OCRA-0006 - Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic

Claado Shou

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://chrono.ocremix.org

OFFICIAL TORRENT: http://bt.ocremix.org/files/Chrono_Symphonic.torrent

Welcome to the official feedback thread of the OverClocked Remix Site Project, Chrono Symphonic. You may have heard of the project before; then again, you may have stumbled here by some other road. So let me give you a little synopsis, and tell you what this project is all about.

Chrono Symphonic is a project a long time in the making. Starting from the autumn days of October 2004, and ending in the wintry days of January 2006, it’s been a labor of love for everybody that has been a part of it. Initially designed to be the soundtrack for the long-desired Chrono Trigger movie (no, the movie doesn’t exist and probably never will), it encompasses 18 different artists' takes on the way such a film should sound in an orchestral setting, and many more on how it should look and feel. Never has such an abundance of talent been thrown into such a powerful calling, and never has the game Chrono Trigger, which many of us grew up playing, known so much love.

Basically, this is a project aimed at re-imagining Chrono Trigger the way it was imagined in its creators’ heads…a tale of love, and triumph, and struggling for the good of others while leaving your own inhibitions and fears behind. It’s the tale you’ve waited forever to hear…and now, you’re able to hear it.

Welcome to Chrono Symphonic, and enjoy your stay.

P.S. A special thanks goes to: StarZander for creating the Chrono Symphonic website; Compyfox for mastering the finished music; ZeaLitY and the Chrono Compendium for advertising and showing great faith in the project; Eon_Blue for his wonderful album art; pixietricks for being more than just a performer in almost all respects of the project; DarkeSword for his more-than-a-musician contributions to the project; Evilhead for translating the English lyrics into Japanese; VGDJ and Liontamer for super-pimping the project; DJP and the entire OCReMix community for listening and making this a worthwhile endeavor; and Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu, Noriko Matsueda, and Squaresoft for producing a game and a soundtrack that have wrought many great things in the lives of its audience. Thanks.

~.C.S.~

I'm wondering why the trailer and script and outline are not also included in the trailer?

Anyway I've heard some of the songs [like 3 maybe] before, though they probably sound different by now, however I'm sure the rest will be good also.

I haven't been listening to orchestral music at all for a long time, I don't like it as much as I like the more electronic, experimental styles, so I wonder how my mind will accept this one.

I'd just like to point out that due to blizihizake's remixer-name change at OCR, the link on his remixer profile at the Chrono Symphonic site does not work. (sorry if I posted that in the wrong thread, but since this really isn't about the Special Edition, I thought this would be the correct place to post this)

And from what I've listened to so far, this is just awesome.

I need to add this, but the "audition tracks" weren't planned for this release. That's why they aren't in the torrent. Those tracks aren't mastered by myself, so please keep that in mind.

Everything else is planned for the "Special Edition". The page will be fixed tomorrow, too. The Torrent file can be accessed via the mainpage of OCR. If you get tracker errors, please try to fix the ports and set them up properly.

Thanks a lot.

The .flac files of the torrent really are a pisser. As such, I have to download each song manually. If someone could zip (or rar) up all of the mp3s of the project to be hosted, that would probably be a lot better.

Just set your BT client to NOT download the flac files if you don't want them. Any BitTorrent client worth the space it occupies on your harddrive is able to deal with multifile torrents and file selectability.

I can ost the RAR file anyway, if Claadou approves.

Unfortunately, when I tried to download with the torrent, it replaced all of my mp3 versions with blank files before I could tell my Bittorrent client to ignore the mp3 version. So it looks like I'm using the torrent.

Edit: yes, I know I could just unpack the mirror pack again, but I feel that by seeding the mp3 files on the torrent as well, I'll be doing more for the community.

not sure if this is the best thread or if I should write in the other one. oh well, this post can be deleted once fixed.

in this page: http://vizzed.com/chrono/history.htm, the link to the history thread includes a Session Id.

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45588&sid=a4ea54c95f4a02f5d1b4555f57c91f11

you may want to remove it since it's unnecessary and can fuck up some non-firefox browsers.

Awesome work guys (don't tell anyone that I realized that the torrent was on the server 24 hours prior to release)... I've listened through about 4 times and am on my 5th playthrough. Thank you so much for an awesome collaboration that gives my memories of this spectacular RPG a cinematic quality. Cheers!

Wow... amazing... I've only heard the first song and it sent chills down my spine... I never realized how much I loved the music in this game... I'm going to play it over and over again just so I can hear the music. Looking very much forward to hearing the rest of the soundtrack.

I snagged the MP3's and I have the torrent downloading, just because.

This is the coolest thing since...I don't know what. Magnificent. Worth the delays and so much more. Worth the over-a-year that it took. It's really cinema quality, amazingly impressive. It's hard to believe that a group of unpaid (for this project, at least) mixers and crew did all this. That's why it's so awesome.

You guys deserve medals. And a vacation. A really long one, after dealing with all of us. Because you've earned that, at the very least. Geniuses, all of you.

<3 Compy, Claado, StarZander, DJP, Eon, and all the other insanely awesome people that made this happen.

Now I go to listen to the rest of it. :)

Okay, I'll provide some feedback. Right now I'm rushing like a hellhound.

I'm waiting for my Slashdot submit to go through. I was warned by SquareAmp's webmaster that the current game editor is kind of a nazi, and likes to only post things himself. Nonetheless, I'm hoping this is important enough for this guy's standards. If he posts something else unrelated and makes no mention of the news, I'm just going to submit it somewhere else on the site.

What I submitted was, in case anyone has inside connections iwth Slashdot,

~

Overclocked ReMix's latest site project, Chrono Symphonic, has debuted. It features 25 orchestral rearrangements of Chrono Trigger songs. Though almost completely digital, the album was intended to sound like a movie score. The convolution-based reverb settings used to simulate a live environment were that of the 700-seat Promenadikeskus Concert Hall in Pori, Finland. Over a year in the making, this is OCR's sixth site project.

This release is for the "Regular Version," which features 25 .mp3 tracks over two discs. A few days from now, possibly towards the end of January, a special edition will be released containing extra tracks and bonus material; it will feature a third data disc and also lossless music.

Chrono Symphonic is available here. Interviews with the entire staff and all remixers involved are also available at the Chrono Compendium. To celebrate, rom hackers have also released version 2.0 of the Chrono Trigger Coliseum. Happy listening!

heh, my "Author's Comment" and bio were written by someone else, without anyone asking me. maybe it'd be better just to remove the link? or clarify that it isn't me writing? I know that you guys gave me plenty of warning in regards to writing one of those things, and it's totally my fault that I didn't (I never really had time, but I'll still try to get around to it), but I would have at least appreciated it if you would have run this ghost written version by me, since it contains a few things that aren't true.

also, my arrangement doesn't have any of the Battle With Magus (as far as I know?) - just Marle's theme, the main battle theme, and a small hint of the Lavos theme.

heh, my "Author's Comment" and bio were written by someone else, without anyone asking me. maybe it'd be better just to remove the link? or clarify that it isn't me writing? I know that you guys gave me plenty of warning in regards to writing one of those things, and it's totally my fault that I didn't (I never really had time, but I'll still try to get around to it), but I would have at least appreciated it if you would have run this ghost written version by me, since it contains a few things that aren't true.

also, my arrangement doesn't have any of the Battle With Magus (as far as I know?) - just Marle's theme, the main battle theme, and a small hint of the Lavos theme.

Dunno any of the particulars, Mike, but why not take the opportunity now to PM a bio StarZander; I'm sure he'd replace the bootleg one with that.

Ha. Where's the project integrity? Disgraceful.

Loving some of the music; particularly Darkesword's and Sephfire's. Not sure about the poor dissonance in Cox's remix.. some of the other music, I have no particular liking for. In my opinion, the Far Away Times remix is quite poor -- to me, the insertion of Japanese is pretentious. I have no idea why that artistic decision was made. Pixietricks might have a magnificent voice, but it's not the voice for the song (or more specifically, this particular arrangement of it).

And Blake; if you're 16 you have plenty ahead of you. Your song shows glimpses of brilliance, but the consistency in arrangement and choice in instrumentation needs to be further refined.

Congratulations on 3 years of hard work.

I know nothing about music, so I just try to explain what I think in what terms I could muster.

Schala and the Queen

Somehow I prefer the pre-mastered verison, but in particular I think it's the singing. It's...too "clean". Kudos to CompyFox for making the singing less washed out. But from 2:15 to 2:22, it gives me the feeling as if pixeltrick is singing karoke to the tune, as if she is just singing over the recording (I know that's the reality...)

It could be just because I listened to the premastered verision too many times either (it had a permanent slot on my mp3 player)

Denadoro Climb

I love this song. I always dig the Wind Tune and this is great. "Great" is an understatement, believe me...But the from 1:00 the drums in the background are...annoying. It might be my subwoofer, but I am using Altec Lansing, and this particular model has no knob to turn the "bam-bam-bam" down.

Those are the more jarring one so far..

Wasn't there a track which incoporates the Singing Mountain?

I am getting this error while trying to play the .flac files:

Chrono_Symphonic_01_Inciting_Incident.flac: ERROR while encoding metadata state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ABORTED