OCR01247 - Chrono Trigger "To Far Away Memories"

djpretzel

I like it. Mabey not the most technically complex piece ive ever heard, but sometimes simple is better. This is a piece I can just sit back and listen to. Its relaxing, its soft, its...gentle, is a term i would use i guess. No harsh chords, no nasty edges, no distorted and strained harmonies or melodies. etc etc and so-on. mabey it could be a little better, i have a pretty good ear but lack the technical knohow to say just how it could be better, so kudos to you, great mix, keep em coming. I look forward to your next work

all the positive things said so far and more. My god this is so beautiful. To think people can makes things like this and not get payed but hundreds of bands score record deals for the same note over and over again...

The creator should feel proud on this one. I mean how often can you truly improve on the original?

I don't post very often in these forums, as I usually don't have much of an emotional response to remixes (even ones I really like).

This one is different though. I'm a huge fan of acoustic guitar. That's a fact I simply won't apologize for, even if it's a major part of why I like this remix. I don't really have an ear for techno, trance, electronica, etc... though I know what I do and don't like in those particular areas. I do however, have an ear for acoustic guitar. I myself play guitar.

As a guitar hobbyist I love this piece. There is plenty of deviation from the original for me. I like pieces that deviate from the original, but not too much. This piece is just right, for me.

As far as the ideas of 'bad notes' or 'bad tuning' go... I really didn't notice the 'bad notes' in the third minute until I really checked for them. I have to agree with what one of the judges said... the notes are resloved by the following chord. Therefore, they work musically for me. As far as 'bad tuning' during sections... I haven't noticed it yet. At all.

The percussion doesn't detract from the piece for me as much as it might for some people. The string sound is very obviously electronic, which I don't like, and is most likely the only thing about this piece that I don't really like. I love this mix, and in addition, I'd like to hear a 100% solo guitar version. But that's just me. :)

So, overall, this is easily one of my all-time favorite Chrono Trigger remixes, and I have to say, "Neil, keep up the good work!" Definately an 10/10 for me.

Listening to this mix is a pretty unique experience to me; on one hand I've had it on repeat for about half an hour and I really like it; in general I really like acoustic guitars and pieces that utilise guitars only.

To the remixer (Neil Benjamin, I believe); great job.

However, I'd like to give additional comments which I believe you could take into consideration.

I would LOVE to see stronger guitar playing; it's true that right now it works well, but if you had a better guitar and more technical finesse I have NO DOUBT whatsoever with the current soul infused into play that the piece would become a masterpiece on OCRemix. Maybe you could revisit this song a few years on; it would be an ORGASMIC experience.

Ideas for stronger guitar playing include more grace notes, more improvisation and just more inbetween notes that you think fully express your feelings. The playing is pretty stuttered even when the notes go abit stuttered and it detracts from the experience abit. The Chrono Trigger arc around 3:40 suffers a little bit from out-of-tuneness.

You could rotate some instrumentation for the melody; for example, the lead guitar never ever stops playing and I personally think that giving the melody to the strings while the guitar rests for abit would add a nice dimension and give a refreshing re-entry of the guitar. I realise this is a kinda big suggestion but I think these kind of arrangements will give your mix more variation.

But like I said, just some additional comments. Great job.

Maybe you could revisit this song a few years on, it would be an ORGASMIC experience.

It would have to be one hell of a song to make you orgasm.

But I agree, kind of like what Vigilante has planned for Zebesian Midnight, reworking (now) after some time, just with the new skills and production techniques he has picked up, it would greatly please all the fans of your song, maybe even help a few reach that ultimate climax of musical experiences.

I just want to thank djp for standing up to the panel and fighting for this mix.

It's no secret I've had issues with the panel before and often times I've hoped for something like this to happen.

It's nice to see when active measures are taking to get great music like this posted for the fans.

Great work to both Neil for a truly wonderful song and to djp for getting it to us.

I just want to thank djp for standing up to the panel and fighting for this mix.

It's no secret I've had issues with the panel before and often times I've hoped for something like this to happen.

It's nice to see when active measures are taking to get great music like this posted for the fans.

Great work to both Neil for a truly wonderful song and to djp for getting it to us.

this song was brought to you by the panel, not because djp fought for it.

EDIT: Thanks for not being a smartass, but I think I'll stand by what I said.

Yea, you definately do not understand what happened. First version had pretty major issues. I was the one who worked with the author for hours getting the song fixed. The author got all the major issues fixed. The judge panel voted YES on the fixed version. I bet you never even heard the first version. The judge panel always recommends fixing problems and resubmitting. This is simply another case of an author fixing issues in a song the panel brought up, resubmitting, and now having a better, cleaner version on ocremix. The facts are all there, non-ambiguous, clear, and out in the open for everyone to see, and as such will remain regardless of how much you want to assume happened 'behind the scenes'. Now, lets have no more of this judge hate garbage on neil's review thread. Its very disrespectful to him.

I hadn't listend to any new Remixes in a while, but djp's write up on this one made me give it a go. I was pleasantly supplied. One thing I thought that sounded a bit out of place was the background bongo near the start, but as the main part of the song started, it blended in very nicely. The notes were nicely played out as well, and like others have said, very relaxing. Very good. It helped after a tough day :D

I'm glad this one survived the controversy. It starts out with a tune like the "California Dreaming" intro, then switches into playing the guitar to the tune of the ending theme of Chrono Trigger. I hate to repeat what others have already said, but this is a very soothing piece. It will be a pleasant diversion whatever the situation.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01247 - Chrono Trigger "To Far Away Memories"