OCR01803 - Bionic Commando (NES) "Armed and Dangerous"

djpretzel

I'm going to agree with pretty much everyone here and say this track is a good reason why you should submit more frequently. :-)

Cool tightrope walking between something chill and something energetic, with good transitions between sections. I loved the synths chosen, and though i wish it'd get a bit more intense in a few sections, I can dig it.

Thanks for the comments everyone! It has been a while for me, hasn't it? But I've got a project mix that's ready to be posted, and I've nearly completed another project mix that I'm very excited about (my first collab!). So you'll see more from me this year.

BTW, I wrote that I was the first to tackle this theme after checking out the other two NES BC mixes on the site. Big Giant Circles informed me after the fact that the GB soundtrack is the same as the NES, and he in fact covered the same theme (quite well, I might add).

0 is 100% less than 1, but 1 isn't 100% more than 0... just saying. :<

Anyway, this, like AnSo's latest mix, is pretty laid back and relaxing. Who would have guessed 100 years ago that electronic music could be this nice on the ears? The only thing I'm not particularily fond of is the lead, which is pretty harsh in comparison with the rest, especially when playing long notes as it doesn't have much of an envelope at all. The section at 2:57-3:10 is the best part of the whole song, except for the lead, and I wish more of the song sounded like that part.

Not bad. The production was spot-on, but I felt the arrangement was a bit lacking/predictable. I'm sort of an ecclectic listener, so I'm into songs with a little more creativity/genre-breakin'. I liked the left-wing bizzare-ity of Oedo Hop a bit more. That is, of course, just me - the piece isn't bad by any means.

Not bad... I dig it. Have you ever played this game, Palpable? Just by listening to it, I can tell you have played this game before. If you haven't played it, then it's pretty brilliant because you really got the feel for this game in the remix. I really love it and you should submit more. Still though, my favorite by you is your FFX mix. :razz:

I see it already has been mentioned and I meant to give a review for this remix the day it was posted, but I'm always so busy. :-x But yeah, Big Giant Circles also remixed the same track for the gameboy version. Another great song too.

This track in the game is my favorite one. I wish more people would remix it. Thanks for submitting your version, Palpable.

This track has a beat you can jam to! I like the intro right from the start this one picks up and has OCRemix written all over it. I like songs where the beat never stops. Definitely a good remix with the distortion and stereo effects, and all of the digital synth sounds. So pleasing to listen to, and will make you think of the game, or any video game for that matter.

This has a nice groove :P

The backing is awesome, really calm, laid back atmosphere. I love the little details you put in there as well, it really makes the track :P

I'm a little unsure about the lead tho... sounds a like it doesn't quite fit the style and feel you were going for.

also not a fan of the fade out ending :|

I don't know the source so I can't comment on that.

Still, nice work its well mixed and mastered imo, and worth the download

• 2 weeks later...

With Bionic Commando hittin the ps3/xbox in May...and now this track? '09 is shaping up to be a nice year.

This track is damn catchy, the feel is pretty chilling at the same time. My only thing is you took so long at 2:50 to finally get past the intro in the original theme to the rest of the theme. Thanks for bringing back an 8Bit classic, Plz post more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I, too, think this is a pretty good mix, but I do have a question.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a bit of a garbled section around 1:19 in this mix? (The garbling I speak of sounds like someone was recording this off an audio tape and accidentally hit the fast-forward button for about a second or so.)

I'm going to try downloading it from a different mirror to see if that fixes the problem - the copy I have is from ocrmirror.org, so it might just be a bad upload to that mirror.

EDIT: Just finished downloading it from the iiens.net mirror, and the same garbling is present in that copy too.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01803 - Bionic Commando (NES) "Armed and Dangerous"