Do you name your characters?

Thin Crust

Most of the current generation of games have names already preselected because of the use of voice acting. It would be pretty hard to add a custom name to a full voiced game. FF10 did it, but the result was that the main character's name was never spoken once throughout the game.

However, back in the ps1 era and before(along with many recent games), we could choose our own names if we wanted. Did you keep them default, or change them to something else? And if there wasn't a preselected name like Dragon Quest 8, what did you name them?

For final fantasy 7 and 8 no, probably because my friends also played those so we all just kept the default names so we knew who we were talking about.

But for FF6 and 9 i liked to name all the characters after my friends trying to match them up by characteristics and personality; such as in FF6 i'd name Edgar and Sabin after my brother and I as they too are twins like us (which incidentally is why i have edgar as my avatar WOW!)

lol. I'm following spoony's example and calling squall "Emo Git" and Rinoa "A whore" You get all kind's of great lines like:

Squall: We need to find a way to bring Ellone and A whore together

Mean Guy: Hey, is there A whore with you?

Rinoa: I'm A whore.

Zell: You're A whore's father?

And don't forget the dog Angelo is named: Anal.

A whore's limit break uses Anal. She can learn abilities like Anal search, Anal reverse, Anal cannon, Anal reverse.

Generally, for pre-selected names, I leave them the same. That's how they wrote the narrative, that's how I'll read it.

However, names that aren't pre-selected, I'll use one of several names, usually depending on the gender. Kenogu serves as a general-purpose character that doesn't seem too awesome at the moment. Midanya can serve as a woman or an effeminate-looking lead. Darte is usually for a more heroic-looking character.

Doesn't really help that you know nothing about the character you're naming the first time around, though.

For classic RPG games like Shining Force I usually made up a name ("Max" didn't sound very "heroic" to me)

but I never made up/edited names for simulation or sports games because to me it would just seem cheesy to have my own name on a Chicago Bulls jersey #23 when it is already an inseparable trademark/signature.

If I don't like the names in modern rpg games I usually just skip the cutscenes if I can, but that's only if the names are

I find naming your lead male character "Mr. Bond" makes for some fun dialog. RPGs can take a very interesting tone with that name popping up again and again.

Zelda: OoT is great for this. Villains become cheesey Bond baddies, with lines like "Prepare to die, Mr. Bond!". The female characters magically become Bond girls, with lines that suddenly become double entendres. Even random throw away lines take on new meanings when coupled with a little Agent 007. Pokémon, Golden Sun, Final Fantasy... it all works.

Yes, "Mr. Bond" gets used in a lot of games I've played over the years, and it never gets old.

I tried that with Gollgagh once

it was really awkward

something about naming a character after myself (even if it's just a pseudonym) doesn't feel right

Well my name is Zack and the first time I played ff7 I named Cloud "Zack". I couldn't understand what was happening when the real Zack came into the storyline and they were all trying to figure out who he was.