OCR @ Otakon 2008 (Baltimore, MD) - Thanks for coming!

atmuh

My first Otakon was awesome, and the OCReMix panel was easily the highpoint of my entire weekend. The medley video was very well produced (Nice Work, Jose!) and the Dire Dire Docks remix game was clever (any chance that the "OtaMix" will be posted on the forums?) The two friends that I dragged along to the panel had actually never heard of OCR, but they became quick converts thanks to the Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Okami remixes in the video.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I was the guy who had to sing "Hillbilly Rodeo" for the trivia contest. I degregated myself for the VotL cd/cd-rom set, which I already downloaded for free anyway. How's that for devotion? ;)

that was YOU? I gave you that CD!!! :DDD

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!! I had SOO much fun all weekend, thanks for a great time! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDd

Just got home. I'm dead-ass.

That was officially the worst display of bus service I've ever seen. One so-called meal (several bags of chips and Burger King fries shared with another passenger) and I'm home, ten hours after leaving the BBQ. Still deciding if I'm crazy enough to head to work in three hours.

I was hit in the face a lot this trip. Cosplay photos later: Tetsuo was bananas. I don't know why I didn't think to get a picture of Amy's wonderfully ReMix'ed OCR T-shirt (anyone else have that?). I'll get that panel vid up as soon as I can. Thanks to everyone for the good times: Xerol for the quarters; Jilli-Andy for the birthday props and the opportunity to fill in for Larry; Dave for the bar meet; everyone else for everything else.

I was surprised to see you there rather than Larry, José.

Welcomed surprise, of course.

So I read earlier that you were in the Artist's Alley, but I didn't see you (Granted, I don't know what you look like, and I didn't ask every AA dealer if they were "Sindra" on the OCR forums).

So I read earlier that you were in the Artist's Alley, but I didn't see you (Granted, I don't know what you look like, and I didn't ask every AA dealer if they were "Sindra" on the OCR forums).

I didn't see her either. Also, I don't know what she looks like, and I had to try to keep myself out of artists alley anyway, last year I spent the majority of my cash there. I still haven't framed any of my artwork from Otakon 07.

Norg actually informed me about this. Man...that is some insane keyboard playing there!

HOLY SHIT! Damn Dom, those are some amazingly awesome skillz there man.

Edit

Alright, I think from now on we should label any kind of BBQing that we do as a group an OCRBQ. It just sounds cool, and it makes sense, at least to me! :)

Heh, yeah sorry. I was participating in the Art Show rather than having an actual table this year. Tables get mad expensive at Otakon, and I'm not up to that caliber yet. Perhaps next year. Sorry for the confusion.

On a happy note, my Sonic Reflection poster piece went for higher than I thought, and someone bought my Wesker print for $30. I was pleased.

Haha, OCRHug...

Jill and I had a REALLY great time at Otakon and the BBQ. To be honest, though it can be fun to do huge meetup groups, I think not having them this year was less stressful. Anyone that was at last year's Otakon (CPK nightmare), MAG 6 (TGI Friday's) or the La Tasca dinner in.. '06 (I think) will agree with me that eating in huge groups kind of sucks. Plus, you often have to wait for people to show up and ultimately you end up spending 4 hours from start to finish just eating one meal. Doing things in smaller groups worked out well this time.

I'm also very glad that the panel went well. I think it was our best panel ever, personally, and the crowd seemed to be really into the whole way. Jill, José and I worked our butts off on preparing content for the entire week prior to Saturday so it was as relief to see that all paying off.

Feel free to leave comments about the panel here, too! We're always looking to improve.

I can promise you that it would have ended up in the pool. You made a wise choice in moving it.

Also, I have now perfected my OCRHug on DrumUltima. Expect it more often.

The problem is I have about 6 minutes of this:

shot1.jpg

And 20 of this:

shot2.jpg

Also I got a bunch of pictures on that SLR but I can't get them off because it uses some funky USB connector that looks like an ultra-mini PS2 port.

That was a lot of fun. The panel was awesome of course, and I only wish there was more time. (Though, yeah, speakers could've been turned down a tad.)

And I'm definitely glad I came to the BBQ. Thanks Xerol a ton for having us over. Also, Pixietricks, thanks for convincing me to change my mind {^^} (I was about not to go and sort of last-minuted the decision). And of course, zircon, pixietricks, DragonAvenger, Q-Pa, Xerol, Dyne, Jose, Pezman, DrumUltima, it was great being able to meet up with y'all (...I'm forgetting someone I think.......).

I can promise you that it would have ended up in the pool. You made a wise choice in moving it.

Also, I have now perfected my OCRHug on DrumUltima. Expect it more often.

Yeah, leaving it poolside would've tempted fate. I think it would've ended up being 20 minutes of good footage on a shorted-out camera.

I'll post up some photos and more comments a little later. I ended up having to work on some stuff for 12 hours today (when I was anticipating, like, 4 hours) and so I'm more exhausted now than I was just after the convention.

I will add that OCRBall should be a staple of any meetup. KF

That was so fun - I miss you guys already! Great to meet DragonAvenger and Kizyr for the first time, and I always love seeing old friends. May new friends become old friends, too!

Here is my photo album on Facebook!

Any help tagging would be much appreciated. And just for a few random highlight photos directly in here:

The panel audience! phew...

07.jpg

Some folks gathered afterwards

08.jpg

Sunday BBQ!

10.jpg

ROFLness...

21.jpg

EDIT:

Btw, people who went to the BBQ... Don't forget to email José those special photos we took... XD (media@bronxrican.com)

Christ almighty, José, how the hell did you put that example video together? I just watched it now and, pimp for me aside, I loved it. When Dave said he wanted something cooler for this year's original vs. ReMix comparisons than our PowerPoint last year, that went above and beyond what I think anyone was expecting.

:nicework:

Same time next year?

Less talking, more music.

I guess by that time in the convention I was just really hoping to sit down and listen to a bunch of good remixed pieces and get into a fit of nostolgia. I got really pissed off at the idiot girls running the Sonic panel who did nothing but talk the whole damn time, and wouldn't go into anything about the music or gameplay of the series. (but talked in excess about how gay they were for Rouge)

Guess I'm a "actions speak louder than words" person when it comes to these things. That's me though.

I got really pissed off at the idiot girls running the Sonic panel who did nothing but talk the whole damn time, and wouldn't go into anything about the music or gameplay of the series. (but talked in excess about how gay they were for Rouge)

Guess I'm a "actions speak louder than words" person when it comes to these things. That's me though.

When they said it was their first panel, they weren't kidding. They didn't even have a damn powerpoint. Someone asked about the music, and their response boiled down to "Yeah, it's awesome. Let's talk about how hot Rouge is again!" They spent zero time to talk about the cartoons or the comic book, with annoyed me, too. Interestingly enough, I did win a prize in that panel's trivia contest. I was the guy who was dressed as Mario with a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses that nobody else got.

But hey, did anyone go to the "Your Favorite Video Game Character Sucks" panel? I thought those two guys were really funny.