What are you reading?

Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Sainte-Exupéry :P

I'm through the four semesters of general French now and would like to make that leap to the next level.

My next book will be Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.

I had to read both of those for my french class >_> Le Petit Prince was a great book.

I've been reading all the starcraft books lately, just read I, Mengsk, and starting Queen of Blades. Also re-reading the Coldfire trilogy by C.S. Friedman. Amazing books imo.

• 3 weeks later...
The Mistborn Trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages)

This trilogy is the best fantasy story I've ever read.

So I just finished reading these. They were actually as awesome as promised. Kudos to JadeAuto for pointing them out. (Now I just have find a copy of that Phoenix Legacy one he mentioned...)

Wow, Mistborn is that good, eh? I read his first published novel Elantris and expected Mistborn to be good, if nothing truly exceptional.

Currently reading A Cruel Wind by Glen Cook, more specifically the 3rd book of the omnibus, All Darkness Met. I like it ok, I just wish he'd throw in more detail. Next up might be the Mistborn series...

(Now I just have find a copy of that Phoenix Legacy one he mentioned...)

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Lamb-Book-Phoenix-Legacy/dp/0595143350/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244575214&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Swan-Book-Phoenix-Legacy/dp/0595143377/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244575214&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/House-Wolf-Three-Phoenix-Legacy/dp/0595143393/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244575214&sr=8-3

If you want them new, it's ~$60. However, I consider it worth it, and I purchased this version. It'll last me 20+ years. :)

Wow, Mistborn is that good, eh? I read his first published novel Elantris and expected Mistborn to be good, if nothing truly exceptional.

I'm actually re-reading Elantris right now. It's not as good as the Mistborn Trilogy, but it's a good stand-alone romp. Mistborn ups the awesomeness by a factor of 10.

My next book will be Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.

Amazing book, I can't stress that enough.

I'm currently re-reading The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony. Anyone interested in fantasy/sci-fi novels should definitely pick up this series if you haven't already.

I've been reading 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene; definitely not an easy read, but its an interesting social commentary of various power figures in history. Though it does kinda throw morals out the door.

Regardless, its a great read, for those who want something a little challenging.

I am halfway through Dune Messiah, the second of the classic trilogy by Frank Herbert. I enjoyed Dune, especially the first half or so. Dune Messiah has some real good moments too. Sometimes its a bit more philosophical than I'd care for, but always in context. I'll finish up the series and then maybe hit up that mistborn series mentioned a page or so back on this thread.

Musimathics (Volume I): The mathematical foundations of music by Gareth Loy. It's pretty awesome. So far, it's talked about physical properties of sound, the ear, how circles can be used to provide insight/math into simple harmonic motion and sound, psychoacoustics, the beginning of the interval and scales, and a whole lot more. I look forward to Volume II when I finish Volume I (I am maybe 1/3 the way in) as it has more to do with digital signal processing and other things.

Just got through Gene Luen Yang's American Born Chinese. Shockingly poignant with really in-your-face caricatures of stereotypes concerning the Chinese-American and other Asian communities. The setup of three concurrent stories that all fall together makes it all the more enjoyable.

Going through Fareed Zakaria's The Post-American World. More accurately a manifesto of global optimism than a substantive analysis. Still makes some good points though.

Also continuing read Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi. God damn this book is huge.

I am halfway through Dune Messiah, the second of the classic trilogy by Frank Herbert. I enjoyed Dune, especially the first half or so. Dune Messiah has some real good moments too. Sometimes its a bit more philosophical than I'd care for, but always in context. I'll finish up the series and then maybe hit up that mistborn series mentioned a page or so back on this thread.

I have the entire Dune series written by Frank Herbert. I'd like to finish them up after I reread Dune since it's been so long since I've read that one.

Currently I'm reading through Mass Effect Revelation by Drew Karpyshyn. Reading it to get hyped up for the next game and to read a bit of the back story of David Anderson. If you played the game before you'll definitely recognize much of the technology and the descriptions of some are almost word for word the same as what's in the game. It's an easy read, action packed and I'm about a 1/3 of the way through. I'm mostly reading on my lunch break, so that explains the slow pace.

The previous book I read was Spider Star by Mike Brotherton. It's a hard science fiction novel, i.e. it has a lot of explanation for the technology and it's plausible for the future. Thankfully it doesn't get bogged down in technobabble and it has decent character development. In the future, humanity has colonized the planet Agro abandoned by an extinct alien race orbiting the star Pollux. While investigating Agronaut technology on a moon, a cataclysmic weapon from the star itself was activated, lashing out a stream of hot plasma and general star material. We have to find out a way to stop that and the only clues we have are from Agronaut folklore.

The next book I'm going to read is Mass Effect Ascension then probably move on to Mindscan by Robert J. Sawyer. As you can see I'm a fan of sci-fi and I have a lot of sci-fi books to finish up.

But seriously. "the lost world". Having a little trouble getting into it.

That's because Michael Crichton isn't a very good writer. Yeah that's right I went there!

Also I just finished Consider Phlebas by Ian M. Banks. It was an alright read, but ended rather lamely; it seemed like there was really no point to the whole thing.

I've started reading Children of the Mind.