OCR01115 - Chrono Trigger "Another Fair"

djpretzel

I like this remix. Its an original piano solo arrangement. Most people like to show off "look how many notes i can play at once and how fast my fingers move", or fake it "I know its sequenced, but it just flows through naturally that you can't tell". But Dhsu just plays what he has a feel for. Its not rushed, but its smooth. Its not far off the song, but he wants to leave his mark in a song and not just play it. He wants you to know this is his version of the song and that he is playing it. Thats the way you should do any piano solo, whether fast or slow, let it be known that it is now yours. I encourage you, Dhsu, to do more like this. I can't think of anything wrong with it. now i'll have to look for something wrong with your next. 8)

99/100 because nothing is perfect, but this comes close.

Though I may not be as technical as most I can appreciate good music for the art that it is. I remember the feeling I had when playing CT for the first time... and your composition manages to capture that wonder, beauty and awe that I felt while at the Milenneal Fair.

Thank you.

Hey nice work.

This is a very beautiful, well thought out arrangement. You really milk the harmonic tension for all it's worth, and there are some really nice moments.

The rubato style of playing is a nice stylistic choice, but I think at times the dramatic pauses break up the overall momentum of the arrangement. Could be a different way of looking at things, but I try to pay a lot of attention to dynamic shape of a song. The pause at 3:00 is an example where I would have carried the previous phrase into the next one without the grand pause, in the interest of a smoother, more organic ending.

Anyway, the fact that I'm getting this picky should be taken as a compliment. This is one of the better piano arrangements on this site, so you should be proud.

-Jon

The pause at 3:00 is an example where I would have carried the previous phrase into the next one without the grand pause, in the interest of a smoother, more organic ending.

Haha...sorry, that was a booboo. :P I was so excited at actually not making any mistakes up to that point, and I didn't want to mess it up. ^_^;;

I do appreciate your pickiness, Jon. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. :)

And Drakalu...you're welcome. ;)

• 1 month later...

Wow. This remix was done quite beautifully! It makes excellent background music. Very soft, very peaceful... Very nostalgic, as well, since, like an idiot, I sold my copy of Chrono Trigger a few years back. At any rate, this remix was great. A fantastically-done remix of a fantastically-done song. I'd recommend it to anybody having a bad day, or anybody who just needs to calm down a bit. :) Or... anybody. :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...
I adore the beginning of this, it reminds me of the sigh after a big event. Like the super bowl. Or a milennial fair.

And then as it picks up, it reminds me of the first steps we take as we move on with life.

There is a lot of truth in your performance of this song. Thank you for sharing it with us.

yh

This is almost exactly what I was thinking. I just finished watching The Matrix: Revolutions and randomly picked this out of the playlist.. and it's actually very fitting considering the ending (or so I believe). Very calming remix.. definitely in my collection of piano remixes.

• 2 months later...

My favorite style of remix has got to be the solo piano arrangements, hands down. From McVaffe's "Cutman Sonata" to Noir's "Jenova for Classical Piano", I am a complete nut. Dhsu and klutz, however, stand out to me as being the best at this style. "Another Fair" is a fantastic arrangement of one of the most memorable themes from Chrono Trigger: the Millenial Fair. Dhsu seems to have taken into consideration every element that this simple, 16-bit piece offers and added his own input to it. He's slowed it waaaaaay down for a more mellow feel. From the get go he uses low rolling arrpegiated chords to move the listener into the music. I enjoy deep base notes in piano arrangements and this work doesn't dissapoint. To stay in keeping with the original, he uses bouncing, staccatto chords towards the middle of the song while speeding it up slightly, giving the air of excitement, allowing the listener to imagine the fair atmosphere. As the song nears its end, he lightens the mood by playing a few variations on the higher end of the keyboard. The final chord could be altered slightly in my opinion, but overall this piece screams Millenial Fair at Twilight. Awesome job and keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

In my opinion, this is one of the better piano mixes on the site. I won't lie - It's not one of my favorites and it doesn't have a permanent spot on my hard drive, but that's mostly because it's not really my style.

This piano remix is really unique because it is simple and clean, not attempting to make it sound over dramatic or more engaging. As a result this piece would make great background music, such as at a fancy dinner, but I personally would not listen to it actively that often.

The only criticism I have for this song is that the rubato in the last part (last 30 seconds or so) seems a bit excessive, since the melody is not really going anywhere.

Overall still a great song. Thanks, Dhsu!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I love this mix. The peaceful feel throughout really lets me feel like I've found a nice quiet picnic spot at the fair where everyone is relaxing and enjoying a cool drink, or something.

I'm making a guess that the name references Chrono Cross, and this would possibly be the music of the Fair in another dimension. If it is or isn't, that's how I picture it, and I think it adds charm.

The playing is very well done, typical of Dhsu's work. Love it, man.

• 8 months later...

Sweet, i'm reviewing 2 great piano pieces back-to-back! :-)

There's excellent playing, and a very nice arrangement of a piece I wouldn't initially expect for solo piano, but this works exceptionally well. I especially enjoyed the light B section, right before the ending. Awesome emotive playing, especially in the right hand. I'm not sure if there should have been as much rubato at the end, but it doesn't detract at all, and it finishes off a strong mix decently enough.

Great work! :-D

• 7 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01115 - Chrono Trigger "Another Fair"