Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I'm pretty sure, judging from the pictures and descriptions, that you can only do it when they're on the ground. Obviously I don't know for sure, but I think they're smart enough to know how insane it would be if you could just jump off anyone's head (OMGZP3N12!!!) in midair.

But who knows.

You can use it to perform Meteor Smashes!

-Sakurai

Those the aerial downward attacks that send you straight down... in Melee DK does them, Captain Falcon could do them in their regular move sets. They're all done in the air. So this move can be done in the air also, this picture illustrates this as well... they're both airborne.

Man the edge-guarders are going to have a field day with this new technique. lol

But I'm sure there's other counter uses for it too to balance things out. Every character combo wise I think's going to be able to benefit from it in some way at least.

If recovering is a technique, then there must also be techniques to guard against recovery. Fierce aerial battles often rule the match!

He wasn't kidding when he said "techniques to guard against recovery". We should've seen this move coming from 1000 miles away!

Also, he says "Now press the jump button with perfect timing". Seems likely the default controls will have jump as a button, rather than up. I'd be happy if that was the case =]

Do you need a double jump in you to perform a Footstool jump? (I cringe at the thought of what pros might call it later... probably some cryptic one-syllable word like 'sftool', 'stew' or 'fool'.... or maybe 'Boing!') If you do need to double jump to do it, I wonder what they'd do to prevent Kirby from doing this move way too much. I suppose his opponent would likely have ample time to attack/avoid Kirby before he lands on you in an oh-so-floaty fashion.

It's looking more and more like the characters' B-up moves will be VERY important to how the game is played. Let's hope there's some good strategy involved in recovering.

The new update looks fucking cheap.

Edge guarders that choose fast characters just got a new strategy.

You can use it to perform Meteor Smashes!

-Sakurai

Those the aerial downward attacks that send you straight down... in Melee DK does them, Captain Falcon could do them in their regular move sets. They're all done in the air. So this move can be done in the air also, this picture illustrates this as well... they're both airborne.

Oh. I always called those "spikes."

Well I can't very well buy the game now, can I?

Interesting.... how do you do a Meteor Smash then?

Some moves are called meteor smashes (Samus' down A, GDorf's Down A, etc.). They are known as such because they can be canceled and recovered from. Spikes, on the other hand, cannot be canceled. Examples of this are Marth's down A and Falco's down A.

Anywaaay T__T;

It's a nice update to me :) It looks hilarious! *bounces Bowser off of Kirby's head*

I'm looking forward to trying this technique out. If you can do it on a teammate then things could get really hectic :)

Didn't someone sort of predict this thing a few pages back btw? >_> It's like this Sakurai fellow is just taking ideas from this board thinking "hey this could be cool". Then he whips up some fancy screenshots and we're all thinking the game is actually almost done but in reality all we're going to get when we buy it is a game disc with soundtrack remixes and a "Thank you OCR for the ideas MWUAHAHAHAH"

n_n; oh man those evil Japs n_n;

I saw this coming a mile off...

Remember the first time you fought Luigi instead of Mario in SSBM's Adventure Mode? Watching the cutscene where Luigi steps on Mario's head and sends him plummeting?

Every time, I thought, "Man, I really wish I could do that in-game."

Refresh my memory, how did the collision detection work on smash in previous versions? Could you push someone?

I cant remember if you could run through someone or not...

This update suggests that you would not be able to run through someone and that seems interesting.

You could *run* through someone in melee. If you were slowly walking, you would slowly push them.

I wonder if this counts as another first jump, because if it does, that's pretty freaking awesome. Also, I do like the skill that'd be involved with the timing of the jump button while aiming to fall on their heads while they try to avoid you. I can just see a person air-dodging to their own death to take someone else with them.

This update is so freaking cool!

It opens up so many possibilities :D

And looks so much fun!

But yeah... I wonder if you have done both your jumps and you are falling, but theres someone below you, would you be able to perform the Footstool Jump?