The Dark Knight

Schwaltzvald

I tried to catch a showing tonight... I saw the midnight release, but a friend of ours didn't, so we went with her to see it again. Turns out that at 9pm, the 9:15 and 9:45 showings were both sold out. Crazy!

It possibly had something to do with it being College Night at the local theater, so all showings were at matinee prices all day. But still, it's the fifth day of release.

I tried to catch a showing tonight... I saw the midnight release, but a friend of ours didn't, so we went with her to see it again. Turns out that at 9pm, the 9:15 and 9:45 showings were both sold out. Crazy!

It possibly had something to do with it being College Night at the local theater, so all showings were at matinee prices all day. But still, it's the fifth day of release.

Dude...have you heard about this movie? It's broken every box office record for everything ever, plus inventing new ones to break. Yeah, you might need to get tickets a bit more than 40 minutes ahead.

(mainly I'm just bitter because this fatass and his whore girlfriend wouldn't move over one seat so my buddy and I could sit together.)

Dude...have you heard about this movie? It's broken every box office record for everything ever, plus inventing new ones to break. Yeah, you might need to get tickets a bit more than 40 minutes ahead.

(mainly I'm just bitter because this fatass and his whore girlfriend wouldn't move over one seat so my buddy and I could sit together.)

Maybe it depends on where you live. I got matinee tickets at the door the day of release.

Ha, I wasn't terribly surprised, actually. Like I said, I was at the midnight release here as well... it was pretty intense.

I am unfortunately not here to discuss the finer points of the movie, just to joygasm over it, because I'm a gross fanboy. I actually really really liked the movie despite all of the hype about Heath Ledger. I like Heath Ledger, don't get me wrong, but I think a lot of people went to see that movie because of him, and not because it was going to be good/batman/whatever. But I was pleased. It felt way different from the first movie though. Way more almost real-lifeish instead of far away and removed in Gotham. =D But wasn't nearly as good as "Batman and Robin", am I right?

DJ Metal

Dare I say it? I think Ledger was almost overplayed. I mean, the Oscars? Are you f'n kidding me? I think Ledger did a great villain but maybe not a good Joker. To me, he's more like the force-of-nature solitary evil like the Violator (Clown obviously) than the gangland-oriented Joker. And like some others have said, the Ledger Joker was simply threatening. No jokes and barely no laughing and no real sense of irony. Just plain mass murdering and killing. Again, that strikes me as some of the other psychotic characters than the vintage Joker we got out of Jack Nicholson.

Dare I say it? I think Ledger was almost overplayed. I mean, the Oscars? Are you f'n kidding me? I think Ledger did a great villain but maybe not a good Joker. To me, he's more like the force-of-nature solitary evil like the Violator (Clown obviously) than the gangland-oriented Joker. And like some others have said, the Ledger Joker was simply threatening. No jokes and barely no laughing and no real sense of irony. Just plain mass murdering and killing. Again, that strikes me as some of the other psychotic characters than the vintage Joker we got out of Jack Nicholson.

I saw him laughing quit a bit about halfway through the movie on. Even as he was dangling upsidedown from his foot he was still laughing. And there was irony, like how he broke out Lui, then burned him atop the very same pile of money he'd basically stolen from the mobsters. There was also irony in the way he told Batman in the interrogation how everyone would turn on him like a pack of wild dogs eventually, and at the end of the movie they all did once they thought he'd thrown out his no-kill policy despite all the good he'd done. And need I remind you of the pencil trick?

Ledger's Joker wasn't about evil really.....just pure unadulterated chaos. He was all about bringing out the true chaotic nature of people with his works, so that they could all be like him....since he "got it" way before anybody else.

No jokes? Is The Joker gonna have to show you a magic trick?

No need to be snide there. Ledger's Joker was simply threatening. Not that it's a bad thing, but I never got that feeling much out of the comicbook versions that's all.

I saw him laughing quit a bit about halfway through the movie on. Even as he was dangling upsidedown from his foot he was still laughing. And there was irony, like how he broke out Lui, then burned him atop the very same pile of money he'd basically stolen from the mobsters. There was also irony in the way he told Batman in the interrogation how everyone would turn on him like a pack of wild dogs eventually, and at the end of the movie they all did once they thought he'd thrown out his no-kill policy. And need I remind you of the pencil trick?

Ledger's Joker wasn't about evil really.....just pure unadulterated chaos. He was all about bringing out the true chaotic nature of people with his works, so that they could all be like him....since he "got it" way before anybody else.

Yes, I actually agree completely with you. The irony was there, but again, that seemed to be drowned out by the way Nolan tried to make Joker simply threatening than anything else. All the 'oh noes, here comes the creepy Joker' scenes gave me that hint that maybe the irony part of the classical Joker wasn't really the point of this new Joker.

In that terms of bringing unadulterated chaos, I still think that's something you see more out of someone like the Violator Clown, causing mayhem just to create mayhem. Or maybe Joker when he goes berserk in some comicbook angles. Also, I'm not sure what to make of the Ledger version apparently being born simply because his daddy was a bad guy. Again, the the Nicholson Joker was picture perfect except for him being Batman's parents' killer. Falling into a vat and everything and while being murderous, only doing so in spurts and not quite on a full killing spree like Ledger's one (that, and the consistent insistence from the comics that Joker is fully sane while being the villain, hence why he is such an evil villain). I don't fault anyone for liking Ledger's Joker. I just never grew up with that type of character, that's all.

I actually thought the Joker in TDK was completely sane. Everything was planned out, despite what he says about just doing stuff. The way he reads peopl, as well as the social commentary.

Oh, & about his daddy being a bad guy, that was a half truth, or an outright lie on his part. He told two different scar stories to fit the context of where he was at, & who he was talking to. I thought this Joker was the truest to the comic book as you can get. Also, I hate the Nicholson Joker.

Also, I hate the Nicholson Joker.

Time to start playing favorites? meh

If we're comparing based on pure subjectivity, I thought Val Kilmer made a slightly better Batman. There, I said it. At least he didn't have the asthma-voice of the new one. Speaking of the Bale Batman, I didn't really fall in love with the cocky-Bruce of Batman Begins. I always gelled to the pathos/brooding Wayne most of the older versions of Batman. Which leads to Keaton's Batman which I liked the best because he made the best Bruce. The only knock being that Keaton was relatively short so he didn't have the intimidation factor of Kilmer/Bale. But personality-wise, I don't think there's a peer with Keaton yet (not to mention I feel Keaton is the more well tooled actor overall than any other Batman actor). Again, all that's subjective. I still think Bale did a great job for his role and that specific type of Batman. It's just that it's not the type of Batman I was accustomed to either.

I think Nicholson did a better job of creating a comic book character. His Joker is more in tune with the sort of whackjob that runs around pulling crimes like they're pranks on the establishment.

Ledger's Joker is just a regular genius psychopath. He plays a great one, no question there, but in terms of capturing the feel of the comic book Joker I don't think he comes nearly as close to it as Nicholson did.

I think Nicholson did a better job of creating a comic book character. His Joker is more in tune with the sort of whackjob that runs around pulling crimes like they're pranks on the establishment.

Ledger's Joker is just a regular genius psychopath. He plays a great one, no question there, but in terms of capturing the feel of the comic book Joker I don't think he comes nearly as close to it as Nicholson did.

read more comics

read more comics

Yeah seriously. I mean, read Batman right now. Joker in the RIP storyline is right in line with Ledger's Joker, perhaps even more psychotic.

Nicholson was a terrible Joker and played him like he never was in any of the comics.

The Joker never danced around to Prince songs while spraypainting things.

People need to seriously go back and rewatch the first Batman movie. Enjoyable it may be, but in terms of portraying the characters it was shit.

ok this is a question i ask a lot but now im serious

i wanna start reading batman comics because batman has always been my favorite comic character but ive never actually gotten into comics before

i need a STARTING point plz

also ds i started reading welcome to tranquility yesterday finally ill finish that in a few days

Then don't make arguments about actors accurately or inaccurately portraying the character based on how they're presented in the comics.

I didn't say I don't read comics. I won't read more comics.

The Joker's portrayal has oscillated back and forth over the years between homicidal psychopath a la Ledger and goofy jackass a la Nicholoson.

But fine if we don't want to compare to the comics, then I'd say Nicholoson's Joker is more fun.

My favorite Joker of all is still Mark Hamill's version though. :-)

Mark Hamill will always be the *voice* of the Joker. I dunno if he could pull of acting the part IRL. (though hell if I wouldn't like to see him try...I think he'd be the only other person besides Nicholson and Ledger that could pull off a believable version of the Joker in my opinion)

ok this is a question i ask a lot but now im serious

i wanna start reading batman comics because batman has always been my favorite comic character but ive never actually gotten into comics before

i need a STARTING point plz

also ds i started reading welcome to tranquility yesterday finally ill finish that in a few days

There are three main Bat-titles that DC publishes right now: Batman, Detective Comics, and Batman Confidential.

Batman is focused more on developing Batman as a character and telling the BIG Batman stories, like RIP.

Detective Comics is (obviously) more about Batman solving crimes. If you're a fan of The Animated Series, this is the title for you.

Batman Confidential is where DC tells stories from Batman's history; it's not a title that ties into the current happenings in the DCU. The story arcs are contained.

As for a starting point with Batman, I'd recommend grabbing the Batman & Son trade paperback. It's the first story arc in Grant Morrison's run (he's the current writer of the series). I think Club of Heroes is after that, and a few more story arcs that all lead into Batman RIP, which is the big story going on right now.

Detective Comics is more of a one-shot/two-parter book, so you're generally safe just jumping in anywhere, except for the current story arc, Heart of Hush, which is a 5-part sequel to Batman: Hush (which is available in two trade paperbacks; recommended). Heart of Hush just started last issue, so that's not a bad jump-on point either, so long as you read Hush.

With Confidential, you're pretty much all set grabbing an issue whenever a new story arc starts, because the story arcs aren't linked together; there are different creative teams and they take place in different points in Batman's history. The current story-arc is a really hilarious story about the first time Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) met Catwoman; it's three issues in.

There are a ton of other older Batman stories you can get, but I assumed you were asking about following the new stuff and keeping current with the character.

EDIT: Also want to stress: don't even attempt to read Batman RIP if you don't know what's been going on in Batman comics lately; you will get lost and hurt your brain.