OC ReMix Panel @ MAGFest - Ideas?

djpretzel

We've got our usual spiel that we'll do, and there's plenty of stuff to cover from 2009 and plenty of plans for 2010, plus DKC2 should be out by then, but does anyone have any other requests/ideas/suggestions?

MAG is a little different since most of the folks at the panel are already pretty familiar with the site, so I'd prefer we use the time more for Q&A, etc., then explaining who we are and what we do... thoughts?

Site changes, forum updates, more info on how blogs might be.

Though, I suppose those would be better for a "forum update" post rather than something to talk about at a panel.

Well, you know, at M5 I think it was, after the actual OCR panel, 8-9 of us all found an empty room and sat down in a circle and talked about the site, bouncing some ideas around. For some reason a panel - chairs facing forward, presenters at table, etc. - didn't seem as effective as this small meeting, in terms of specifically discussing the site conversationally. I've talked w/ Brendan before about actually doing two panels - larger one where we do the usual, DEFINITELY gonna reprise some HDR challenges, trivia, site news, etc., but maybe a smaller panel just for like a roundtable discussion of site details, technical Q&A, whatever... might just do something ad-hoc if it doesn't get onto the actual schedule...

I liked the "composition demo" from Otakon '08. Since, as you said, most people there already know about OCR, you'll have more time to go more in-depth on that subject. Maybe even if each of the panelists talked about their personal setup and how they go about composing and remixing.

I've always believed that details behind the actual creation of the music should comprise more of OCR's PR, as that is the crux of what the site is about.

Since this is a more "mature" audience, it might be cool to do a 'live judging' on a track that's on the queue. Show people the source, the mix, then break it down for them, talk about the good stuff, production issues, etc. with a lot of referrences back to the mix (especially if you play everything you're talking about). Then, since you'd probably want to play a yes'd track, have it release that night.

Just my thought.

Since this is a more "mature" audience, it might be cool to do a 'live judging' on a track that's on the queue. Show people the source, the mix, then break it down for them, talk about the good stuff, production issues, etc. with a lot of referrences back to the mix (especially if you play everything you're talking about). Then, since you'd probably want to play a yes'd track, have it release that night.

Just my thought.

Added benefit of getting one more mix done. :<

I too had thought about doing something like this at Otakon, but there's a lot to explain. It's only interesting for those who know the process, making Magfest a good place to try it. Though this makes it less fun, we'd probably have to pre-judge the track to make a fair vote on it if we want to post it. Not a good idea to base my decision on some overhead speakers. Otherwise, we could do a mock vote that doesn't really count. I'd prefer to go with the latter, it's more fun. The other advantage is we could involve anyone, really, doesn't have to be current judges.

Added benefit of getting one more mix done. :<

I too had thought about doing something like this at Otakon, but there's a lot to explain. It's only interesting for those who know the process, making Magfest a good place to try it. Though this makes it less fun, we'd probably have to pre-judge the track to make a fair vote on it if we want to post it. Not a good idea to base my decision on some overhead speakers. Otherwise, we could do a mock vote that doesn't really count. I'd prefer to go with the latter, it's more fun. The other advantage is we could involve anyone, really, doesn't have to be current judges.

Absolutely right. The idea that people at magfest overall have a better idea about remixing in general than the populace at Otakon was my basis of the idea.

I was also thinking that it would be pre-judged (hence "Live"), or if you wanted to do more of a joke thing, make a joke mix, if someone wanted to whip something together. Mostly I was thinking that it would be something where someone could really see where the judges make the connections that they do, and how they would arrive at the decision they did.

Play "Name that OCReMix"! It'd be pretty sweet for a 10 year anniversary, to go through the OCR catalog a bit, and would work really well since Magfest is more tuned into the site and it's mixes.

Maybe have two teams of three audience members, so they could confer, and have each song be worth up to 3 points. 1 for the Mix title, 1 for the game it came from, and 1 for the ReMixer. Both teams write down their answer, and then MC Liontamer reads the answers aloud. First team to 10 points (for the 10th anniversary) wins!

Maybe have the winning team go up against a panel of Judge "experts" for a bonus prize. :o

Play "Name that OCReMix"! It'd be pretty sweet for a 10 year anniversary, to go through the OCR catalog a bit, and would work really well since Magfest is more tuned into the site and it's mixes.

I think this is a cool idea, and live judging with a mock vote would be very cool as well. I think it would be cool to at least do something to make the OCR panel a little more fun for those who are already well aware of what OCR does/have sat through a lot of panels before.

Maybe have two teams of three audience members, so they could confer, and have each song be worth up to 3 points. 1 for the Mix title, 1 for the game it came from, and 1 for the ReMixer. Both teams write down their answer, and then MC Liontamer reads the answers aloud. First team to 10 points (for the 10th anniversary) wins!

Maybe have the winning team go up against a panel of Judge "experts" for a bonus prize. :o

I definitely like this idea.

Would the judges do the DJP, the BGC, or the Liontamer?

Well, obviously, they'd all do their own dance, and if they don't have one yet, they'll have to invent one.

The OA would consist of air-guitaring/saxophone-ing. (see? I don't HAVE to make a shiny-head reference)

The Another Soundscape would be beard-stroking.

The DarkeSword would consist of pantomiming permabans.

The zircon would consist of mouse-clicking (for making beetz and plaing HoN).

The Palpable would be some kind of...something.

You see where I'm going with this.

Re: Live judging: How about taking two tracks, a narrow yes and a narrow no, and do a "you be the judge" thing? Then after a few audience members go up and judge it (maybe pick 5 people out and make a panel out of them) reveal the results and go over the finer details of why each was what it was.

e: Might also want to make sure the NO'd guy is okay with his track being paraded in such a manner.