View Full Version : Tango Instruments: The name of the scratchy percussion.

03-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Hi, I am looking to fill out my tango sample collection, but I have not been having luck identifying an instrument to even begin the sample search. It is the scratchy, washboard sounding, or Guiro sounding percussion seen much in many tango, nuevo tango, and a variety of other forms of tango, but at least in Piazzolla's work.

The scratchy percussion can be heard starting in the first few seconds of Piazzolla's song: Undertango. Here is a youtube of Undertango:

Thanks for taking the time to consider this. If anyone knows the name of this, or any similar percussion used in tango, you will be my hero for at least 24 hours. Do have a good day!

03-09-2010, 09:05 AM

here is a guiro:

03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh, it was the guiro after all! Thank you very much, and let the name OverCoat ring happiness in the minds of everyone for many generations.