OCR02234 - Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete "A Dream That Seems Far Off"

djpretzel

Always knew Dale had an awesome voice since he sneaked in singing in his track for the Earthbound project years back. As David said, it's always great to hear a male voice perfecting a female-centric track. Doesn't work vice-versa for some reason. All in all, short and sweet remix with some solid production and singing. You need to make more of these, Dale! Your take on Rena's theme from SO2 is still one of my favorite mixes of all time!

While all the Lunar vocal songs are really good, the boat song is my least favorite. Still, it's nice to hear someone other than David having the guts to take on these. More, please! The intro song is one of my favorite video game vocal tracks...it calls for a remix!

Lunar: Silver Star Story is one of my favorite games EVER. I've been disappointed to never see anything from it on OCR and was delighted to see this track posted in my FB feed this morning.

I'm a big fan of the original song, and I really love the arrangement you did here (haha, any chance of releasing a "karaoke" version?) If Lunar were an animated Disney movie, this song would be playing over the ending credits. It's not the "in movie" version with the character actors, but the version released by the latest pop sensation. You've got a great voice and I like that you changed the song's key to suit your range.

PLEASE remix more wonderful Lunar music! <3

OMG, NO Lunar:SSSC remixes up to this point?? Shame on all of us.

This makes one helluva debut for this gem of a game on OCR. Vocal performance is full of heart, and the chord changes from the (amazing) original are quite tasteful. Me like beaucoup!

http://ocremix.org/game/77/lunar-the-silver-star-scd

Well, not exactly. Three mixes from the Sega CD original, including ANOTHER vocal theme by DJP himself (gutsy move back in 2000), although the latter in my opinion isn't a true testament to David's vocal ability. This one is:

But, yeah, I get what you mean. I haven't listened to the Sega CD version, but I'm assuming that some of the tracks match the PS1 one.

So here I am waiting to catch up on all the games I've missed over the years. One of which is Lunar which has been rereleased on the psp. It's near the top of my list to play and hearing this just made it the next game to buy (After I beat Nier and FF13). On top of that, this song came out on my birthday so thanks for your present Dale!

This is great, very cool to hear a male voice on this one. Even though it sticks pretty close to the original, the little bits that are changed up (a slight pause here, a jump to a higher pitch there) make it a real fun listen.

And I agree with what you wrote in your write-up. When I first played Lunar and got to this scene, it blew my mind that I was seeing and hearing what I was. It further validated videogames as a story-telling medium, and became a benchmark for other RPGs to aspire to.

But, yeah, I get what you mean. I haven't listened to the Sega CD version, but I'm assuming that some of the tracks match the PS1 one.

Interestingly enough, none of the tracks match between the Sega CD and PS1/Saturn versions of the game; the remake was kind of a complete one, and every track from every corresponding point in the game was changed. (Eternal Blue for Sega CD, on the other hand, had a nearly identical soundtrack as the PS1/Saturn versions, though with different quality.) I like both soundtracks, but personally the Sega CD version is far more endearing to me.

Anyway this is an awesome mix. This song was really calling out for Dale North's vocal treatment. As some folks know, Lunar is my absolute favorite series, and I love seeing a really good mix from there posted. KF

Lunar was one of my favorite series on the classic consoles. But to hear a different take on this tune, I honestly like it.

Dale, nice job! I had no idea you had such a great voice. Hope you'll do more singing in the future. =D

• 2 months later...
This sounds of movie quality (very similar to the Disney Aladdin song 'magic carpet ride' in pitch and tempo (I Think that 's the name) , keep up the great work.

Good to see that I'm not the only one who gets not only a Disney, but an Aladdin feeling in particular from this song.

As for Dale's vocals, they might just be the best male vocals on this site.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Oh, yeah, I'm getting a Disney or at least animated ballad feeling out of this, which is a totally good thing for a song like this. Damn, those vocals are incredible. I had no idea Dale North could sing that that! Seriously, one of the best male vocals I've heard on OCR. I really don't care if it's just a little short, it's kinda perfect for this type of song and this thing will be replayed for sure. The piano arrangement makes this a very beautiful, heartfelt ReMix. Love this to death!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02234 - Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete "A Dream That Seems Far Off"