OCR01955 - Secret of Mana "Sea/Sky"

djpretzel

The intro is cool; it feels like a radio tuning in. It's also got a very smooth organic techno vibe going on which I'm really digging. This is some intensely purposeful open road traveling music, imo.

It makes for an interesting listen; the cadence doesn't feel sinusoidal and organic but very escalating and linear before suddenly falling back to some baseline position.

Ultimately, I like it a lot and recommend checking it out.

I can't lie, the really fake strings did bother me a bit :? Once you got into the thick of the mix and they were a bit more covered up it felt okay, but even if you weren't going for realism that part of the song didn't jive with me.

That said, the rest of this is classic Ziwtra just like I've come to love. The flute and the electric piano chords especially sound good!

I've been listening to Ziwtra's music so much lately, it's perfect for long, contemplative car rides and this one will fit right into that rotation. Awesome stuff!

I can't lie, the really fake strings did bother me a bit :? Once you got into the thick of the mix and they were a bit more covered up it felt okay, but even if you weren't going for realism that part of the song didn't jive with me.

I didn't get the impression that they were supposed to sound real at all. If anything, they sounded a lot like the actual SNES strings from the Secret of Mana game. Everything but the drums has that chilled out synthetic feel too it. Even the guitar, which is obviously real, had enough effects to fit the electronic aesthetic.

I don't know why, but I really like the drums in this song. They've got a simple organic vibe to them, and the just kinda keep chugging along... especially in the first half of the song... kinda gives a 70s disco feel to the whole thing.

Great source choice, I misread it at first and then when I realized what song it was it was one of those... "oh snap!" moments. Great chillout type atmosphere at times with a low key groove but a lot of changes to keep it interesting, as usual the piano is one of my favorite parts.

Untapped Secret of Mana source material, easy winner, but in all seriousness, this mix is great.

Whoa - this is pretty unique stuff compared to Ziwtra's other songs on OCR, but then again, all of his stuff is unique. I guess I don't really expect a plodding laid back mix from him when compared to some of his prior work.

What I find impressive about this song though is the stuff going on in the background - it's pretty obvious that a lot of attention to detail was made with all that is going on. Great job!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Another interesting intro from Mr. Hahn. I wasn't feeling the GM intro samples being so exposed. They worked a bit better with the other instrumentation though. I can't really my finger on the sound here, but I have to say that I don't feel this one meshing as well as some of the others that we've heard from Youngjin. However, the middle section with the jazz flute and the funk guitar brought this back around for me. Loving the fell of this part; I could've listened to that all the way through. Laying low on the GM synths felt better after in the opening section. Even though they build backup after the breakdown section, it feels a bit more natural this time around. The piano is probably my favorite color instrument. After listening, I think I know what bothers me about the GM and it's the high legato strings. The sound is just too grating in comparison to the smooth nature of this track. Outside of that, I definitely found this one grooving.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Ditto on the Secret of Mana + vibe.

Though SoM+ has a bit more of that artsy jap pop style going on, sort of like ryuichi sakamoto.

This is really chill though. I thought the second half couldve easily included more source stuff, i was hearing it in my head even. But i guess you were going for more of a reductionist type thing, which is cool too.

Just a pleasant tune with a lot of SoM to it...but on many other levels than notation. As far as that goes, it's pretty liberal indeed.

I'm glad though that stuff like this can get a spotlight here.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01955 - Secret of Mana "Sea/Sky"