The Game Boy 25th Anniversary Remix Album

The Damned

gameboyheader.png

The Game Boy 25th Anniversary Remix Album

April 21st, 2014 is the 25th anniversary of the classic portable gaming system, the Game Boy! 25 years! Wow, that's a long time.

The Game Boy was noted for being an unstoppable powerhouse of success. It consistently put down every challenger that appeared before it, despite being technologically inferior to everything else. There were other systems that had color screens, better graphics and sound, more buttons, bigger displays... and none of that mattered. The Game Boy sold on its strong library of games and it's long battery life, making it perfect for taking it with you on the road, to school or even just under the blankets in your bed at night.

It boasted a library of over six hundred games, sold more than 118 million units in it's lifespan, and was only finally laid to rest by not a competitor, but it's successor, the Game Boy Advance.

So, what's all this nostalgic waxing and Wikipedia quoting getting to? We want to make a remix album. Not about any one game or series, but about the system itself. Console albums exist already, but I can't think of one for the Game Boy.

What This Album Is About

We're going to have 25 tracks, one for each year we're celebrating. Each track will be selected from one of the many, many series that appeared on the Game Boy over its life.

This way, we get to remix lots of good music, and celebrate what is perhaps the most iconic video game system to ever exist. What? That sounds a bit far-fetched? Well, the Game Boy has not only appeared in various movies and TV shows, but it has also been mentioned in non-video-game music, appears as a popular culture icon in many works, and is known by both gamers and non-gamers alike. Can you say that about any other system? If so, good for you, but shut up, this is about the Game Boy.

The Requirements

1. Only one remix per series. That's right, one per series. Whether it's one song from one game out of a series, or a medley of the series' most memorable tunes, both are acceptable. But once that series is remixed, that's it. No more remixes for it.

We're doing this for a few reasons. First, there are hundreds of games in hundreds of series and stand alone titles. That means there are thousands of songs to choose from. Limiting it to one series helps narrow the list down by a massive amount. Second, this gives more obscure games a shot at getting remixed. As much as we all love the various Mario and Zelda tunes, there are other songs that are equally deserving of remixes. Why not give them a try?

2. Only 8-bit titles need apply. No Game Boy Advance or DS titles. Yes, we're including Game Boy Color games, because while it was a successor to the original Game Boy, it still ran the same resolution, sound and controls as the Game Boy. Color may have been a great upgrade, but the games were still Game Boy games.

3. Spin-offs are fine. Wario Land started out as part of the Super Mario Land series, but became its own series. Same thing for Pokemon: main series and the Trading Card Game are separate.

Timeline of Project

The nice thing about this project is we have a solid, undeniable date to release the album. April 21st, 2014. That's the day. Deadlines for WIPs and final versions will be based upon that day, as we need to have everything ready to go at least two months before that. I'd like three months just in case of any problems that arise.

So we have a set release date, deadlines and a schedule to follow closely. It may only be just over two years, but a lot can happen in that time, so I don't believe there will be any problem meeting this release date.

Talent Pool We Need

Remixers: Can't have a remix album without remixers. Any applicants will have to submit sample of their work for quality and talent control. Even known remixers will still have to submit something to show that they are able to work on this album.

Artists: for the cover, CD art, webpage and announcement video. Any artists will need to submit a portfolio (online, of course) of their work, and be able to complete an as-of-yet unknown number of pieces, in multiple styles. We'll select the best artist for the style of art we'll use for the album.

Website designers: The website for the album is important, because it's the first thing people will see when they go to get the album. It has to work smoothly and without fault.

Video editors: Those awesome videos that tease and announce the albums are really good to have. Youtube generates lots of attention, and that's exactly what the album will need when it's getting close to release. Again, you'll need to show us your past work to join.

Who Else Is Involved?

"But Mister Damned, sir," you're thinking, "who would join in on such a project? Everyone is already on one or more." You want to know who's already signed up for this project? I'll tell you who.

The Damned. Myself, of course.

WillRock. Will-motherfucking-Rock.

ProtoDome. Because he sexies up everything. Also offering his art skills as well as his remixing skills.

Halc. You may have heard of him.

Brandon Strader. Yeah, I've never heard of him either. But he swears he's good for it.

Rexy. I actually don't know who he is.

Others are welcome to join, but any applicants must submit samples of their remixing skills.

The Remix List

Games/Series already claimed:

Batman - WillRock

Alleyway - Protodome

Pokemon Pinball - Halc

Dragonball Z - Legendary Super Warriors - Brandon Strader

Donkey Kong Land - Rexy

TMNT2 - Level 99

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - DJ Mokram

Skate or Die: Bad 'N Rad - Drakken

Pokemon - Dusk

Final FantasY Legend - Moomba

The Legend Of Zelda - TheGuitahHeroe

We have a Google Docs page that will be updated more often than this post, so if you want to see what's been picked and by how, click here.

Thanks for reading!

Might I suggest some needed contributions?

-Final Fantasy Adventure / Seiken Densetsu

-Lufia: The Legend Returns (Great GBC music!)

-Kirby's Dreamland / Dreamland 2

As a little selfish side note, I'd love to hear Johnathan Dunn's

get some love. Dunn was a fantastic composer that was unfortunately stuck with Ocean of all game companies- his music is the only good thing about their games. Plus
was some of the most bitchin' stuff on the gameboy chip.

best of luck with the project!

I think that was even bundled with the GameBoy at one point.

This fact is very very obvious, to the point where being snarky in response is a huge temptation.

On topic, this project sounds like a great idea! If it's still in open mode after a year or so, I'll contribute something from FFL3, as that game gets very little love.

the GBA soundchip was much different- it had (on top of the four GB channels- one pulse, two square, and one noise I believe), it had 2 or sampling channels on top of that (might be wrong on the number of sampling channels). Its sound is by and large different than what the GB could produce, in a sense.

Might I suggest some needed contributions?

-Final Fantasy Adventure / Seiken Densetsu

-Lufia: The Legend Returns (Great GBC music!)

-Kirby's Dreamland / Dreamland 2

Yep, those are on the (currently informal) list of games. It's totally open for now, seeing how the project is just starting.

As a little selfish side note, I'd love to hear Johnathan Dunn's
get some love. Dunn was a fantastic composer that was unfortunately stuck with Ocean of all game companies- his music is the only good thing about their games. Plus
was some of the most bitchin' stuff on the gameboy chip.

WillRock was all "I'm doing this one, you can't stop me" when we were going over the games we'd like to see remixed. He's already claimed it.

-Wario Land (especially Wario Land 3).

-Kirby (there are lots of them)

-LoZ: Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages

-Mega Man Xtreme (1&2)

Yep, Wario Land and Zelda were obvious ones as well. I demanded Link's Awakening and WillRock was all "But what about Kirby?" and I said "Kirby was in Link's Awakening as an enemy in one of the dungeons, that counts".

Then he slapped me and I remembered that Kirby started out on the Game Boy, so it's only fitting.

Tetris

That's kind of a gray area. The trademark theme isn't original music for the game, it's traditional Russian folk music. OCR debated this one a few times with their own Tetris remixes. In fact, Tetris uses a lot of music from other sources.

I want to say yes, but at the same time, there's some concern over it. But it's also the iconic Gameboy game.

Sounds like fun. Is this for OCR?

I sure hope so. WillRock asked last night as we got the go-ahead for it right away.

I had a Gameboy but it was so long ago I don't remember what games I owned. Does GBA SP count?

I'll have to do some research and try to find out what I had.

Folds in half: GBA SP.

Horizontal instead of tall: GBA

Tall and brick-like: Game Boy

Tall and skinny with monochrome screen: Game Boy Pocket

Tall and Skinny with color screen: Game Boy Color

Tall and skinny with built-in light: Game Boy Light (Japan only)

Does that help?

1. Cool concept; GB needs more love!!
  2. PLEASE consider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turok:_Battle_of_the_Bionosaurs or anything else by Alberto Jose Gonzalez - he's one of the (largely) unsung masters of Gameboy VGM. He's also on Facebook and there's a *chance* he might be down for contributing a mix of his own. I'd really like to see a mix by him, a mix of his music, or both, on such an album.

For the record, anything goes as long as its Game Boy/Game Boy Colour. We have got suggestions , many of which damned has failed to mention in his first post like Zelda, Kirby and Final Fantasy :( (because a gameboy album without tetris for example is LUDICROUS) but its completely open to whatever you guys want series wise... with the exception of whats already taken... Better get on that!

Also, Feel Free to take robocop. I'm only focusing on one for now - batman. If Robocop hasn't been taken by the time thats done i'll claim it.

Anybody who wants to join, contact me with a link to a remix you've done. I want to keep a certain amount of quality control here, but nothing too strict don't worry :)

You guys should know whats been claimed and who is on the project imo, so here is the google doc - I'll be updating it as appropriate (damned, put this in the first post plz) https://docs.google.com/document/d/142_MYnfJsx0xCm7QNgN1v3c-5NNsljDsP3-C8W78lH0/edit?hl=en_GB

2. PLEASE consider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turok:_Battle_of_the_Bionosaurs or anything else by Alberto Jose Gonzalez - he's one of the (largely) unsung masters of Gameboy VGM. He's also on Facebook and there's a *chance* he might be down for contributing a mix of his own. I'd really like to see a mix by him, a mix of his music, or both, on such an album.

I didn't know the former Attorney General made music! :nicework:

I'm assuming that Super Mario Bros. Deluxe doesn't count, since it's a port from the NES game.

Folds in half: GBA SP.

Horizontal instead of tall: GBA

Tall and brick-like: Game Boy

Tall and skinny with monochrome screen: Game Boy Pocket

Tall and Skinny with color screen: Game Boy Color

Tall and skinny with built-in light: Game Boy Light (Japan only)

Does that help?

no I meant research what Gameboy games I had haha.. I moderly play a GBA SP. I guess it doesn't count for the project. :-) I remember I had a mario game. Not interested in remixing Mario though.

Errmm.... can I join this project? And figure out something to cover?

EDIT: The gbs file I got from Zophar was mislabeled, I will be talking to Willrock about what i am choosing

You know, having a big name like that on the album would be pretty cool.

Almost as cool as having a certain pretzel on the album as well (maybe if Alberto can't do a remix, someone else could in his stead?).

(hint hint)

About time Gunpei Yokoi's million-dollar-brick received some more luv around here. ;)

I'm up to remix some Metal Gear: Ghost Babel or Gargoyle's Quest.

Looking forward to that project coming to fruition. Definitely a great idea. :)

ps: dunno if this has been suggested yet, but Seiken Densetsu - Final Fantasy Gaiden has awesome music.

About time Gunpei Yokoi's million-dollar-brick received some more luv around here. ;)

I'm up to remix some Metal Gear: Ghost Babel or Gargoyle's Quest.

Looking forward to that project coming to fruition. Definitely a great idea. :)

ps: dunno if this has been suggested yet, but Seiken Densetsu - Final Fantasy Gaiden has awesome music.

Want me to mark down both of those for you? or just one?

I'm wondering whether to have a restriction on how many tracks you can claim at one time due to the one mix per series rule. That way, we won't have 5 series claims from one person and suddenly they are all dropped a year later.

Rexy, I've marked down your claim :)

Want me to mark down both of those for you? or just one?

I'm wondering whether to have a restriction on how many tracks you can claim at one time due to the one mix per series rule.

Nah don't worry Will, I'm not making multiple claims here. Just stating what game(s) I'll be up for arranging. :wink:

Gimme a couple days and I'll get back to you guys with a source claim and exemples of my work if needed.