OCR01550 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney "This Feeling"

djpretzel

Dude, I just gotta gush! This song is so sweet on a level that I'm pretty sure hasn't been experienced here on OCR yet. What level is that? I'm talking about pure unbridled happiness! Kind of like Avaris said, it's kind of happy-go-lucky. For me though, it's like walking along a river in a perfect world. I just can't quite put my finger on it, but this song just has a certain kind of dramatic quality to it that says, "YOU ARE HAPPY NOW!" I love the way you do a kind of high phrase with the piano at 1:10 and then do the same phrase with that big strings sound at 2:20. Felt like crying man! Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love it. I've never played any Phoenix Wright games before, but I've listened to/loved all the soundtracks from the games.

And like Frustration Raptor said, this song has pretty similar instrumentation to the BGM from The Sims 2, which is a good thing since I've always enjoyed that soundtrack too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gotta agree about the piano, especially when it stays is even quarter notes, a little life there wouldn't hurt. It frankly sounds a bit like a placeholder for a proper melody instrument/singing. It's also impossible to not listen to it on headphones as it's so clearly separated to the right. On the other hand, the mechanical feel is actually perfect for the 01:00-01:22 section.

Ok that's a lot of whining about the piano.. Overall the track is pretty good. I definitely dig the feel-good vibe. Guitars are quite excellent!

--Eino

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Let me start off by saying that I'm a HUGE fan of all things Phoenix Wright so I was delighted to see a ReMix on the site (wish there were more).

This mix has a decidedly 90's flavor to it, probably because of the beats and the instruments used. I definitely get the "ending credits" vibe from the mix. If there's ever a PW anime series *crosses fingers* I can hear this being used during the credits (the guitar portion) or with dialogue overtop (the quieter sections). The intro is a little quiet and bland for my tastes, and I really start enjoying this mix after :37 when it picks up. Nice variation on the theme from the game, I like the subtle changes you made to the melody.

When that electric guitar comes in at 1:47, all I can think of is the opening song from Beverly Hills: 90210 with that lead guitar. I'm also getting a Smash Bros. Ending Credits feeling from it - when you complete something like Classic Mode with a character, how you get a remixed version of their "theme" - kind of like that electric guitar version of the SMB3 theme in Smash Bros. Melee.

I would love to see more Phoenix Wright mixes on the site. It seems to be underappreciated on here for such a beloved series.

• 3 months later...

Nice remix, i'm liking this :P

The first problem with this mix is the intro - that synth needs better EQing, its a little piercing.

When the drums fully kick in, I think that the piano could stand to be louder, not to mention that it sounds somewhat fake, especially when the 16th notes play a little over two thirds in.

Also I think that the guitar could use some vibrato, it sounds mechanical.

Still this is a great remix, and nice source too.

Good work over all :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, OA is pretty much a remixing god. This is uber-poppy; the bubblegum synths set a nice mood but it doesn't really kick in until the 90's-style guitar riffs kick in. That's when I REALLY get into the song. I agree with Willrock that the playing could use a bit more personality to it, but I think it fits alright as is.

I have no shame blasting this in my car :-P Sooo good, one of my faves from OA!

• 1 year later...

Very entertaining and upbeat, I love the energy in this ReMix. This is a great track to us while driving and it really does have that "end credits" feeling to it. Thoroughly enjoyed the downbeat starting at 2:30. It just has a lot of emotion that defines this mix as happy, and it spreads that happiness very well. Victory indeed!

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01550 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney "This Feeling"
  • 5 years later...

"This Feeling" is triumph. "This Feeling" is elation. "This Feeling" is hope. "This Feeling" is knowing that the road ahead is long while also holding the keys to the car, at last.

At the risk of tempting fate, I want to affirm this. As I've gone through listening to every ReMix in order, I've been looking at each ReMix's review thread to help me further understand the music and its legacy, especially as I come in to these tracks from beyond the well-weathering passage of time. And there, like a beacon near the bottom of page one or somewhere towards the middle of page two (or maybe significantly later where there's been drama), has been a Snivy and an insightful comment from @OceansAndrew. While I haven't always agreed with his take on a ReMix, his ability to cut through the noise of adulations, teardowns and sidetracks, and focus on the music itself has been such a help as I have traveled from #00001 to here.

OA has been like a role-model to me as, one day, I will return with a proper review in tow, once I have listened to every last ReMix (today we reached #04500, and I have such a long way to go), and I hope to be just as insightful and helpful to those who will follow where I've trod.

And now I get here to #01550 and here is the beginning of something new: OA's not just a reviewer to me, now, but a ReMixer, with dozens of ReMixes ahead to listen to as testimony of making a legacy. That beacon isn't on the page, any more. It's in my headphones.

I remember the dreams of my younger self wanting to have my name etched in the annals of the catalog. To listen to OCR is one thing. To appreciate OCR is another thing, that comes from listening. To fully understand OCR is yet another thing, that comes from appreciating it, and then taking one's quill – or mouse cursor in a DAW – to transform the ideas one has of the pieces of VGM that personally resonate, and then laying it at the feet of the judges to have it resonate with them.

OA has done this. "This Feeling" is where I want to be, too.