Leona Lewis in FF XIII OST? What do you think?

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Seriously; and it's not like the song is bad either. I mean you can dislike it and thrash it for being mainstream and all, but it's well-produced and the singing is OK. I guess we'll have to see if it fits well in the game...

I'm sure if the original Japanese song was in English and sung by Celine Dion, many people here would be complaining about it.

If they used a western singer, the issue wouldn't be nationality, just that it didn't fit Final Fantasy (something I feel neither theme does for XIII). Squenix may be trying to differentiate their two biggest franchises, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (which also has long featured epic classical scores). There are plenty of Japanese games and anime that used English lyrics or foreign artists worldwide, and not many complain about it.

I think what's so upsetting here is that the deliberate decision to change the theme abroad is made on the assumption that foreign audiences are too stupid to tolerate/appreciate something different. True or not, I just don't like adapting things just to make it more "marketable" somewhere else. It only adds to the mentality of separate and completely incompatible cultures, rather than trying to break down barriers.

Drawing the line is a tough call to make. Squenix is doing what they did with the Kingdom Hearts themes, except they picked a Japanese singer who already could write and sing in English. The songs were the same, with different lyrics, and Kingdom Hearts took off with a strong fanbase domestically and abroad. Nobody really complained then.

Japanese horror movies are always being remade elsewhere, and I think those work well, as well as raise interest in the originals. The main difference here though, is that they two could coexist. I really doubt Squenix will try and publish FFXIII Special Japanese Edition (although Japan getting the western version is almost assured).

I don't see how this is a big deal. I don't even see how this is even worth making a topic about.

I mean, really who stills plays Final Fantasy? Final, my ass. They've been final for the last twenty years, if it's so final, then stop making it over and over with nothing changed between each one. It's all the same thing, over and over again and why are you people paying for this? It's like those stupid football games that are the same every year, but they take ten times as long because all the shitty emofag characters are busy talking about emofag shit over and over again. Big swords, spikey hair, emoting over something gay and then the eight minute long attack that never works.

Fucking japanime emofaggery bullshit, that's all it is. (Too subtle?)

hate8.jpg

Had FFVI really been that bad..? All I ever wanted to do was to kill and destroy everything; you don't see me crying about it! Get pissed off at being stabbed sure but who wouldn't? Let's see how you deal bringing ruin to the world and still not feel satisfied with it. It's like reaching that peak and... buckets! Lots of buckets!

I don't see how this is a big deal. I don't even see how this is even worth making a topic about.

I mean, really who stills plays Final Fantasy? Final, my ass. They've been final for the last twenty years, if it's so final, then stop making it over and over with nothing changed between each one. It's all the same thing, over and over again and why are you people paying for this? It's like those stupid football games that are the same every year, but they take ten times as long because all the shitty emofag characters are busy talking about emofag shit over and over again. Big swords, spikey hair, emoting over something gay and then the eight minute long attack that never works.

Get the fuck out of here if you're going to be a prick.

I'm confused why people are acting as if the Japanese theme sounds any more like Final Fantasy than the Leona Lewis one. Because it doesn't.

That was my first thought. People in the YouTube comments are UP IN ARMS because "it doesn't even fit!"

First of all, why does this JPOP song fit any more than Leona Lewis

SECOND OFF I'm willing to bet that, for all most of these people know, the Leona Lewis lyrics fit the situation BETTER than the Japanese song's do.

BUT THEY'RE IN ENGLISH >:(!!!!111~

Also: The Leona Lewis song is WAY better produced AND she's a better singer than this japanese girl imho.

While I don't really care if the song is in Japanese or not, I just feel it's a total cop out to replace a song that was written specifically for the game with a song that was already out for some time and not intended for a game. If they got her to write an entirely new piece that's relevant and fitting to the game, then I probably wouldn't mind. But this just looks like a lazy way to attach an English song to it.

Curiously besides Final Fantasy what other "jrpgs" have you all played that made them different and memorable?

Chrono Trigger, Lunar SSSC, Earthbound, and Super Mario RPG are all excellent non Final Fantasy JRPGs. All predate the millennium.

Chrono Trigger had a great cast and story with multiple endings.

Lunar SSSC had a hilarious translation and was just put together very well.

Earthbound is a hilarious 4th wall busting, RPG criticizing adventure.

And Super Mario RPG... is an idea that by all rights shouldn't have worked in concept, yet brought new characters, reinterpreted established ones (mainly Bowser), and was just insanely fun to go through again and again.

While I don't really care if the song is in Japanese or not, I just feel it's a total cop out to replace a song that was written specifically for the game with a song that was already out for some time and not intended for a game. If they got her to write an entirely new piece that's relevant and fitting to the game, then I probably wouldn't mind. But this just looks like a lazy way to attach an English song to it.

QFE

The lyrics should, at the very least, kind of reflect the game's content.

This:

I think what's so upsetting here is that the deliberate decision to change the theme abroad is made on the assumption that foreign audiences are too stupid to tolerate/appreciate something different. True or not' date=' I just don't like adapting things just to make it more "marketable" somewhere else. It only adds to the mentality of separate and completely incompatible cultures, rather than trying to break down barriers.[/quote']

And This:

The song by itself isn't terrible, it just feels excessively lazy and tacked on to market to people in a way that says "Dur! We speak English and therefore anything that doesn't speak English like us is shit."

Same thing that happens with a lot of Spanish music.

Also sorry Darksword... :-(

On the other hand

All is forgiven.

this is indeed excellent

my thoughts exactly

Agreed. It seems like they just picked a song in English to match their intentions with the Japanese theme.

I'm not totally sure if the song was written prior to the game or not, I know they do that sometimes...It would really be cool if they'd reached out to an English-language artist to create an all-new tune.

But to answer everyone on YouTube complaining about the lyrics of the Leona Lewis song not matching the theme of Final Fantasy, I was gonna try to translate Sayuri Sagawara's song. It was taking too damn long because I suck. And I got bored. And I forgot how to write half the alphabet but it goes something like this:

"It's okay if you want to cry."

Because you suddenly said that to me,

Somehow, so happy, not tears, but a smile escaped.

With your words, so chivalrous,

(I realized who you really were.)

Even so we'll never part or anything,

Now you've become a support to me like that.

The rest of the song follows with a lot of stuff about the future being open wide and granting my wish and my feelings reaching you surely and stuff like that. *gags*

So yeah. I'm not sure why they just grabbed an English song, but the relative...pop fluff irrelevancy...of the songs seems to match at least. :/ I wish they'd have a song that's a little more specific one of these days...

People with better grasp of Japanese please to be translating this. D: