anything mario hasnt already done. the only thing it had going for it was the fact that sonic could move really fucking fast without a framerate slowdown. but thats a "whopde doo big shit". the level design was a bit more intricate in sonic as well.

Okay, you want ways in which Sonic the Hedgehog was different from Super Mario Brother:

Projectiles: Mario could gain powerups to use projectiles, Sonic could not.

Structure: Mario used a x-1 to x-4 structure, with a variation of the same boss. Sonic 1 had a X-1 to X-2 structure, using fundamentally different bosses.

Music: Each level in Sonic had a musical theme associated with the area, in Mario, each stage had a music theme associated with the stage (water music, under ground music, castle music, and overworld music.)

Gameplay: SMB had a simple left to right structure where you had to jump over obstacles to progress. Sonic had a flexible scrolling which could have you going from left to right then down, then left, then right, then up.

Puzzles: SMB had none, save from the last castle in which you had to, by trial and error, figure out where to go. Sonic had switches and various things to use to progress.

Even if you compare SMW to Sonic, SMW coming after Sonic, you have little similitude, and at that point, these elements may have been lifted from Sonic.

However, if you still wanna claim that Sonic is a copy of SMB, then I claim that SMB is a copy of Pitfall.

INTELLECTUAL.

look dont get mad because i merely pointed out the fact that youre favorite game is just a shameless ripoff of something nintendo did.

when did i say that? all i am saying is the games are extremely similar in gameplay and format. noone decides to have a legitimate discussion on how i am wrong, they just call me a retard and are done with it.

the basis for sonic the hedgehog?

lets change it around a bit by saying mario must traverse 8 worlds, each comprised of 3 stages, until he confronts bowser for the last time.

sonic is not doing anything mario hasnt already done. the only thing it had going for it was the fact that sonic could move really fucking fast without a framerate slowdown. but thats a "whopde doo big shit". the level design was a bit more intricate in sonic as well.

Wrong. This game is a shameless ripoff of Super Mario Bros.:

http://www.ocremix.org/game/great-giana-sisters-c64/

While I'm not afraid to admit that Super Mario Bros. is an awesome game and one that I speedrun regularly, Sega was going out on their own when they created Sonic.

It is an extremely different beast. The similarities exist with the collecting of rings, which may have very well been borrowed from Sonic, due to needing 100 of them to gain an extra credit and the chime that rings when a ring or coin is collected.

Saying that the boss-thing is rip-off is ridiculous. Because the boss is at the end of the stage? No, and Mario wasn't the first game to do that either. By the way, there's a boss at the end of every Sonic stage, whereas Super Mario Bros. had a boss at the end of every fourth stage.

Also, Super Mario 1 and 2 had flat land only. Sonic's land (on all games) is curved, loopty-looped and twisted. The enemies, the music, the graphics, and the play control are completely different.

Mario throws fireballs. Sonic has a spin dash, and the spin dash was a first for Sonic. Plus, Sonic saved animals trapped inside of robots from an evil madman. Also, Sonic had mini-stages and emeralds that needed to be collected in order to assume the final form.

Mario was based on defeating enemies and getting to the end without getting killed by a turtle or falling in a pit. During most Sonic stages, the idea is to keep momentum and not lose it.

You also pointed out that the entire point of the game is collecting the rings. Wrong - You only need one to keep Sonic alive (excluding pits and being crushed).

He didn't jump on turtles and save princesses. Also, I'm a big fan of both the Mario series and the Sonic series. Mario is my favorite, but Sonic is a different beast and has a flare that the Mario games can't provide. This is the same the other way around.

Your baseless and simply incorrect comparison is likely based off of blatant fanboyism and the reason I'm upset is because you are being extremely arrogant. You know this.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles was a part of my childhood. It is one of the most innovative, diverse, and exhilarating games I've played. Plus, it had a damn good soundtrack.

Don't forget the dynamic sonic 2 used where two players could play at once through the levels (cooperatively or competitively). I think NSMB is the only mario game to attempt something like this. And the whole concept where if you find all the hidden bonus items through the whole game, you gain a new ability and a better ending. And all the elemental shields which provide new abilities. Don't get me wrong - I adore mario games - probably more than the sonic games (though I still find them awfully hard to compare)...but don't go over-simplifying and ignoring what made sonic so great to begin with.

Also wow, hahaha, I feel like it's the early 90's all over again.

EDIT: I forgot to put anything useful in this post, so let me also say this: I might get this crossbow/zapper combo if only for medal of honor, which looks like it might be fantastic. We'll see. I know the crossbow game is just a bunch of minigames, but...meh. 20 bucks. And if it makes heroes 2 more playable, I'm all for it.

Did anyone else get a hiccup with the system update notification thing? This morning my system was glowing and I had a message board post from Nintendo claiming there was an update, but when I went to grab it I was told my firmware was up-to-date. When I came back from classes it was glowing again and there was not only a notification that the Metroid Prime 3 Preview Channel was now available, but duplicates of both messages. I tried to update again and nothing.

Uhhh... what.

Again this morning (or late last night, I bet). No one else?

I turned slot illumination and standby off for now.

they are probably still thinking of a way to control the katamari with the wiimote.

How hard is it really?

Tilt the remote in the direction you want to go, the D-Pad left and right to turn without moving. You could shake the remote for the speed boost thing, and press 1 and 2 for other various functions like camera, jumping, and or new features.

Man, I really want that ? box. Thing is, if I got the koopa shell, the urge to jump on it would be too great and that probably wouldn't be good for it...

Now here's something relatively interesting: IGN said that the Wii Zapper's trigger feels "spongy and unresponsive", which really would be a bad thing for something like MoH. However, they've also just announced a new one on Gear - the "Brando Wii 2 in 1 combined Light Gun", which they say may be the best design yet. They don't have a hands-on yet, but basically it looks like if the trigger has a tighter spring than the Zapper it will blow it away. Check here for the article. Looks a lot more comfortable than that "blaster" that came out recently as well. Of course this would mean sacrificing the crossbow training, but big deal - it's just Duck Hunt with those goblins from TP anyway. I'm still going to wait and see what they say about it once it's out. I wonder if since MoH is "compatible" with the Wii Zapper as they say, it would also be "compatible" with this. It probably just means button accessibility, so I doubt it would be a problem.