A thank you to the community

DirtyHarry

Today I found an old USB stick filled with OC remixes back from early 2007. Good to see that 10 years later the community is still alive and well. Very random topic but I just wanted to say thank you to all the people who created these fantastic remixes back in the day and are still doing it today! Keep up the good work!

It's a bit crazy, isn't it? Last time I met up with a djpretzel we both had that moment of "let's see, we've known each other... how many years now? OVER 15?!" A few of us insane ones from back then are still puttering and releasing new tracks too, and I'm one of 'em, so I guess on behalf of the OCR veterans... you're welcome. :)

The really awesome part is how many guys from this community have gone on to become actual game composers and are now making a living doing it. I'm not personally among those ranks - I found I'm a much better remixer than a composer - but just look at Big Giant Circles, Zircon... in fact right now I'm checking out the preview to Wilbert Roget's Call of Duty WW2 soundtrack! 

It's a cool feeling, being proud of your friends and their accomplishments. It's certainly an awesome community for that.

OCR has been the site that I have frequented the most consistently over the past 17 years or so.  I have many mp3s that still reflect a "last modified" date in 2000 and 2001. 

Speaking from experience, I know that these forums are probably a lot less active because we oldtimers are having kids, jobs with more responsibilities, etc. -- so just less free time in general.  But I still visit OCR at least once a day to check for newly posted remixes and any WIPs in the forums.  Being someone that isn't involved in the creation of music in any way, OCR has definitely expanded my horizons in terms of musical tastes and experiences.

So, indeed, thank you and good job to the community for keeping things chugging along for the better part of two decades!

Since we're reminiscing: I too still have the original mp3 files (encoded at 128kbps) from the early days.  In fact, the way I even discovered ocremix was through NAPSTER.  I had just discovered Napster in early 2002 and it occurred to me that I could start looking for old nostalgic tunes, such as old tv show themes and Nintendo themes.  So I was just searching by NES games and downloaded a few Mega Man II or Super Mario Bros. 3 remixes that I liked.  One day, I think I was editing the metadata fields and somewhere in the notes or something was simply listed a website: ocremix.org.  Hm... I thought to myself. If this song came from there, I wonder what else might be on that website.  I visited the site and was gobsmacked at the treasure trove I just stumbled upon.  I remember going systematically through the alphabet index that used to be at the top of the page and just scrolled through for games I was familiar with and tunes that I knew.  I'd listen to every remix of a certain game and download the ones I liked.  Soon after that, I just started listening to every new remix that was being posted and discovered a lot of great new games and great new OST music that way (as well as the remixes too, of course).  I also joined as a member in 2002, but I think my profile got deleted for some reason, so I had to rejoin in 2003.

Later, in 2004 I used to listen to ocradio and discovered other remixes I had never come across before, and probably wouldn't have on my own.  I also did a video game music radio program at my college radio station (and again in 2007-2008).  A lot of my source material came from ocremix, but through the forums I was put onto other OSTs or other remix sites.

It's funny, because 2007, ten years ago, were the years where I was already feeling like we were in the "latter years" of ocremix, for whatever reason, and because of my own perception of time progression I feel like 2007 wasn't that long ago.

To be honest, regarding the forums, it certainly feels like the early days of the forums is where I became familiar with the term "flame war," because almost any topic that someone started seemed to devolve into insults, name calling, and the pointing out of how intrinsically linked someone's IQ was to their simple grammar mistakes.  The forums by that regard seem way more tame (and tolerable) to me, but maybe I'm not reading the right posts.

Well, thanks OCRemix and moderators, judges, and admin personnel that have kept this thing going for 3,641+ remixes.

As I submitted my first remix in late 2007, which was posted in 2008 I was not on your CD, but it made me realize that it's been 10 years, holy hell. And yes, indeed; A big thank you to all the veterans who inspired me to submit in the first place. pre-2008 ocr shaped me and my later contributions. I still remember the first time I found an OC ReMix on ... hrm *cough* dc++.

2 hours ago, Nitwit said:

I remember going systematically through the alphabet index that used to be at the top of the page and just scrolled through for games I was familiar with and tunes that I knew.  I'd listen to every remix of a certain game and download the ones I liked.  Soon after that, I just started listening to every new remix that was being posted and discovered a lot of great new games and great new OST music that way (as well as the remixes too, of course).

Yep, that snippet matched my start here as well. It's why I kept harping on djp to bring back the alpha nav, and it in the works. :-) 

On 10/23/2017 at 8:26 AM, prophetik music said:

sure, we don't have unmod's gleeful mix of smut, abuse, and humor anymore...

Oh, the earlier days, when UnMod nearly became 4Chan. Back when the forums would muster the trolling might of OCRAPS (OverClocked ReMix Anti-Plagiarism Squad) whenever some brat on YouTube would claim an OCR as their own work. Fun times.