OC ReMix's First-Ever Commercial Album! For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man!

DarkeSword

cover-digital-embed.jpg

OverClocked ReMix and Capcom Present For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man

October 29, 2013

FAIRFAX, VA--OverClocked ReMix, in collaboration with Capcom, is proud to announce its first-ever commercially released arrangement album For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man®. The album pays tribute to Capcom's legendary sound team by arranging classic music from the first games of the Mega Man® franchise, a game series which has sold over 29 million units worldwide. For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man® is available for digital download on iTunes, CD Baby, and Amazon MP3, as well as on physical CDs available for pre-order on CD Baby. For more information on the album, visit http://mm25.ocremix.org.

This special two-disc arrangement album features 21 tracks in styles including electronica, rock, folk, funk, trip-hop, bluegrass, and acoustic guitar, as well as breathtaking artwork of the heroes of Mega Man® by rnn. Spanning the history of the Blue Bomber, For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man shines the spotlight on music from the first installments of Mega Man®, Mega Man® X, Mega Man® Zero, Mega Man® ZX, Mega Man Legends®, Mega Man Battle Network®, and Mega Man Star Force®.

Created in 1999 by David "djpretzel" Lloyd, OverClocked ReMix is the world's premier community dedicated to the promotion of video game music. OC ReMix first teamed with Capcom in 2008 to create the soundtrack for Super Street Fighter® II Turbo HD Remix, involving over 20 OC ReMix musicians and marking the first-ever AAA game soundtrack developed by a fan community.

"It's no secret that I've kind of made it my personal mission in life to fill the world with Mega Man remixes," says album director and long-time Mega Man fan Shariq "DarkeSword" Ansari. "I've always felt that the music from Capcom's legendary franchise is incredibly diverse, wonderfully catchy, and very approachable from an arranger's point of view. I'm happy to say that we got an incredible pool of talented artists to dig into all the different iterations of Mega Man and his games' music and put out some awesome tracks. I'm incredibly pleased with how this album turned out, and I'm very excited for everyone to hear it. I hope everyone out there will enjoy it as much as I do. Here's to 25 more years of Mega Man!"

Mega Man games are beloved by fans all over the world. Since their debut in 1987, Mega Man has remained a video game icon, having starred in more than 100 titles over the last 26 years. The connection he's made with pop culture at large has extended beyond games and into cartoons, toys, clothing, comics, and more. Part of that popularity is driven by the series' ability to evolve over time yet consistently retain the addictive gameplay experience that sets Mega Man games apart.

For more information on Mega Man, visit www.capcom-unity.com and megaman.capcom.com.

For more information on OverClocked ReMix and the community's complete catalog of interpretive video game music arrangements, visit ocremix.org, like OCR at Facebook.com/ocremix, and follow OCR on Twitter at @ocremix.

ABOUT CAPCOM

Capcom is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment for game consoles, PCs, handheld and wireless devices. Founded in 1983, the company has created hundreds of games, including best-selling franchises Resident Evil®, Street Fighter®, Mega Man® and Devil May Cry®. Capcom maintains operations in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Tokyo, Korea and Hong Kong, with corporate headquarters located in Osaka, Japan. More information about Capcom and its products can be found on the company web site, www.capcom.com or www.capcom-unity.com.

Capcom, Devil May Cry, Mega Man and Resident Evil are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Capcom Co., Ltd. in the U.S. or other countries. Street Fighter is a registered trademark of Capcom U.S.A., Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.

ABOUT OVERCLOCKED REMIX

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. Its primary focus is ocremix.org, a website featuring thousands of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

###

International iTunes links

Edited by Liontamer

I have a question on how proceeds from album sales are distributed. I assume it's split amongst Capcom, OCR, and the contributing artists, correct? If so, can you share the details? I'm just curious how much of my money is directly supporting OCR and the artists themselves.

Regardless, I'm buying the album. I just listened to the full soundcloud preview during work. Amazing stuff guys, congrats!

I have a question on how proceeds from album sales are distributed. I assume it's split amongst Capcom, OCR, and the contributing artists, correct? If so, can you share the details? I'm just curious how much of my money is directly supporting OCR and the artists themselves.

Regardless, I'm buying the album. I just listened to the full soundcloud preview during work. Amazing stuff guys, congrats!

I want to be transparent, but it also worries me when people get too caught up in the money - that's the reason it's taken this long for us to do something like this, and while I'm responding to the legitimate curiosity in your question, I'm concerned & cautious when people start dissecting fiscal matters, as it's often a breeding ground for drama. That's my very strong disclaimer.

• Capcom gets a fair and relatively standard cut (can't say more, as per contract)
  • OC ReMix gets 10% (goes to the site, and is used to cover promotion of the album as well)
  • The remainder is being split up equally 25 ways by:
    • Tracks x 21 - ReMixers on a per-track basis (even when multiple artists worked on a track, we pick a "primary" and they sort it out themselves)
    • Support Staff x 3 - Shariq, Larry, and myself each get the same percentage as a single track for our respective roles as Director (Shariq) and Larry & I as Executive Producers
    • Artwork x 1 - rnn, whose artwork counts the same as a single track

We can talk about this here if there are a ton of follow-up questions specific to this topic, but it might get split to another thread depending on the scope.

I am listening to it on Soundcloud right now, it is awesome and after all these great albums I already got on your site for free, I am going to buy this one.

Do you plan to offer it on 'Bandcamp' as well? I have an account there, but a big plus of 'Bandcamp' is in my book that it is also possible to buy albums without having to create an account (you just need a PayPal account, maybe it works with other payment options as well), which is good for people who don't want to have another account on some website.

If not, no problem. I think in that case I would go with the the Amazon Payment option.

Very awesome job guys! I'll be going through the tracks and listening to these one by one, unfortunately I can't purchase this right now, but will in the future when I can get the opportunity.

Would it be much to ask if the first post be updated to include the link to the OCR soundcloud page? I was gonna post this on facebook, but I wanted the focus to be more on the OCR page rather than soundcloud; and that way if people wanted a place for streaming music, the link here would direct them to soundcloud, but they would have to come here first so it would be some traffic.

But back to the topic, I definitely like what I hear so far. From what I've heard so far, the artists have done a phenomenal job, body's tingling =). Though I'm more a lurker, I definitely have come to admire this site it's helped me in so many ways - one of those milestone websites for me I'm glad to have come across this place. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to do something like this with you guys one day, but in the meantime I will enjoy this album lots!

Very awesome job guys! I'll be going through the tracks and listening to these one by one, unfortunately I can't purchase this right now, but will in the future when I can get the opportunity.

Would it be much to ask if the first post be updated to include the link to the OCR soundcloud page? I was gonna post this on facebook, but I wanted the focus to be more on the OCR page rather than soundcloud; and that way if people wanted a place for streaming music, the link here would direct them to soundcloud, but they would have to come here first so it would be some traffic.

But back to the topic, I definitely like what I hear so far. From what I've heard so far, the artists have done a phenomenal job, body's tingling =). Though I'm more a lurker, I definitely have come to admire this site it's helped me in so many ways - one of those milestone websites for me I'm glad to have come across this place. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to do something like this with you guys one day, but in the meantime I will enjoy this album lots!

Hopefully if we ever do something like this again we can get you in on it. I loved your GMRB track from way back when!

I want to be transparent, but it also worries me when people get too caught up in the money - that's the reason it's taken this long for us to do something like this, and while I'm responding to the legitimate curiosity in your question, I'm concerned & cautious when people start dissecting fiscal matters, as it's often a breeding ground for drama. That's my very strong disclaimer.

Thanks for the response Dave, I appreciate it. I was legitimately just curious how such a licensing agreement was going to work, so my apologies, there was no sinister intent behind my question. I am really excited and happy that OCR has taken this next step. I think unique licensing partnerships, such as this one, can only help promote OCR even more and (hopefully) result in more people hearing this awesome music and appreciating video game music arrangements. To me, this feels no different than when a publisher would hire their own musicians to create an official 'arrangement' album.

Back on the real topic though: this album is seriously so good. You guys really went all out here. Great job, and congrats again! :)

Buying an OCR album isn't something I'm really happy about, but I'll end up buying it anyway, hoping that future albums will be free as always.

Since I don't really care for a physical CDs, any of these shops is selling a loseless version of it?

CB Baby allows you to download FLAC versions of the songs.

Buying an OCR album isn't something I'm really happy about, but I'll end up buying it anyway, hoping that future albums will be free as always.

Since I don't really care for a physical CDs, any of these shops is selling a loseless version of it?

OCR is and always will be very much about music by the community and for the community. Free mixposts and free albums constantly rolling out year 'round. You will never run out of free music to listen to from us.

Commercial albums produced in collaboration with game companies is a fun way for the site to support itself. You won't see these often, I think. Just in very specific circumstances when the terms are favorable for us. I don't want to say too much or go into too many details, but Capcom set up a pretty good arrangement with us for this album, which is part of why we did it.

It's been years since I posted to the OCRemix forums but I saw this promotion and listened to the demos and wanted to give some praise. This is a great album and while it seems against the normality of OCR to have a commercial release, I know that it is a great way to support the talent here. It's also nice timing since I have been on a Mega Man kick this summer. This'll be a nice way to enter fall and I'll be happy to grab a copy ASAP.

Oddly enough, I think you guys have done slightly more to celebrate there 25th annivsary of Mega Man than Capcom has done.

Nice Work :nicework:

so is this album commercial because it was done with Capcom. is that the deal

That's indeed the deal. They asked us to create it, so we did.

I am listening to it on Soundcloud right now, it is awesome and after all these great albums I already got on your site for free, I am going to buy this one.

Do you plan to offer it on 'Bandcamp' as well? I have an account there, but a big plus of 'Bandcamp' is in my book that it is also possible to buy albums without having to create an account (you just need a PayPal account, maybe it works with other payment options as well), which is good for people who don't want to have another account on some website.

If not, no problem. I think in that case I would go with the the Amazon Payment option.

Thanks for asking about this on OCR Talkback last night too. We're region-restricted on where we can sell the album, so we unfortunately can't use Bandcamp since there's 0 region restriction. That said, thanks so much for the kind words and the support! :-)

Edited by Liontamer

so is this album commercial because it was done with Capcom. is that the deal

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: they wanted to put out an album or two to celebrate the 25th Anniversary. So they contacted us because they know that we know VGM and have the people do it well. We worked out a nice deal with them, and that was that.

Another bonus: because of the licensing deal we have, we are actually able to SELL the physical copies at all of our convention appearances. I can't tell you how many times someone's come up to our merch table and said "hey can i buy sound of speed/apex 2013/final fantasy xvivxivxivxvix?" and one of us just has to make that "eehhhhhhhhh" face and start saying "wellll because of copyriiiiights and licensiiiing we reeeeaally can't sellll the albums..." It's just the worst, man. With this album we can actually say "We have an album for SALE! You can BUY it! With MONEY!"