OCR01333 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Prayer"

djpretzel

This remix is a BORE. I kept wondering when it would actually start, but it never got going.

And I'm not feeling the 'perfect interval' djp describes, though I'm familiar with the feeling. The "oh-eh, oh-eh" vocals sound like crap too.

It's not all bad--I can feel the mood the mix was going for (though it didn't quite reach it for me), and the production sounds great.

Just lacks energy, dynamic.

5/10

Gorgeous remix covering difficult source material. The use of in game music, vocals, and synths is cohesive, I can't see how this would be construed by any as a boderline case (I can see some people rushing to compare this to other remixes with the originals "rapped over"). Of course, the highlight of the mix is her voice. The fact that she inmitated the synth choir from the game I simply find amazing.

For qualms, I think a slightly less buzzy synth could have been used to carry the harmony. Some warm pads would have been better intergrated into the mix. And although djpretzel suggests the lack of climax is natural in a piece like this, I really have to disagree. A slight upping in intensity, even if it was subtle, would have done wonders for the mix. I also think a little bit more could be done with the percussion, but that's probably just my mind subconciously forcing comparison's to "Frame of Mind", with which this mix holds some similarities.

Wonderful mix.

I hate to be so critical since I have no creative talent myself, but it really irritates me that the lyrics are in Japanese even though that is not native to the performer. It's as if it's supposed to be cooler just because it's in Japanese. I think the lyrics are actually quite lame, but being sung in Japanese is supposed to make it sound amazing and deep somehow. Essentially, there doesn't seem to be a good justifiable reason to sing it in Japanese, making it more like a gimmick in my opinion.

Disregarding the lyrics and their tranlsation, I like the singing and the way it works with the original source. It sounds very nice. I just wish the writing was better.

I hate to be so critical since I have no creative talent myself, but it really irritates me that the lyrics are in Japanese even though that is not native to the performer. It's as if it's supposed to be cooler just because it's in Japanese. I think the lyrics are actually quite lame, but being sung in Japanese is supposed to make it sound amazing and deep somehow. Essentially, there doesn't seem to be a good justifiable reason to sing it in Japanese, making it more like a gimmick in my opinion.

Disregarding the lyrics and their tranlsation, I like the singing and the way it works with the original source. It sounds very nice. I just wish the writing was better.

Thank you for being meaninglessly pretentious while claiming that the "gimmick" lyrics were needlessly pretentious.

Thank you for being meaninglessly pretentious while claiming that the "gimmick" lyrics were needlessly pretentious.

ENGLISH FOR THE MOTHERLAND, MEIN FUHRER.

Anyways, cool song. I'm liking the vibes this one gives me. Maybe I just am tooo chiiiiilllllllllllll.

While I am often inclined to agree with this sort of thing, the Japanese was entirely justifiable in this case. This song was designed for and by Western ears (presumably the vast majority of the visitors to OCR are Western). When you listen to something in a foreign language, the mind does not attempt to realize each word and acertain its meaning. Thus, by using Japanese in this track, she made the voice layer something warm and ambient; this ambience would have been impossible with an English language track.

I didn't read the translated lyrics, nor do I care what they say. This song sounds great, and the remixer is pretty damned talented. Job well done.

As mentioned; the song does have a terrific soundscape. The vision of the artist writing the background music is great -- the sounds are inventive and they come together as a whole pretty well. I have not much complaints about the Japanese pronounciation, although they're not very clear, they work. Could be better, though.. if the articulation of the words were clearer.

The "hoo hoo hah hah" vocals at 3:30 are slightly off tune, distracted me for a tad.

My main complaint about this song is how the voice doesn't "ride" crystal clear above the background music. Now, maybe it's just my half-functional ear-phones, when I replace them later this week I'll know for sure. But for now it seems like the vocals are just mixing around with the background music: I can't hear the singer's voice distinctly. [edit: I verified this abit later -- the balance is FINE. Sorry for the blooper.]

Now that I hear the voice clearer (see edit above), I have to comment about the voice.. the Japanese doesn't sound too forced, but it quite obviously comes across as a non-native speaker of the language singing it. There are a -few- parts which I think the crescendo/decrescendo in the singing is too exaggerated; in band we used to call that "swelling". It's pretty distasteful when it's not used well; but it only happened once in this song.

So basically - to the singer - I like your voice. You can sing, but cut on the swelling (for example, "kashite soshite" at 1:55) and if you're going to do more Japanese tracks, work harder on making it sound more natural. In general, I likes.

Song doesn't change much in mood/tempo, which could give one the impression that it's "flat"..

Well, good work. Keep trying.

Been listening to this since it came around in the WIP forums, and seen its many revisions. This is probably the best version out of the lot.

It's not as dark as I'd of liked (like the source track) but hey, that's what this site is all about, reinterpreting the originals differently, and it does that pretty well, and uniquely too.

It's a keeper.

All the samples from the temple itself make the mix for me. The only thing that kind of throws it, is the usage of Garageband loops. Not that there;s anything wrong with that, but I've gone through those loops and used them in short demo songs whilst trying out Garageband's power. I've heard those loops so often, that hearing them in this song was a distraction for me. Nothing you did wrong at all, and otherwise, sounds good.

The music itself sounds good, but I'm afraid I also didn't like the Japanese, although I really tried to. It just didn't sound natural. And mind you, I listened before I read any descriptions, so it's not like I was expecting it or anything

Oh but still the song itself is excellent and the occasional vocal chantings sound great

Yes!

I'm so glad to see this made it onto the site. I was one of the people suggesting little tweaks here and there while this was still a work in progress. The last WIP version of this I have still had a tiny little... coherance problem at the very end, in which I told you that I thought the peice needed to return to the beginning a bit more in order to suggest completion, and while you didn't do that exactly as I suggested, by layering it behind the final verse, you achieved that completion perfectly without unduely extending the mix. Awesome!

As I've said numerous times in your WIP thread, your voice is beautiful, the lyrics sublime. The alternating sections between lovely and creepy are fantastic. The beginning in particular works wonderfully well, with the non-lyrical vocals.

I particularly love the way that your voice placed over top the creepy little motif latter on in the piece gives it a little... playful feeling. Making light of something that was intended for darkness. It's a wonderful little feeling for me. I love it.

Wonderful stuff. I'm thrilled to have seen this make it.

Well done indeed!

Fantastic mix, the Forest Temple theme is actually my favorite track in OOT. I listened to this mix before reading the review too as the other dude stated. I am highly impressed by how well the Japanese vocals are...I couldnt believe it at first that it was song by someone who's really way into Japanese culture and not actually Japanese. You kick ass :) I still got goosebumps.

I've been waiting forever for a Forest Temple remix or extension but this wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Its a good song, just not what I was waiting for.

I like the sort of dry, chorus marimba echoed but I think the "Oh-eh" part sounds terrible!

Cool percussion at 3:45 I must say.

I wish the original strings could have stayed in.

For the vocals, I'm not sure what they're saying but I'm pretty sure its creative and thoughtful. The actual sound of the vocals isn't too bad either.

Anyways, yeah, it's an okay mix, just not what I was hoping for

I do love what was done with this. I completly forgot what this track sounded like until I started listening. I agree though that the "Oh-eh" vocalized part in the middle before 3:45 was a bit off. The disenance didn't seem too fit and the vocals seemed a bit too overpowering at that point. The rest was wonderful and deffinatly chill

I don't know if anyone else noticed (maybe it's just my copy), but right at the end, at 4:45, all the sounds stop completely. It sounds like it was cut off. Then it plays the final note of the song about a second later. Is it supposed to do that? It sounds very odd, and doesn't seem to belong in there.

Other than that, great song. I really liked it. It's very... relaxing. But in a different way than other mixes. I can't place my finger on it, but something about the music and the voices put together in this makes the music very relaxing for me.

Great job!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01333 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Prayer"