OCR00755 - Marble Madness "Sphercular Kinetics"

orkybash

Marble Madness 'Sphercular Kinetics'

This one kinda reminds me of mutagene's work in terms of sonic depth. While what's going on with the main instruments is pretty simple, there's so much ambiance in the background (especially the wind), as well as attention to detail in the drums that serve to keep this interesting. Though it's not the kind of thing I'll listen to regularly, it's definitely staying on my HD for when I wanna trip without all the nasty side effects! :)

Oh yeah, this rocks! I could sense from the background chord at 0:10 that this was going to be the practice level, and I sat in eager suspense until I broke out into a big smile when the chords finally revealed themselves at 2:37.

This remix does a very good job of keeping a simple theme insteresting with all the ambience, a great bassline, and lots of percussion. It kinda has an ambient technoish new-age feel. A great way to package this particular song IMO. Nice job.

Marble Madness was originally made by Atari for the arcade. http://www.klov.com/M/Marble_Madness.html

It was ported to many other platforms as well. http://www.bodenstaendig.de/marble/conv.htm

When I played it originally, it was on the NES. Even still, it was made by Tengen, which was Atari's subsidiary company for NES games.

Yeah, I have to agree with djp's first comparison more. Vangelis.

It pretty much sounds like a sonic mess up to around 1:40, but after that there's something definitive. The quality is nice. Oh. This is supposed to be that music. Nice to see it's actually in the mix somewhere. To be honest, this doesn't really remind me of mutagene. It's not really trippy enough for mutagene's style. Not that this isn't nice work, but it reminds me of Sidewaystaircase before anyone else, except possibly in the area of "sonic depth" alone. And it sort of seems to break off at 5:23. Like it's trying to fade slowly out but stops the fade out just about 5 seconds too short.

Anyway, nice stuff

DC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

WoW you know this song brings back memories. this song now-a-days gets me really sad because it reminds me of when my brother an i were little. and had the new NES and would play that game...memories heh..now we're are all grod up (well im 16 at least). but yeah i like the back round theme they artist made with the song. I do play it still on my nes emulator..er..wait..no i have no illegal roms..what are you talking about =p

• 8 months later...

Awww yeah. Marble madness, one of my earliest NES memories. I just love the beginning, especially the simple level starting sound effect as an intro. Perfect. I agree the muddled beginning wasn't much of an intro, but just the start of that soundeffect, I knew I had to finish listening to this, so I sorta grinned and bore it until the real song started.

On a similar note (OT) I remember my friend took his portable Commodore thing (portable for the time....) and this was the first game we played on it.

EDIT: Whao I just noticed the "My mind is going..." quote at the end, and it actually repeates very quietly for the ending... The author even slipped in a little 2001 into the mix.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......My mind is going.......

Ok, it's gone now.

Good mix. I liked it.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The beginning was totally ambient which is normally a distinct turnoff, but I found myself really interested in the first bit a lot. It lost a little once the bass and percussion came in, but once the music started, it was pretty awesome. A super slow build suits this source, which is really sunny and cheerful.

the chiptune style with the deep ambiance is a bit strange at first, but it really ends up melding pretty well, even though the structure is a bit lacking. The transitions aren't amazingly strong, but the whole track is just overall soothing.

The vocal sample at the end didn't really fit with the theme and felt tacked on. I could have done without that. Otherwise a really pleasant and interesting mix. Not what i'd expect at all, but it works.

• 7 months later...

This really takes the source for a spin. It warms up extensively yet vividly, flexing a palette of ideas like muscles. I love the piano in particular - it effectively heralds the mix like the dawn of a new day. Drum and percussion maturation is so delectable you can almost taste it; intro appetizers grow into new tonalities and intensities (1:35+ = hot). Periodic quips like the wind flaps and the Game Over riff add a bold and ghostly sub-vibe to the mix. Even the ending's no slouch - it ebbs and sighs like a sunset, matching the grace of the intro.

It rolls, it morphs, it's a controlled but fun ride like an automatic ball machine.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00755 - Marble Madness "Sphercular Kinetics"