OCR00782 - Plok "Title Jam"

orkybash

I haven't played Plok and I didn't really like this one when I first listened to it from his site, but I've come to like it a whole lot after listening to it, especially that trombone solo at 1:53. I still don't like some of the instruments that much, but you can tell he had a whole lot of fun doing this arrangement. I must say that this man is a very very talented remixer (and a great trombone player), as if anybody didn't already know that...

Holy crap, this is some good stuff. I've never played Plok, but I saw Mazedude's name, and knew I had to download it. Man, this song is just so much fun to listen to...especially the bitchin' trombone solo. Mazedude is talented as hell, and everyone should download this one right now.

HOORAY!!!!!!!!! i requested this only a couple of weeks ago, which means it was probably in the works for the past six months. nonetheless, for me, it's instant gratification, almost. and then there's the undeniable fact that this mix ROCKS THE HOUSE!!!! hooray, hooray, hooray. boo-yaa.

• 1 month later...

*Mad Serious Review Mode ON*

No one can go wrong with the mix. Honestly, I could listen to this song alone for days on end, it's that good. First of all, the choice for base song is awesome, I loved it when I first played Plok. I like to think that this ReMix is sort of like the opening theme to Banjo-Kazooie, in that it uses a bunch of different instruments and also comes off very peppy and uplifting. The quality is top-notch, the variety of instruments is wicked to listen too, and when it drops in the middle, only to have it come swelling back with the trombone...words cannot discribe. I also liked the classic drum *chih* ending. 9.75 out of 10. DOWNLOAD THIS NOW.

(First review, booyah.)

Had to chime in on this one, Mazedude just blows me away with this smooth^n mix. Like many other reviewers, I've never played Plok. I listened to the mix, and I was really "digging" them tunes(an appropriate word for the tone of the song, neh?). The bass line is nice and solid, the overall flow is quite melodious... and the song came to an end. Ah well, fun to listen to, I liked it...

... There's MORE? I had forgotten completely about the solo. It comes in and blows me away. I have to disagree with DjP, I don't think the richness of the un-synthed music overshadows the sampled stuff, I think it adds to it and makes it that much more fun to hear. If I had to make one suggestion, I'd say that the cymbal crashes maybe were a tad too common. I dunno, it just was one of those things that stuck in my ear. I can say nothing else bad about this mix, it immediately went on to my next CD list. Bravo.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, I thought I was the only one! But to the point, this is a very good mix. It was the second one I downloaded from OC; I've got about 15 more now, and this is still my favorite (really slow [4kbps] internet + 3 weeks = 17 songs.)

It's very upbeat and lively in style, the kind of thing you listen to when you need to be perked up. It moves along nicely, and the trombone part near the end is great, especially with the slowdown/pause before it.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You can always hear how much fun Mazedude is having when you listen to one of his arrangements. Plus I just love that it always sounds like it's a video game. Mazedude has an uncanny ability to create VGM remixes that sound like they should replace the game's original audio. Kinda like what the companies do when they put out arranged albums. It didn't used to be orchestral arrangements and stuff. There was a lot of simpler stuff like this on those arranged CDs - Chrono Trigger, Nintendo samplers, and so on.

But anyway, if you played Plok! that makes it even better because the game was so damn weird that this music is the only thing that makes sense out of it. I personally wasn't too big of a fan of the game OR the music, but I do love this mix.

• 1 year later...

What an unfortunately titled game. :/

The samples in this one haven't really stood the test of time, but the arrangement is still hot out of the oven. Great sequencing; the piano is really nice, and the rotary is super fast, but I like how it is used.

The lead up to the Trombone and chiptune solo section was really well executed, and the whole song gives a great feeling of fun and exuberance.

I think some updated samples for this one, and maybe some live acoustic guitar would really make it be a standout. As is, it's still pretty good.

I never played the game; in fact, back when it was new and I read about it in the video game magazines, I hated it.

However, I have been listening to this particular remix time and again over the last few years. It's a quirky, funny tune, and lifts your mood instantaneously. Mazedude always delivers quality stuff, and this remix is no exception.

Also, this song not only makes me look forward to the upcoming Tim Follin tribute album, but has also made me want to finally play Plok. Good job.

• 10 months later...

For me, these elements make the mix:

Dual electric guitars (start) - Simultaneously mellow and upbeat.

Clapping drums (0:06) - Seriously, these drums sound like claps. Weird but cool.

Cross-panned drum quotes (every so often) - Gotta admire how they fuel the mix's momentum.

Bass (0:12) - A vibrant, balancing heart.

Golden synth (0:36, 2:16) - It sounds like it came from an electric guitar touched by King Midas.

Crashing Boom Bang attack (1:17, 2:59) - a.k.a. drum+cymbal clash, it's a welcoming bomb to drop out of nowhere.

Piano (1:25) - Such icicle-cool improv.

And these are the things I can't get into:

Unharmonica (0:11) - Something about the way it warbles loosely makes me feel icky.

Brass (1:00) - Despite its noble intentions, it plays its notes in a plain/tacky manner.

The breakdown into slow silence (1:46 - 1:52) - It saps the mix of energy and drags my mood down with it. :(

Trombone (1:53) - There's a slight breath right before it starts playing, which is obvious in the silence of the false ending it follows; a risky first impression. It also gets overpowering, especially near the end.

The arrangement on the whole - This isn't the ReMixer's fault; I never got into Plok's Main Theme to begin with, and if the ReMixer wants to keep/expand upon the feel of the source, you can't argue with his choice.

• 6 months later...

Mazedude once again exels at spinning a rainbow of instruments and curiosities our way, all culminating into one hyperactive bundle of win. Flawless in design and execution. The samples are pretty crappy most of the way through, but I kinda like that about this. Mazedude almost seemed prepared for that, making this extra candy-coated and hard-edged to transcend any dated sounds.

Of course, the trombone and piano must be mentioned, as they are as excellent as I'd ever ask anything to be. I love the hell out of this, so much so that its flaws become points of praise. Pure, uncensored fun all for the sake of kickass music. Long live Mazedude.

• 1 month later...

Very weird title for a game, never played it either.

Samples are a little rough and a little dated, but it doesn't really take away from the track a lot. The piano and the trombone are the true stars of this piece, and really give the feeling of a party happenin' on the streets of New Orleans.

It's Mazedude, and it's fun. :nicework:

• 3 weeks later...

*Toothy grin*

This just might be the happiest remix on this site.

I love every second. I know the source, so this was no less than a treat. The added accompanyment, the true-to-the-source yet refined sounds, and, of course, the trombone... well done, sir. The keyboard and trombone sections were highlights (love the breakdown before the trombone!), and everything was brought together to an innovative, adroit climax.

This was made in 2002? Ha! Just as fresh today as it ever was. That should speak for itself.

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00782 - Plok "Title Jam"