The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Steben

Surely I'm just completely retarded and can't find the thread on this game. But since I cannot...

Who's picked up the new DS Zelda game? I heard a mediocre review, citing the touchscreen controls as totally different from a real Zelda experience. To which I say, psssssh. I picked it up and figure out all the controls intuitively.

The dungeons seem a lot different from your typical Zelda fare, though. I've only played the first two regular dungeons, plus bits of the Temple of the Ocean King. I guess it's because you see entire floors at a time, rather than individual rooms. And then, the rooms are much smaller than your typical dungeon rooms in previous Zelda games.

Also, I'm addicted to the multiplayer game on Nintendo Wi-Fi. What's my friend code? Glad you asked!

3050 5535 8455

Feel free to hit me up. Do you have to mutually have each other's friend codes to connect?

Yeah, there isn't a Zelda: PH thread yet. It's just been mentioned in the DS thread a bit. Yay for another topic to follow!

I've been interested in this game, but with slower work (and less income), and some really big exams that I really should prepare for, I don't think I get it yet. Not to mention that I also have a half-dozen Wii VC games I downloaded and never played yet.

Hopefully, this is going to be a very long, boring winter. And then, after all those other games have been played and their use has been gotten, then, I shall go get Phantom Hourglass.

Yeah, there isn't a Zelda: PH thread yet. It's just been mentioned in the DS thread a bit. Yay for another topic to follow!

Slightly off-topic: this is how we SHOULD be doing things. Make a thread for a game, don't just talk about it in the system threads. These massive system threads make Community feel a lot slower than it actually is.

On-topic: PH is rocking my socks. I wish Wind Waker had such fun sea-faring escapades.

I'm really enjoying it so far myself. Just got the bow, which is a blast to use. I do have some minor complaints (seafaring is still tedious, music is not very memorable, puzzles and dungeons a little on the easy side), but overall the entire game is incredibly solid. Some of the best graphics on the DS too! Highly recommended.

Slightly off-topic: this is how we SHOULD be doing things. Make a thread for a game, don't just talk about it in the system threads. These massive system threads make Community feel a lot slower than it actually is.

That sounds like permission to make a thread for every single game any of us have ever played.

Thanks DS!

I was instantly turned off to it when I started playing and learned that I need to movie with the stylus. I'm almost embarassed to admit that I didn't pay close enough attention to the game's release news to learn about that, but it's still just not the same.

I've been hearing reviews saying this is the easiest Zelda yet. If that's true, then why am I running around at 1/4 of a heart half the time? Or why am I dying in some of the dungeons? I admit the bosses are pretty easy (especially that second boss. Woo boy, what a lamer), but the almost-ridiculous amount of puzzle-stealth is keeping me from getting lax.

Maybe I just suck.

good ds zelda, but it's going to be hard to make another without the cel shaded zelda (not that it's bad or anything). cel shaded zelda works perfectly with this style of game, and i can't see this working with pixels or more realistic characters.

also i like how there is no limit to the wallet. i can just keep blasting those jellyfish for half an hour and get myself a couple thousand rupees

I'm afraid im going to scratch my screen to hell when playing this game, but I hate screen protectors. I found it impossible to avoid getting a tiny piece of dust underneath the damn shield(hello air bubbles) lol :[

Depending upon the application method, there are ways to avoid both.

First, apply the screen protector in a hot, steamy bathroom. The water vapor clings to airborne dust particles and causes them to settle to the floor. The steam also does the same for hairs and fur, as well as pollen... basically, the whole "dust" thing.

Second, use a credit card to smooth the protector out as you apply it. This will force air bubbles out.

also i like how there is no limit to the wallet. i can just keep blasting those jellyfish for half an hour and get myself a couple thousand rupees

I was curious what the limit on the wallet was, so I spent a few hours blasting the jellyfish (HORRIBLE waste of time in hindsight, but it was nice to not have to worry about running out of cash trying to do the shooting gallery, which was actually pretty challenging for me, and in a SATISFYING rather than frustrating way). Anyway, 9999 is the limit.

I am absolutely LOVING this game. It is somewhat different from most Zelda games, but honestly, I've felt that the differences have been for the better. I'm having a complete blast so far. Also, Wind Waker-style graphics ftw. Twilight Princess was pretty and all, but it just doesn't have the same charm that Wind Waker did.

Not a bad game, but just about all the handheld Zeldas before it were way better IMO.

Also, the game is really, really, really easy. Why am I not surprised?

Yeah, while it may be a bit too much on the easy side, the boss battles for the most part make up for it through how inventive they are IMO.

Damn near finished with the game at this point, and it's been great fun so far. I personally wouldn't say it's "worse" than other Zeldas I've played, that's just my opinion, but it definitely has a different feel to it.

Meh, to each their own. Some'll find it easier, others will find it more difficult.

still, reviewers say it as though it requires a point deduction, like its this insanely negative thing, while confusing what makes the game easy with what makes it good. for example the reviews of RE4 for Wii say the controls make it easier. newsflash, its the same god damn game. instead of criticizing it for being easy why not look at it the RIGHT way and say "the controls make it more intuitive, WHICH IS A GOOD THING."

still, reviewers say it as though it requires a point deduction, like its this insanely negative thing, while confusing what makes the game easy with what makes it good. for example the reviews of RE4 for Wii say the controls make it easier. newsflash, its the same god damn game. instead of criticizing it for being easy why not look at it the RIGHT way and say "the controls make it more intuitive, WHICH IS A GOOD THING."

Oh, totally. I agree it's dumb to put in a negative light when a game employs better controls. It'd be like saying the more you have to fight the controls to do what you want, the better the game.

I was disappointed in the recycling of dungeon/island/village/boss/cave/etc. music, but it was a pretty great game. The ending was cool, too. I almost expected to see [spoilers]the ocean king whale guy flying through the air like in Link's Awakening. XD

And then the Link to the Past reference in the credits music was pretty cool, though not as great as the original.

I love this game. I've beaten it and I'm now just trying to get the rest of the gems I missed and any treasure I can get my hands on... AND ship parts. Those damned ship parts. Haha.

Really though, this game should be called "Pimp my Pirate Ship"

"Those are some mad dope rock spinners, foo'!"

"Yeah, hit me up at Beedle's, fo sho durdy. Peace... "

"Southeast side ocean, REPRESENT!!"

"YOU GOTTA HIT US UP, TO GET A PIMPED OUT RIDE. YOU GOTTA PIMP MY ... SHIIP."

... i went to far... -_-

but this was a fun game. <3 I JUST HATE THE PEOPLE that disconnect in the middle of a game where I'm rocking. It's almost like you have to trick people into thinking they're winning so you can win at the end... it's kind of a broken experience since you lose all progress and don't get any reward for their misdeeds.

Online mode is fun though when it works. :)

I need to trade some more so I can get some more ship parts though.

Haha...

oh and Linebeck is probably my most favorite Supporting Zelda character now... surpassing Midna. He's got so much character and charm imo. :)