Do you have a favourite time signature?

Fernito

Either for composing or listening.

I was thinking about that the other day. I remember that when I started making music, almost everything that came out was on 6/8 time signature. I also remember that back in those days I tried to make a 5/4 song, and it came out pretty awful hahaha.

Currently, since I make music for my prog metal band, I usually compose using variable time signature, but I've come to the conclusion that my favorite one is 7/8. Despite being a not so common signature, for some reason it comes out very naturally for me. I also think that songs in 7/8 are kind of elegant, don't know why :-P

What about you? You have a favourite time sig?

I personally enjoy listening to fun stuff like 6/8, or the triplet-stuff, like 9/8 and what not, though most songs I do listen to end up in 4/4, really.

The far-out stuff (and I mean that tenuously), like 5/4, 11/8, and 7/4, are really fun and off-beat, and I would love to try to write something in one of those keys if I had the skill (well, I have the skill for 5/4, but the other stuff just sounds forced).

The closest I've gotten to writing something "out there" was a piano song in 5/8... And I'm thinking that was just a 6/8 song that I really messed up on.

Hmmm... I wrote a song in 11/16, but that was more becuase I specifically had the riff drop that many 16th notes from 4/4 (in this case 5) It went to 4/4 for the chorus.

It depends on the song, I'm arranging a bluesy number that has some 5/4 6/4 switching because its a nice feeling as opposed to just using 4/4

But anyway, I don't really care most of the time becuase its just a number.

Fave is 7/8