OCR01333 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Prayer"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...

I dont know if I'm one of the only ones who didnt really find anything bad with this song, I mean hell look at most other artists, they dont know the language but they tend to sing it anyway, I obviously heard that she didnt really sing it as if it was a first language, but hey, I didnt really care, I actually appreciated the song, and well I liked every minute of it, so I dont know why people are getting so upset by this fact, when in fact it is a remix, and if someone wants to make one the way they'd like it, by all means go ahead, but for now, I want to enjoy whats been given to me, namely this remix, so good job, I liked it alot!

What? I didn't comment on this?

This is one of my favorites off of OCR, probably because it's the kind of stuff I love. I think Japanese singing works better here than English would. Granted, I generally don't like Japanese Pop, but this isn't pop, this is more classical, and for that Japanese works better than many languages in my opinion. Or at least, it works better for me.

I didn't notice anything wrong with any of the pitches or anything like that, and Pixie pointed out why perfectly in her post a couple pages back.

This mix was a brilliant take on the original theme, very innovative. I give it 5/5

• 2 weeks later...
awsome song im defenitly burning this to a disk and i was just wondering i cought some beats from garageband did you use garageband?

She did, in fact, use Garageband. Good ears.

Come to think of it, I haven't thanked pixie yet for ReMixing one of the most haunting melodies from Ocarina of Time and turning it into an even more beautiful piece. So... thanks, pixie!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't care what anyone says, Prayer is just great! It's like Canon from Grand Turismo 4, you have to listen to it when you are wanting to relax. The vocals are very justifiable, since some songs sound very crappy in english, like the KH2 theme. >.<

So, I give this great ambient and vocal tune by Pixietricks a 10/10! =^-^=

• 4 weeks later...

As a brief prologue, I'll state that I like on a fairly heavily treed street, and I work fairly late.

So anyways...

I'd just gotten off the bus on my way home today, and this song came up in my mp3 player.

It's a nice night, but quite dark aside from the occasional streetlight. Also, there happened to be a light rain tonight.

As I was walking home, this song just fit the mood perfectly.

Only shortly after it ended did I remember that this also happens to be quite akin to the mood in the Forest Temple itself [only with more ghosts and hands falling from ceilings].

I think when a song can either provide perfect background music for a situation like that or make you recall moments like those, it's succeeded in what it's trying to do.

So..good job Jill.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
I just remembered what song the synth reminds me of.

http://www.icompositions.com/auditorium/showphoto.php?photo=4317

You have to wait until 7 seconds to hear it.

I truly do not think anything was stolen, but it does sounds almost exactly the same. Its too off-chance to hear this song, and then think about remixing a Zelda song and just happen to fit the synth into that Zelda song. Just thought it was interesting.

I was just going through old review threads again and noticed this post. Checked it out and I have to say the resemblance is uncanny...literally note for note, except for a key signature change. And the other dude remixes game music too! Perhaps it's some sort of GarageBand preset?

Then again, have David Easthope and Jill Goldin ever been seen in the same room together? HMMM...

• 6 months later...

I think this remix is excellent, Jill has a very nice voice which suits this track perfectly. I always liked this theme in OOT, it set the atmosphere nicely, and this has only been amplified by the great work that has been done here. The Japanese lyrics (very beautiful by the way) add a holy, slightly foreign feel to it, and it's all very true to the original, including the sound effects. :lol:

Great work.

• 2 months later...
Ah yes, another display of cunningly site (staff) criticism from Dhsu. He really could have picked a better example, as we've passed more cover-ish things.

I can get annoyed, but I still like when David does that; nothing wrong with keeping us in line. I could be wrong on the track implied, but we'll see. For the 1500 lockdown though, we voted on "Prayer" and let it stay due to having some interpretive merit, but myself and the panel at the time came to the consensus that we wouldn't have passed it in the first place had it went on the panel.

Yeah, but it's not really 'keeping us in line' when we didn't evaluate it to begin with. Not to mention that objectively speaking, it's not a MIDI rip with vocals on top, so those would be two reasons why it doesn't defeat my statement that you can't sub a MIDI rip with vocals and have it pass.

I would have backed him up if he was hatin' on AmberTrance though. ;)

Yeah, but it's not really 'keeping us in line' when we didn't evaluate it to begin with.

Which I already admitted. Again, I apologize for bringing it up, since it was no fault of the judges per Larry's elaboration.

Not to mention that objectively speaking, it's not a MIDI rip with vocals on top, so those would be two reasons why it doesn't defeat my statement that you can't sub a MIDI rip with vocals and have it pass.

You're right. It's a MIDI rip with a GarageBand preset and vocals on top.

I can get annoyed, but I still like when David does that; nothing wrong with keeping us in line.

I critique because I care. :)

You're right. It's a MIDI rip with a GarageBand preset and vocals on top.

Yeah, but they're GOOD vocals, and they constitute an original melody that's pretty creative...

Even still, I feel that if we'd known this was a GB preset, since it was already close, it probably wouldn't have been posted. I love the melody Jill added, but I think this is a case of the standards evolving, and I don't think it would be posted today. However, it's not egregious enough to remove, either, and was spared by the last and hopefully final lockdown, if I recall correctly.

WOW. I happen to have Prayer and the Ocarina of Time OST, so I went back and had a listen. Have to agree with Dhsu on this one. It's the exact original melody with a looping preset over it. On the other hand, I think Jill's vocals stand very well on their own, and I've already stated my stance on vocals in other languages. Had I been judging, which I obviously was not (nor was anyone else) I probably would have sent this one back for a little more imagination with the arrangement. That's a tall order though; the Forest Temple theme is an extremely daunting bit of music to remix, as it's barely music in the first place. I'd call it more of an ambience track, and Jill certainly did a better job than I would have. So in summation

NO (resubmit)

I've always wanted to do that.

• 4 weeks later...

Woooooaaaaaaah this mix has a lot of reviews.

So uh yeah! Forest Temple is a bitching song from Ocarina of Time. So it's great that it got coverage.

I really really really love ambient songs, so I love this mix as well! The staccato vocal things caught me off guard at first, but they've since grown on me. Nice work!

It's not a MIDI rip; there was no MIDI involved whatsoever. I sampled the rolling mallet percussion background from the game, and wrote an original melody to carry the piece somewhere other than strict ambience, interspersed with different re-hashed sections from the source.

It's the exact original melody with a looping preset over it.

Actually, the only "melody" in the original lasts about four bars, and there are layers upon layers of tracks in this remix even excluding my vocals, so you can't boil it down like that.

Prayer was not only my first remix, but my first hand at computer music-making period. Sure, the standards have evolved since I first joined this community, and I'm much more familiar with them now (hence being a judge). I wouldn't submit something like this today, but I still consider it a great first step in my musical journey. :>

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01333 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Prayer"