OCR02336 - Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin & Dracula X "The Whip's Memory"

djpretzel

At first when I saw this mix I was going to complain about unnecessarily silly, little things like how I wish this track had remixed some Yuzo Koshiro sources since it's been five appalling months since anything from him has been mixed (both the source tunes used here are Michiru Yamane tracks specifically), and how the title is actually the name of a boss and so it's as derivative as it is classy.

Then I listened to the mix and was like HNNNNNNNGGG SO GOOD and all my other comments just suddenly sounded stupid.

I'm really loving your style! So many tiny and clean sounds playing together on top of that massive beat and bass :D Plus a whole lotta nostalgia.

While I have your attention, I want to point out that the first 10 or so seconds on your entry for the GRMRB round 1 "Blowing'em outta the water" is probably the cheeriest 10 seconds I've heard in any song. Always gets me in a good mood!

Pretty good. I'm definitely hearing WillRock-style. I'd almost say this should be considered a Rondo of Blood/Dracula X remix though. "The Hidden Curse" is only there for a couple seconds, and "Bloodlines Bequeathed" was already a remix of "Opposing/Divine Bloodlines".

Also, the title is called "The Whip's Memory" because that's what you're fighting when "Bloodlines Bequeathed" plays. It's more a straightforward title than anything else. Kind of funny seeing these clueless responses chalking it up as profound because they don't know the context there. :razz:

For some reason that lead synth just catches in my head. Sweet mix, if a bit on the simple side arrangement-wise. There are some areas where I think it sounds a bit dry, like that one part where a wub comes up - it has a strange sound to me and it could use some tweaking there.

Otherwise, good job! This is a pretty creative take on what is pretty much a traditional Castlevania melody.

The youtube preview was really good. The mp3 is awesome. :grin: Anyways, the mp3 feels a lot more stereo, which helps clear up any muddiness I heard from the video. I've listened to this twice now; I don't think I'm going to get bored of this soon. :)

My only gripe is that it feels a bit short, and the cutoff is a bit sudden. :-| It doesn't hurt it too much, though. Keep up the good work; I look forward to hearing more! :)

Also, the title is called "The Whip's Memory" because that's what you're fighting when "Bloodlines Bequeathed" plays. It's more a straightforward title than anything else. Kind of funny seeing these clueless responses chalking it up as profound because they don't know the context there. :razz:

This.

Shame on you people for mistaking me for a contemplative individual.

Seriously.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys, really really much appreciated, and glad you guys enjoy :D

Lovely remix, but what kills it is the file quality: MP3 160kbps... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! What the shell are the OCR staff thinking with all the low bitrate MP3 files? This is the case with album releases too: the MP3 albums are low quality, so I have to manually make MP3 320kbps files from the FLAC and WAV albums... Even the newest album follows this sad trend :(

MADNESS!!! THIS IS OCR!!!

/kick high quality mp3 files down into the endless pit

Edited by StigtriX

Lovely remix, but what kills it is the file quality: MP3 160kbps... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! What the shell are the OCR staff thinking with all the low bitrate MP3 files? This is the case with album releases too: the MP3 albums are low quality, so I have to manually make MP3 320kbps files from the FLAC and WAV albums... Even the newest album follows this sad trend :(

MADNESS!!! THIS IS OCR!!!

/kick high quality mp3 files down into the endless pit

Don't worry, next tiem ill hog ur file space :razz:

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't played this game but I love the Castlevania series and this tune stay unique while fitting into what my mind defines as "Castlevania Soundtrack". I like the fun of this one, along with the complexity. It feels like this mix is always moving, always changing. It's such an enjoyable song that it's hard to imagine vampire killing as hard work.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02336 - Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin & Dracula X "The Whip's Memory"