How did you get your handle?

FR

• 5 years later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I've been reconsidering the use of my real name lately . . .

My musical endeavors have been, stylistically, all over the map, but lately I've been trying to locate an identifiable sound that I can live and grow with -- something to help guide my original music endeavors -- and part of that consideration is branding.

Any thoughts on what makes a good handle? Anyone regret using a handle and wish they just used their real name?

Wow, nice revival.

Well, a lot of people ask about mine, so here it goes. I wanted to make a Latin construct for "blood of the outsider" which I think is really 'xenoseme', but I didn't want to make it apparent that that's what I'd done. So I went for ectosemia which is more like "a condition of having one's blood on the outside", and to make it particularly unrecognizable or translatable, I changed a letter sorta at random. So ectosemia became ectogemia. And then fucking everybody called me ecto, so as it is, apparently, my name just came with bonus letter. Hi.

I had a dog (boxer) that made this "chimping" sound instead of whining. It sounded like little mini-whines strung together, sort of like how I would expect a monkey to sound. It was quite unique. Although we had named her Keli, she got the nickname Chimpie on the first day we brought her home as a 7 week old pup. I came up with many iterations of that name, Chimpazilla being my favorite. She never stopped chimping for 13 years until she died of old age last year. I have stolen her identity. I'm very happy with this particular handle.

A while back, around 2006 or so, I used to work a day job at the same time every day, then play at night until about 4 AM. When I got an Xbox 360, I decided I wanted a better username than the really bad weeaboo name I was using. So I went with ItStartsAtDusK, because I played almost exclusively at night. That got shortened to DusK when I started playing Halo PC again, and then I started using that for everything.

Cash and Cash was first used as my Xbox Live name. There's a little story behind it.

I was in a gaming club during college. We had a Halo 3 tournament at one point and I happened to play using a profile named "Cash." My friends at the club starting calling me Cash, and the fact that I was the treasurer made the name fit even better.

So fast forward a few years and I'm trying to come up with a new name for my Xbox Live account (originally ColdSithmaster, really stupid). I wanted to put "Cash" at first, but it was taken. I started thinking of other words for cash, the word change popped in my head (you know, like spare change?). CashChange sounded silly to me, so I added an "and" in the middle for no particular reason. Cash and Change sounded a bit like a tongue-in-cheek political slogan, so I kept it. There's my little story.

starla is a smashing pumpkins song.

how did i not realize this

my handle is a lift from some kid i played with on Soldier of Fortune II back in like, 2002. His handle was "propheCy" and I really loved the way capital c's looked in the middle of a lower case word, so I eventually settled on reliance being a neat enough word to do the same with.

I don't know why it has a "y" in it. Guess I had to be XTREEM or something.

I much more enjoy it when people call me "rely". It just sounds awesome in voice chats on games and whatnot when people pronounce it "rellie".

lurked this site for some time now, decided to finally make an account and post.

how did i not realize this

my handle is a lift from some kid i played with on Soldier of Fortune II back in like, 2002. His handle was "propheCy" and I really loved the way capital c's looked in the middle of a lower case word, so I eventually settled on reliance being a neat enough word to do the same with.

I don't know why it has a "y" in it. Guess I had to be XTREEM or something.

I much more enjoy it when people call me "rely". It just sounds awesome in voice chats on games and whatnot when people pronounce it "rellie".

Hahahah awesome to see another soffer. I was a big fan of mgs and decided to use Foxdie as my name when I started playing sof. Later on I would use idFx (a remixed version of Foxdie) as a pub alias to avoid talking to people when I was warming up. I really liked the "Fx" part and decided to add it to the end of my regular name. idFx also became my breakdancing alias

here's a stupid quick sof frag vid test I made with ocremix music a couple years ago.

My handle? Depends on who you ask.

If you ask Archaon...

GARIO.

WHAT IS THAT LIKE A FUSION OF MARIO AND

GARFIELD

I GUESS IT’D BE ALRIGHT EXCEPT FOR THE DOUBLY INTENSE LASAGNE CRAVINGS.

CAUSE YOU KNOW MARIO’S ITALIAN AND THEY CAN ONLY DIGEST PASTA.

If you ask me, though, it's a name my oldest brother gave an avatar that represents me in a game he's made (or making - it's an eternal labor of love). It's a good ol' play on the name 'Greg' and 'Mario'. Simple enough. :grin:

Bonus points for those that remember those PM's from Archaon way back when. :P

Yu-Gi-Oh dragon from my favorite season plus three twos.

I never understood animations about games. I guess Monster Rancher was cool but seriously

Yu-Gi-Oh, about cards that come to life. There was even a manga/anime about the ancient Japanese board game "Go"...like, wtf?

The show about spinning tops was cool though because they actually made the tops for realz. I had the white-tiger one and every kid at school that I challenged found themselves on the ass-end of an ass kickin' because the white-tiger was the shit. One time, this other kid's top exploded and the metal ring smoked him in the eye. That, was my greatest victory; it was brutal. You could also buy rings made of flint so they would spark. That game was epic.

Whoa....sorry for that off-topic, nostalgic rant.

My last name is Rex and it's what a lot of people call me. An old girlfriend put a twist on it, singing therexasaurous like those old craft macaroni commercials (cheesasaurous). I picked it up as a forum name and used it for continuity's sake. Just recently I decided to shorten it because its what most of you refer to me as anyway and it looks a little less silly.