OCR01000 - Super Mario RPG "Booster Tarantino"

djpretzel

Very nice, I like the sax. I understand what you're saying about the surf/rock genre, you've captured quite a bit of that feel in this song. It stops a little short (though I can't put my finger on what's missing), but congrats on 1000, and this is a very worthy remix. 8)

I'm going to have to agree with endblink here. When I first started listening to the mix, I thought something had gone wrong with the speakers due to the graininess which seemed uncharacteristic. If it was intended to be that way, I'm not a fan. Until reading some reviews, I had assumed it might have been a technical error somewhere along the line. The instrumentation was great, but the production see,ed a touch slumped (not like DJP at all). This is one of only 4 mixes done by DJP that I haven't kept.

How can you hate a saxophone? You're an idiot.

As for the piece, it's pretty nice. The synth sax holds up pretty well. Really missed the whammy bar on the guitar parts.

And why Tarintino? Why not The Revels or Dick Dale and the Deltones?

Ah, Pretzel. Sometimes forgetting to give credit where credit is due.

Definitely one of the better djpretzel remixes.

This is true - Tarantino might deserve some credit for popularizing surf music, but either of those references would have been more directly and legitimately crediting the genre. I did consider that. I guess my rationale was more that I was specifically picturing the intro to Pulp Fiction in my mind when I was planning the mix, so it was the inspiration instead of the most appropriate mix title to denote homage to the genre.

How can you hate a saxophone? You're an idiot.
Yes. God forbid anyone has an opinion different from "The Great Mustin". Hey, I thought flaming was looked down upon in the ReViews section. stare.gif

Ah, Pretzel. Sometimes forgetting to give credit where credit is due.

Ironically, this coming from the guy who made a HUGE stink when someone suggested a "ReName the ReMixes" game, stating that the title of the ReMixes are personal and shouldn't come under scrutiny (more or less). Hmm...

I finally snapped and joined the board. I love this site!

But back on topic, I love this remix! DjPretzel has, in my opinion, done an excellent job on this remix. It's unique when compared to his other works. It sort of reminds me of this certain song from Rurouni Kenshin, in the beginning, right when the sax joins in as a main instrument.

The surf-ish theme is pulled off well. You made a good choice when picking the remix to use, too. I've never thought of Buuki as the srufing type, but now that a picture it, it does look kind of hilarious.

The jazzy deep bass guitar in the back compliments the theme well. The song is almost distorted in it's loudness, unless it's just this computer, but I kind of like it. It gives you the impression that someone was at a summer beach concert or something, and then recorded one of the songs and brought it home to shoi his friends.

I really like that main guitar, and the organ in the beginning is so beach-esue. Kinda reminds me of the Beach Boys, a little...

You done good, DjPretzel. I didn't like this quite as much as Pachelbel's Ganon, but that's okay, since it's a different style of music. Just because I don't favor it quite as well as another, it doesn't make it less good.

You're my hero, Pretzel. now, I'm off to my keyboard, to work on that song, and try to turn it into some pitiful excuse for a remix! And while it may be pitiful, you have inspired me to do my best! (choir voice on keyboard)

::End Cheesy Jibberish::

~Ex-Mage

• 4 weeks later...

I flipped this on and wanted to start rockin' out right away. Nothing like compressed dynamics to serve up that grainy old sound. A few pops and crackles and you'd have a beaten up old beach party album, all ready for the listen. I like it even more after the minute mark, when it just wanders off into the guitar & organ riffin'. Great job.

I want this as boss music, damn it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I first heard this on ormgas, and immediately I thought 'wtf, y teh fuxxor r tehy playing teh ghey moozak?' but then I immediately realized 'OMG tihs is teh Pulp Fiction!' and I realized I had to make another CD so soon after my last one. =D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This sounds so deep and Loud! I love the style, I love the sound, like the above guy said, this should be a crime!

The intro gives a good first impression and it only gets better, as the 1000th remix, it only leaves OC with a better impression!

Great Stuff!!

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01000 - Super Mario RPG "Booster Tarantino"