OCR01453 - Chrono Trigger "Black Wind Rising"

djpretzel

Feels like I'm traveling through the history of music, there's hardly no music type that isn't in there. Maybe jazz or blues, but that would make it lose its hardcore. The serious strings never really let go, only around the middle it lose its gripe of it and instead lets the beats and synths of the arts of electronica take over the scene. And then at 3:00, dude, the acoustic guitar and electric bass is frigging sweet!

This is something for everyone. At least some parts of it. Way to go Star! :nicework:

The first time I listened to this, I didn't really enjoy the orchestral parts at all - second time I think they're pretty great, though!

Just wanted to mention that I really enjoyed this. Great synthwork especially.

Gotta love 2:18 and that whole section - that's my favorite part. If for nothing else, I recommend everyone to listen to this mix for the purpose of hearing this section. The crazy-pitched blips and insidiously catchy rhythm ... just so good :D it's the kind of groove that just doesn't come along often.

The other superlative I want to commend Star for is the arrangement of the source-tune - it's more subtle than I personally normally prefer, but the way the elements are presented and woven in is extremely clever, if seemingly too sparse.

Hooray for all the CT love lately! Perhaps there will be a day when I get sick and tired of hearing another new CT remix, but as for right now, I'd love to hear more and more. Especially hip orchestral arrangments like this. It's exactly what I'd expect from Star. An all around interesting and delightful arrangment worthy of your attention.

Wow, this is a very varied song. I liked the orchestral sections in the beginning. Which string samples were used for the short attacks near the beginning of the song? They're very good. Were they VSL? Well, nevertheless, they really maintained the tension in the original song. Awesome stuff.

Which string samples were used for the short attacks near the beginning of the song? They're very good. Were they VSL?

Sounds like Miroslav to me, but then again, every orchestra sounds like Miroslav to me right about now, since Miroslav is all I have and I play it for hours on end :P

But seriously, my guess would be Miroslav. Maybe Star will pop in and shed some light on the subject.

EDIT: I am informed that my guess was pretty bad :P

Ridiculousness. This song is so superb that adjectives must quiver and quake at the thought of having to make an attempt at describing the Zakossity of this work. Yes, Zakossity, a new word that means something better than anything preceding it ever, the only word that can adequately attest to this piece's mastery of the remixing art.

I just about cried when that organ-sounding thing came in... Kind of a Hammond B3 sound ya know?

This song is amazing... I really am speechless. I can't think of words to describe how cool and well put together this is. Battle with Magus is one of my favorite vg tunes too, so I suppose that helps a bit.

10/10. Easily.

THIS IS GREAT! This is a great song!

I mean, I usually find a song that I like, and then it has that one part that bugs me, or I listen to it too much. Not this one. I got this song within a half hour of it being posted, and just listening to it every time I think about it has been what caused me to prolong my opinions.

You perfectly captured the feeling of the song in your remix. You feel the intense and sinister ways of Magus in the orchestrations, and you can almost feel the hatred he holds. The song accuately depicts the battle and is so well composed that the fact that you have Rock, Techno, Classic Symphonic style, and what I can only describe as 'dark' brass, doesn't harm it at all. In fact every ingredient is perfect to the T and when you segued the acoustic guitar in the background of the 'whatever it is' organ, I wanted winamp to tell me that the song had a few more hours left. The synths and the incredible drums are put together with great experience and unmistakable skill.

:puppyeyes: **tears**

Thank You Star Salzman

My first hearing of this was incredibly well timed. I'd minimized World of Warcraft in Onyxia's Lair (big boss, epic fight etc) waiting for someone to turn up, and came across the mix. As I pressed play I went back into the game just as we begun to charge in, and it basically fit the fight perfectly. It just so happens it was the smoothest onyxia fight the guild ever did - science surely states that this is because I was listening to this at the time.

Good song.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01453 - Chrono Trigger "Black Wind Rising"