Disney Rips off Anamanaguchi

Dyne

So, I was keyed into this by Danimal: https://www.youtube.com/embed/FMPPOTZRc0U

Listen to this, and tell me that's not Jetpack Blues. Because it is, obviously. There's very little difference between the two, it's downright blatant infringement. On top of that, Disney has deleted all of the comments pointing out the infringement.

Here's Anamanaguchi's original track:

Spread the word about this.

Hey, before the internet hate riots, keep in mind that whoever was responsible for this trailer is a very small subset of Disney. Probably one guy who sourced or oversaw the music. I doubt there was some guy smoking a cigar on piles of money saying "Yes... yes... let's rip off this well-known chiptune artist."

There are a few possibilities here before you all pick up your pitchforks:

1. The music supervisor /editor on the project asked for a knockoff of that song specifically.

2. The music supervisor / editor browsed through an existing music library and picked this track, not knowing it was a ripoff (eg. the producer of the video is innocent). This is a very real possibility. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of tracks in music libraries. Some of them will inevitably be total ripoffs, which is entirely the fault of the composer who wrote them.

3. They somehow licensed the rights to the track and covered it.

Hey, before the internet hate riots, keep in mind that whoever was responsible for this trailer is a very small subset of Disney. Probably one guy who sourced or oversaw the music. I doubt there was some guy smoking a cigar on piles of money saying "Yes... yes... let's rip off this well-known chiptune artist."

There are a few possibilities here before you all pick up your pitchforks:

1. The music supervisor /editor on the project asked for a knockoff of that song specifically.

2. The music supervisor / editor browsed through an existing music library and picked this track, not knowing it was a ripoff (eg. the producer of the video is innocent). This is a very real possibility. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of tracks in music libraries. Some of them will inevitably be total ripoffs, which is entirely the fault of the composer who wrote them.

3. They somehow licensed the rights to the track and covered it.

This.:nicework:

I had trouble hearing the similarity at first.

I can see how it is similar style-wise but I was trying to listen to the notes and I just didn't "feel" the similarity between the two.

I have narrowed it down to a few possible causes:

• I suck at music.
  • I've been remixing too long.
  • It's a generic song. It's like a punk rock song. How can they even claim plagiarism.

I had trouble hearing the similarity at first.

I can see how it is similar style-wise but I was trying to listen to the notes and I just didn't "feel" the similarity between the two.

Same here, but the way the 2 melodies are approached seems different, its like someone thought they should do a less skilled acoustic version of the song.

To be fair musicians steal melodies and riffs off each other all the time.

Disney will most likely get away with doing this.

I seriously doubt anamanaguchi has the money to go down the legal route and sue disney.

Probably contracted some cheap freelancer who wasn't feeling particularly inspired.

yeah, it's in a different key and altered significantly in quite a few ways

in the end, I'm a little disappointed that anamanguchi complained about it. They could've just posted about it without saying "disney totally ripped us off"

they're quite a big act now, so I don't understand why they would spend time destroying some youtube advert for a mobile game that "Disney" as the huge corporate entity had essentially nothing to do with. They seem to enjoy having a following that will help them participate in drama and get revenge, and that kinda shit puts a bad taste in my mouth.

edit: this totally reminds me of when Metallica was freaking out about Napster ...and then I stopped listening to Metallica forever.