Beijing 2008

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Personally I'm excited to see the soccer(go Italy/Germany), Taekwon Do, and Fencing matches.

The Taekwondo was pretty boring last summer olympics so hopefully it's better this year.

I lack a TV right now though so I have no idea how much I'll get to see on the internet. If I were home right now I'd probably have it on whenever I'm near a TV, but that's not possible unfortunately.

I think China will do very well this year, simply because they would be the only teams that have practiced in that wonderful, thick Beijing "mist" that covers everything.

All those countries with cleaner air are going to be fucked once they have to start breathing in that shit.

QFT. Apparently the index is at 94 right now (with a level of 100 being unfit for children and the elderly).

Yes let's make the 8 or so years of the Olympics going down the shitter EVEN worse. How do we do that? By letting a controversial country host them. I suppose it can't get any worse...I hope! What really irked me was the Committee going oh sorry to Iraq or Iran (I forgot which) but you can't participate cause your government is having some slight problems. Glad they reneged on that. They need to start making new events based on WMDs and dictators. Hehe. I can think of a few countries that would win the Gold Medal in those events easily.

I'd rather not see things go political in this thread even though it already has. But really, the pollution is probably the one thing that I have against China holding the Olympics. It's a huge problem for them in general, and they should have started taking precautions way back when, maybe even once they got the pick for the 2008 Olympics. A month or two before the official ceremony is last minute.

Every Olympics seems to be the same. The US always seems to be pretty strong in some events but not consistently so, Men's Swimming and Women's Soccer to be one. You never really know with the US. It's hit or miss. Phelps looks to be still strong if not stronger than last time. But Women's soccer is really weak having lost a couple of players to injuries. But it's not like I'm rooting against them. After the whole Paul Hamm ordeal, I'm not really looking forward to Men's Gymnastics this time around compared to last time. China also seems to have a lock on rings. Taucer could probably back me on this. He's just too good.

It's exciting to see the top athletes from around the world compete though. My favorite events would probably be gymnastics, diving, table tennis or tennis (if they ever air the matches), and I'm sure there are more. I just can't think of them all. Most of the track and field seems to bore me. But after that Jamiacan guy broke the record at the preliminaries, the 100 and 200 meter look pretty good. I usually catch the 100 m because.. well.. why not? They're so fast that it only takes like 10-12 seconds for each heat.

I haven't seen it yet (though some of my co-workers have). But tonight NBC is supposed to air the opening ceremony for the Olympics and from what I can guess, it's really cool. I saw some pictures online and it'll be something to see.

I will of course be watching gymnastics closely.

Men's gymnastics won't be particularly suspenseful, at least not in the team competition. China will win the Team Gold. Chen Yibing will win Gold on rings, Xiao Qin on pommel horse, and Li Xiaopeng on p-bars. Floor, highbar, and vault are still up in the air, I guess.

The women's side, however, will probably be very close, between China and the US.

Agreed. I was honestly not expecting it to be so over-the-top INCREDIBLE.

The opening was one of the most amazing things to be shown on T.V. No words can detail how beautifully done it was! I was in awe!

Let's hope the Dream Team (Team USA's Basketball team) will not fail as like they did four years ago.

The opening ceremonies were amazing - easily the coolest opening I've ever seen on television. But, one must remember, this is China's 'welcome to the world' party - much like Tokyo was supposed to be in '44, before it got cancelled. Nonetheless, it was a fitting celebration for a nation now shedding its 100 years of humiliation.

Congrats to China!