The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Haha!  Yeah, I'm an oldie...used to hang out on #rpgamer, #midi, #vgmusic around 15 years ago, and I'd listen to stuff from OCR and wish my MIDIs could sound that good, haha.  I even have old stuff on vgmusic.com, hilariously enough.

Hi there!

I always found vgm to be somewhat special, and as I've been making music from a few years now, I ended making what I think cool covers/remixes of my favorite tunes. Now I think it is time for me to share some stuff, and I'll be very pleased to get some feedback on my work, as I've never realy exposed it to any other than a few friends and familly members.

I'm a keyboardist/producer (as in "I do stuff on FL Studio"), speed/shred/melodic/powerful/stupid oriented, be it in metal, happyhardcore, hardstyle or anything else, with possibly a touch of ukulele and melodica sometimes.

Whatever, I'm really happy to join the rank of OCR, and maybe one day (soon?) become a ReMixer! 

Nice to meet you!

How's it going my name is Matt.

I'm brand new to the forums but have been doing remixes for a little while. I've known about ocremix for a while, though never thought of joining the forums till recently. I've been studying guitar for about three years now and am really looking forward to meeting fellow vg music fanatics! I do have a sound cloud if anyone is interested in hearing my stuff. I only have about one remix posted though, the rest is original stuff. If anyone is looking to collaborate or just talk about whatever feel free to message me! Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!
Well, I love music and video games (duh). Gaming and drumming, being my two main hobbies, have both had major influences on my lifestyle. Almost as long as I can remember, I've been listening to OCRemix, thanks to my big brother. This site has done a lot to inspire my love for music, as well as my ambition to remix songs. While I'm still learning how to write music as I go, I've made it a goal to work towards to begin submitting songs to this community. My brother and I are currently working together on writing our first remix, so I decided to go ahead and make a forum profile. I don't know how long it will be until we have something presentable, but I think it should turn out really well!

Heyyy, everybody! M'name's Nick! I love OCR and have been visiting the site semi regularly since uhhh 1999? 2000? Way back. Dunno why it took me so long to join. :v

Besides the obvious video games and music, I love making the artworks, homestuck, and cartoons. Idk if anyone here will see legit submissions from me... I am starting to learn how to play guitar, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing lol. I love the community, though, and hope to make friends and stuff, so, hey guys! \o/

Hi all...

This is Steve. My guess is that I'm somewhat older than the average OCR member (59 plus). I have recently discovered the OCR Remix site (from my adult children) and like both the music and the open-mindedness of this/your community. It's a delight to me that OCR features/embraces virtually every genre of music. The following paragraphs tell a little about me ;-)

I began to play guitar in my early teens. Having grown up in the Midwest USA, I was exposed early to bluegrass music and found that I was drawn to it (I do however enjoy most all music).

By my late teen's and early twenty's, I joined a bluegrass band and begin playing at small local venues. For most of my adult life, I have played either guitar, mandolin or banjo in church services. Currently I play in a "Praise Team" at a local church.

Another note of interest is that I served 20+ years in the Marine Corps Reserve and the Air National Guard where I found more opportunities (beyond my regular duties) to contribute musically in church services to fellow soldiers.

Thanks...

Steve (dabedaab)

Oh Yeah... and I have my first Remix "Mario Paint Theme Song - Pickin Colors " in the "Post Your Game ReMixes!" forum and would appreciate feedback if and when you may feel so inclined ;-)

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post here at OCRemix, but it's far from my first visit. I've been listening to your contributions since I dared to download last.fm on my (original) Droid like a hundred years ago while getting ready for work one day. I literally dashed out of the shower mid-wash when I first heard "The Flood Plain" by JigginJonT in a panicked, must-find-the-source-of-this-work-before-it's-over" moments. So... Thanks Jon (and, of course, everyone else who has contributed and given me amazing music to listen to).

I grew up playing videogames and making music, but lately my work in the games industry has all but squashed the time and dedication it requires to do anything creative/productive in the musical world. This next year, I've promised myself, will be different. As such, I'm hoping to join some of you folks making awesome arrangements and contribute in absolutely any way that I can. Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to get a solo effort through the works.

As for me, I am mainly a hip hop head, but videogame music has always held a very special place in my heart. The mixture of the two, while potentially unorthodox, has proven to be some of the most hard-hitting and lyric-friendly rap beats I've heard. I'm excited to share my own versions of this genre marriage since I've noticed that hip hop isn't completely represented here, at least in the ways other genres are. How do you all feel about hip hop? Are there some hip hop remixes that you like, and I've missed? Please share!

Finally, I'd love to be able to share with you some of the game-inspired hip hop work I've done so far so you can see what I'm about, but I'm unsure what the policy is here for linking external sites. I've read through the Newbie Guide and the Submissions Standards, so it looks like I have some work to do before my stuff actually gets into OCRemix proper, but I'd really like to share what I've got so far so any potential collaborators can get a good sense of what I bring to the table. I recently was part of a Star Wars musical in San Francisco in which I had the honor of playing a love-stricken Han Solo who just had his love scene with Princess Leia interrupted by 3PO. It actually happens to be a bit NSFW, so that's another question: What's the policy on submissions that contain lyrics which are... how should I say... "PG-13 and above"?

It's a pleasure to make all of your acquaintances!

-Taylor

I'm Simon, 27, I live in Denmark and enjoy artistic games, particularly the MGS-series and the FInal Fantasy-series, although my opinion is that Enix hasn't made anything useful since FFX. The recent great games I played are probably Hotline Miami 2, Walking Dead Season 2 and MGS: Ground Zeroes. I have also found out about the existence of the Tales-series in recent years. Grew up in Singapore to Danish parents, but moved to Denmark when I was 4. I have a pretty international family, many members of mine live all across the world, and I guess that's why I like the internationally different perspectives that games of great culture offer. I only buy games if they have a good storyline, so you can say I have an academic approach to this type of media.

Been listening to OC Remix all my life, so I just wanted to say thanks for all the great experiences. You can never get enough of emotional video game music. My favorite mix of all time is probably the continue/heal-remix from ICO. I would even go so far as to say it has been with me through so many things that this tune has defined a tiny part of me:

• 1 month later...

So as you can tell from my account, I'm not at all a newbie to OCR.  I just recently logged back into my account to see some 7 year old posts from 2008 asking the community about composition and the sort.  Looking at my questions back then, and how misguided and innocent they were (I would have been 14 or so years old), I absolutely CANNOT BELIEVE the positive response I got from the community.  I wanted to thank everyone for being so kind, in fact, DarkeSword, I believe some advice from you was quoted in that thread!  Now, I am returning to the community (after listening/lurking since middle school back in 08 - lol), an Ableton user who has recently taken it upon himself to learn how to make music.  I've been about 15 months into it now, and I hope to add some remixes to the community soon!  My soundcloud is http://www.soundcloud.com/o-c-e-a-n-b-o-i

Hope to make some tunes with some of y'all soon!

Hi, my name is Mark, and after listening to and browsing through the music on this site for a year or two now, I figured it was time to actually become a member. Not really too much I want to say about myself here, on account of its a public forum on the Internet, but I will say that I love just about everything on this website, and I think it would be really cool to get a piece posted on here. The only thing is, I don't really know the ropes around Sequencing and DAW-ing music(real thing, or nah?). I have Finale(2010, I think) and tried Presonus One at some point, but trying to figure it out on my own with limited time was a little too much of a challenge(not that I don't like a good challenge). So, if anyone feels the spontaneous urge to try and help a new guy, I would be more than happy to fill that role(if this is the right place to ask that. If not, well, its here anyway). So once again, Hey everyone, I'm excited to be a part of this great community.

Hey all,

I am Chris, a.k.a. Diamond Fuzz. I have visited this site for roughly two years now, and figured I should register. I've been playing music since I was in middle school, and making music (primarily in FL Studio) for about a year and a half - just graduated from college and moved. I love video games, and the music from them in particular, and I'm excited to hopefully be a part of this community, 'cause it's great to be with other users who share those passions. I'm probably going to be making a fair amount of electronic music, but I'm interested in playing with all sorts of genres and seeing what works.

My goal is to improve my production, editing, and mastering skills. I have a nasty habit of working on a project and then never posting it because I'm way too gosh-darn critical of my own work, and that's a barrier that I'm working to get past. I'm also only recently getting into recording instruments like guitar, so that's an area I need improvement in. My favorite game is Mass Effect, and although I'm sort of young and not terribly familiar with older games and their songs, I love discovering old and out-there works and experiencing them. Lets' see...yeah, that's probably fine.

Good to meet you all, and see you around!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I started using OCRemix for music circa 2002. But I only recently decided to sign up on the forums. I've been playing various instruments since I was in elementrary school, though have fallen back into it in a big way. Don't really have much more to say.

• 2 weeks later...

How-diddly-doo!  I'm a musician of a few years, though I haven't ever interacted with another dedicated community of musicians until I was referred to OCR by a friend.  I've been a longtime gamer and started my musicianship remaking some of my favorite songs, and I came here to hopefully get some advice to evolve from some random bloke piddling around on his laptop into a musician actually worth talking about.

Hey there! I'm Jfaferrie, a young Scottish cellist, composer and a big fan of video games, especially their music. I'm currently studying music performance in classical cello at music college but in my free time I love transcribing and arranging game music. Currently I have just been orchestrating music from the Pokemon franchise but I want to have a go at working on music from other game franchises too.

Here's my latest arrangement of the abandoned ship theme from Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald: 

I look forward to getting involved in the community here :D

~Jfa

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! First time poster, I've been lurking for about 2 years. I've been listening to video game music for over 30 years (I remember recording Nintendo VG music from my TV onto cassette so I could listen to VG music on my way to school on my walkman...).

I've also been playing guitar for about 20 years, I play mostly doom and thrash metal. Hoping to get more into remixing and improving my music production skills!

Hi everyone!

I've looked up on the internet for a good place to discuss and improve as a musician (I can play the piano and the classical/acoustic guitar), and as an overall sound designer and so I came here. As a gamer I have very wide tastes, which fortunately allowed me through the years to listen to many different types of music adapted to videogames.

I hope I will be able to find the kind of constructive discussion I am looking for. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Great to meet you all!

MOONFLOW is a sonic entity that washes over your memories with a glistening smile. It guides your thoughts to goodness and purity. To the places where we belonged; that brought adventure, friendship and the sweet taste of victory.

I've been a fan of OCRemix for a very long time. Only just got round to making some remixes of my own. Would love to know what you think!

Hey there! I'm new around here and this is attempt number 4 at making an intro post.

Name's Demitri, and i go by a few aliases. I typically go by Genesis, but I thought I'd make a separate identity for music.

I've known about OCR for YEARS, and I'm farily familiar with music theory, however i'm pretty wet behind the ears on making my own or doing remixes. My goal here is to learn and create my own stuff. Maybe do remixes here and there once I have this under my belt for the most part.

I'm also (slowly) making my own fighting game, so this is obviously a must to learn. I want the soundtrack to be very memorable.

Anyway, I could type for days, hopefully I'll get everything I need here and meet wonderful people!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm Tom. I've been playing music for around 7 years, but I've only started making music about a year and a half ago.  I mainly focus on trance, but also do other genres too.

I wouldn't say I have much in the way of knowledge or skill in music making, I'm still trying to get my head around a lot of the technical side of it....but that's one of the reasons I joined this site, to learn more from those who have experience!

Even though I've been familiar with video game music for years (indeed, Sonic Rush's soundtrack was what first set the ball rolling for me making music, and it still is my favourite OST of all time), VGM remixing is a fairly new thing to me. I'm looking for tips and tricks from people who've been at this longer than I have. Of course, eventually I'd like to do my own remixes, but for now I can settle for learning.

As for my own music, I've included my latest two tracks below. All feedback/critique welcome, and thanks for reading!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...