New OCR Podcast - Possiblity?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 retroactive

retroactive

Glass Joe (+10)

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOn my chair behind my computer.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing ocr for over a year now; listining to music and the podcast.
And when the latter ended, I was, like most people, sad that it had to end.
So I've been thinking about making a (unoffical) ocr podcast, but before I do, I just want to make sure that at least a few people would be interested.

Thanks for letting me know,
retroactive

#2 Bahamut

Bahamut

Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,857 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA, United States

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:53 PM

I can't say I know completely what the policy will be about this, but one of the important roles of the person doing the podcast is that he/she has to already be a visible figure in the community - you should hang around the forums and/or IRC more in order to really be in a position to be considered for it IMO.
Liontamer: AND THEY HAVE A PLAYPLACE

#3 zircon

zircon

Balance and Ruin Director, Voices of the Lifestream Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,948 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

Well, doing a podcast featuring OCR material is fine... being the official OCR podcast is something else, djpretzel is really the only person who can give the go-ahead for that. But in general getting active in the community is a good idea.
Original albums, tutorials, videos, free music at zirconMusic

Kontakt samples for composers & remixers: Impact Soundworks

My music gear recommendations for $99 or less!

twitter | facebook | youtube

#4 DragonFireKai

DragonFireKai

Strider Hiryu (+2100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • LocationOregon State University

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

I don't care who does it as long as it doesn't suck.
Posted Image
Sig by Doulifée
Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!

#5 Arek the Absolute

Arek the Absolute

Milky Way Wishes Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

I would be up for it, if someone joins me.
No, I am quite serious.
Posted Image
~*~

#6 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

Goemon (+300)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIn your fridge eating your food

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

I would be up for it, if someone joins me.
No, I am quite serious.

Nice. I'd join you, but we don't know each other very well and I'm not really that active a member of the community.

Well, just as long as someone does it.
Posted Image

#7 retroactive

retroactive

Glass Joe (+10)

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

I can't say I know completely what the policy will be about this, but one of the important roles of the person doing the podcast is that he/she has to already be a visible figure in the community - you should hang around the forums and/or IRC more in order to really be in a position to be considered for it IMO.

I forgot to mention that it would be *unoffical*.

Well, doing a podcast featuring OCR material is fine... being the official OCR podcast is something else, djpretzel is really the only person who can give the go-ahead for that. But in general getting active in the community is a good idea.

I am defintly going to get involved in the community first.

#8 Arek the Absolute

Arek the Absolute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,074 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

Nice. I'd join you, but we don't know each other very well and I'm not really that active a member of the community.

Well, just as long as someone does it.

True, but thanks for the enthusiasm.
Hmm....possibly EasyP and I could do it. We are a good pair when working together...
Posted Image
~*~

#9 Liontamer

Liontamer

Community Manager, Judge

• Moderators
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

There's always me. Eventually.

#10 Arek the Absolute

Arek the Absolute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,074 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Dude, if I did this with you, I would be too busy rofling to pay attention.
GET BACK ON RADIO FGT
Posted Image
~*~

#11 Hemophiliac

Hemophiliac

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationYorba Linda, CA...the O.C.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

i was considering doing something at least, i definitely have the equipment and the ability to do one as well.

:D
Posted Image
<djpretzel> he's a hemophiliac, philiac oh yeah. And he's bleeding like he's never bled before.

#12 The Coop

The Coop

Mr. X (+23000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,145 posts
  • LocationOutskirts of B.F.E.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

Actually, I believe that's not really the case. The person doing the podcast (be it official or unofficial) should have a good personality to make the show at least semi-interesting when they talk, have knowledge about the remixes/games that are being featured, and basically just know how to use the needed equipment. You don't need to be an OCR regular to have those traits. So whether they're new to the site, or a regular of several years, as long as they know what they're doing, saying, and don't come off as a bumbling dolt, I see no reason to hold community visibility over someone's head as long as they can prove their abilities :smile:

Of course, since this guy's asking about doing an unofficial podcast, it's a bit irrelevant.

jon_talbain_and_smiley_meet_felicia_by_t

#13 Radiowar

Radiowar

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Locationcamnda

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

get wingless back

#14 Bahamut

Bahamut

Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,857 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA, United States

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

Actually, I believe that's not really the case. The person doing the podcast (be it official or unofficial) should have a good personality to make the show at least semi-interesting when they talk, have knowledge about the remixes/games that are being featured, and basically just know how the use the needed equipment. You don't need to be an OCR regular to have those traits. So whether they're new to the site, or a regular of several years, as long as they know what they're doing, saying, and don't come off an a bumbling dolt, I see no reason to hold community visibility over someone's head as long as they can prove their abilities :smile:

Of course, since this guy's asking about doing an unofficial podcast, it's a bit irrelevant.

Of course, but if it's official, the person/people running it would be considered a part of OCR staff, which means taking on the responsibilities of the staff as a representative - it'd do no good to pick any random person who fits general good podcast traits if he/she holds views antithetical to the purpose of the site.
Liontamer: AND THEY HAVE A PLAYPLACE

#15 ifirit

ifirit

Chun-Li (+1000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

Bring back the Super Koopa Troopa Show!

Maybe...
In living and dying, we feed the fire.
Posted Image
DS Friend Code: 511321693437

#16 Dhsu

Dhsu

Ryu (+13000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,871 posts
  • LocationDustbowl 24/7

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

There's always me. Eventually.

Why must you tease us so, Larry? :(

Actually, what's to keep you from doing it NOW? It's not like you have anything better to do. ;)

Posted ImagePosted Image
<Bleck> Neblix I will punch you in the soul

#17 retroactive

retroactive

Glass Joe (+10)

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

Of course, but if it's official, the person/people running it would be considered a part of OCR staff, which means taking on the responsibilities of the staff as a representative - it'd do no good to pick any random person who fits general good podcast traits if he/she holds views antithetical to the purpose of the site.

I completly agree. Which is why it would be an unoffical one. Mabye eventualy it would become an offical one, but that's not really a main priority, since I just want to have some fun and entertain people along the way.
Posted Image

#18 Fishy

Fishy

Judge, Worlds Apart Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,353 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

A new podcast would be cool, but I liked the old one so much, I'd miss all the old features, and you can't just rip them off. I guess theres no sense in moaning about it though. Maybe whoever picks up a new one will pull a stunner on us.

I guess the thing I liked about VGDJ was the chemistry between the hosts worked really well. As long as you have that (maybe not to the point of romance this time :P) then it'll be entertaining.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 The Coop

The Coop

Mr. X (+23000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,145 posts
  • LocationOutskirts of B.F.E.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

What responsibilities? It's not like they'd be touring the country in a bus with "OCRemix" on the side amidst constant live media coverage :lol:

But seriously, to my un-podcast-initiated mind, their responsibilities would be pimping the show in a positive light, pimping the site and all its remixes in a positive light, and running the podcast (requests, interviews, play lists, setting up and arranging any needed mirrors/threads/downloads, etc). What other duties am I missing?

To be perfectly honest, I think we've all learned from past events that not everyone who works for a given company or site is the best person to speak for all of it (or parts of it). Sometimes you have to step outside that so-called "circle of trust", and bring in a fresh perspective... someone who hasn't been in constant contact with everything OCR. And chances are, if someone's that interested in being a part of the OCR line up, they wouldn't have major issues with the site. After all, why do volunteer work for something you can't stand?

Besides... it wouldn't be hard to set up a few simple rules... like, "Don't trash talk the site or its staff on the air", right? :wink:

Anyway, that's my take on it. I can see where you're coming from Bahamut, and I understand the concerns behind your views. Hopefully my point comes across at least reasonably well.

jon_talbain_and_smiley_meet_felicia_by_t

#20 atmuh

atmuh

M. Bison (+7000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:33 PM

I've been waiting forever for someone to finally wanna bring back a podcast, and heh I'd do it with Arek except you probably all hate me by now, even though I'd let the past be the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums