What new album dissapointed you?

It may sound like a really depressing thread, but I guess sometimes we just wanna get our anger out!

I just heard the newest Rhapsody (of Fire) album, and it really sucks IMO.

All their in-your-face glory, memorable themes and epic narration has been turned to dust to me.

Symphony of Enchanted Lands II was great, had a lot of great tunes.. It was like a climax for the band, then the Triumph or Agony album came and spit in my face lol

Now Frozen Tears of Angels... man... what a dissapointment.

It's like the arrangement and guitar stuff is all over the place with no particular meaning. The same goes for the vocal tones.

I just wish they got their music into focus, making solid stuff again.

Not really an album per se, but I found Eurovision 2010 to be REALLY inferior to last year, in Moscow.

Not really recent, but I didn't dig the new direction with Portishead's third album - I'm still waiting for Dummy Part II, I guess; I thought it was rather silly how they abandoned their initial sound, there was more territory to explore within that framework.

Not really recent, but I didn't dig the new direction with Portishead's third album - I'm still waiting for Dummy Part II, I guess; I thought it was rather silly how they abandoned their initial sound, there was more territory to explore within that framework.

Really? I almost like Third more than Dummy. Yes, the whole album is guitar/synth- based rather than tape sample- based, but I don't think that's a bad thing. In the new instrumental context, as in the old one, they still do things that conventional wisdom says you aren't "supposed" to do, like sustaining at length a single obnoxious synth timbre (We Carry On), deliberately abusing the machine-gun repeating sample effect (Machine Gun), and using a guitar track that sounds like a bad take on a cheap instrument (The Rip). The non-conventional production values are still there. To me, though, the thing that really makes Portishead so much better than other trip-hop groups is the strong song-writing, which is just as present on Third as on Dummy.

i was one of those hoping for dummy pt 2, so third was definitely a bit disorienting at first. it grew on me though. the rip is a beautiful song, up there with their best.

The latest Way Out West album was very disappointing, definitely not liking the simplified 80's-inspired direction they took, apart from the vocal tracks. U2's and Depeche Mode's latest albums were both lackluster, especially considering that the albums that immediately proceeded them were really good (How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, Playing the Angel). I've been feeling let down by a bunch of old favorites lately, though the Pet Shop Boys album last year was one of their best ever.

It may sound like a really depressing thread, but I guess sometimes we just wanna get our anger out!

All their in-your-face glory, memorable themes and epic narration has been turned to dust to me.

Symphony of Enchanted Lands II was great, had a lot of great tunes.. It was like a climax for the band, then the Triumph or Agony album came and spit in my face lol

It's like the arrangement and guitar stuff is all over the place with no particular meaning. The same goes for the vocal tones.

I thought Frozen Tears of Angels wasn't bad - had some good songs.

I heard Muse's latest album The Resistance a few days ago...now THAT is a crappy album.

I was actually a little disappointed in this, no offense. After the other two volumes - at 62 and 107 minutes respectively - the SMK album's 36 minutes just felt like a letdown, especially after the numerous delays. I understand building a really good album is a difficult job, and quality > quantity, but sometimes quantity IS a form of quality. All of the songs on the SMK album were good - up to your usual par - but there simply wasn't enough of a good thing on there.

Pardon if that sounds odd/misphrased - I don't mean any offense by it (but you're a cool enough guy that you won't jump to the wrong conclusions).

I really didn't like BT's These Hopeful Machines. Then I got over my big bad self and started to really like it. Every song has a pretty distinct feel and sense of atmosphere. Its definitely not my favorite album of his, but its pretty good.

Massive Attack's new album was a bit of a bummer for me though... None of the songs were terribly interesting or well-produced. I have a pretty tenuous appreciation for Massive Attack, though.

I may be in the minority here, but Pendulum's new album hasn't hit the same chord as In Silico for me. I'd say only about half the songs are listenable. I loved Hold Your Colour, LOVED In Silico and now the mixture of the two sounds for Immersion, i can't stand.

Was not impressed with 3 Inches of Blood's last two albums. Advance and Vanquish was epic, but after that they kinda went... I wouldn't say down hill, but just more in a direction musically that I'm not fond of.

Also found Nightwish's Dark Passion Play dissapointing. I mean, I like Symphonic Gothic Metal just fine, but not when there's a pop-singer-wannabe on vocals.

I always thought Power of the Dragonflame was an awful album.

I was more of a Symphony of Enchanted Lands guy.

Symphony of Enchanted Lands is awesome, I also dig the EP Rain of a thousand flames, love those tracks. Queen of the dark horizon, woo.. classic shit.

My guess is that Luca wants to do his solo projects more than he wants to do Rhapsody. He started pumping out solos albums around every corner and Rhapsody even had a break before this new album. I guess he didn't sell too well with his solo stuff, so he went back to the cash-in ;)

Symphony of Enchanted Lands is awesome, I also dig the EP Rain of a thousand flames, love those tracks. Queen of the dark horizon, woo.. classic shit.

My guess is that Luca wants to do his solo projects more than he wants to do Rhapsody. He started pumping out solos albums around every corner and Rhapsody even had a break before this new album. I guess he didn't sell too well with his solo stuff, so he went back to the cash-in ;)

Apparently there was some issue with Rhapsody and the Magic Circle Records, with a lawsuit. That probably had to do with it I'm guessing.

- Fucking Sleigh Bells, the press is all over them and they're the new hot indie band but I find them mediocre at best, and this is after seeing them live (which, if I was going to enjoy them, that would've been the place).

- Noisia's album was slightly disappointing, but mainly because it wasn't as groundbreaking as I think everyone was hoping it would be, still a solid album though.

- Foxy Shazam has gotten increasingly worse, which is sad because their first album had

- The Hold Steady's new album is pretty bad, which also sucks because their first 3 albums are phenomenal, and Stay Positive wasn't bad either. I'm sure they still kill it live but damn what a shame.

Its not all bad though because I actually kinda like Pendulum's new album. Its not great, and some tracks on it are pretty cringeworthy (I'm staring straight at you "Comprachicos") but overall its not the suckfest I found In Silico to be, so +1 to you Pendulum.

I just recently listened to Calvin Harris' most recent second album Ready for the Weekend and was totally disappointed. His first album had STYLE and was really unique. There were a lot of insanely catchy, funky tracks on there - that's why I was so ready for the new one. But the new album is totally different - it sounds like he completely sold out, and it's all really generic stuff that sounds like everything else.

I actually really really liked Third. It's obviously not like their earlier material, but it is very worth getting into. Also the 60's band The Silver Apples that they drew heavy inspiration from for that album is worth checking out.

I loved Triumph or Agony, hehe... I gotta be honest, the CDs released by bands I like have well exceeded my expectations. They involve but aren't limited to:

Pain of Salvation - Road Salt

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony

Ihsahn - After

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy

Wuthering Heights - Salt

As for the new Rhapsody of Fire.. I've only really listened to the first few songs, but I liked them. I haven't done a proper full listen yet.

I loved Triumph or Agony, hehe... I gotta be honest, the CDs released by bands I like have well exceeded my expectations. They involve but aren't limited to:

Pain of Salvation - Road Salt

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony

Ihsahn - After

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy

Wuthering Heights - Salt

As for the new Rhapsody of Fire.. I've only really listened to the first few songs, but I liked them. I haven't done a proper full listen yet.

Wish I agreed with you with the Pain of Salvation release. Personally, I rank it the lowest album they've released, it has nothing but bland guitar work. The styles doesn't go beyond what's been heard before. And the vocal parts doesn't quite cut it. It has some nice parts, but overall, really disappointing.

I could almost mention any tune from their previous album(s) and it beats the new album to pieces. Like Flame to the moth, hell, just the intro is better than the whole album LOL!!

BUT I have to say the track ''Sisters'' blew me away, AMAZING song, instant classic.