OCR01465 - Sonic & Knuckles "Lover Reef"

djpretzel

Hehehe... so many hilarious comments above there :roll:

I do like the remix. Singing is good enough for a great remix. And the duet surprisingly works. And I can't imagine how tricky it was to organize 5 people :D (I was horrified just to see the number of remixers.)

Seriously, I never imagine Lava Reef tune can be turned into such a song. Lyric is probably a highlight. I didn't get all the references, I only got "sea of sand" and "bed of snow". The spoken part in the middle is also a nice interlude.

Too bad the remix is too short though :x

Anyway, I like this remix. Great job!

Well, that list is a little far-fetched. But I was definitely alluding to Sandopolis, Lava Reef, Ice Cap (Sonic 3 and Knuckles was the TRUE Sonic 3 :D), and Hidden Palace.

The chorus breakdown is spot-on, actually. PROPZ

I LIKE the first verse better as Sandopolis act 2 references, though. 'Cause that's the zone right before Lava Reef.

I must say, this mix is a perfect reflection of how wonderful it can be to hang out with a good group of people from OCR. So what if they're from the internet? They rock. To Jill, Mike, Andrew, and Jeremy: I couldn't have asked for a better group. The opportunity was more than I could have dreamed, and the way we clicked still makes my head spin.

And a little treat from IRC: [02:52] <shonen> We're the Deluxe Tricky Tossing Zircon Samurais

I must say, this mix is a perfect reflection of how wonderful it can be to hang out with a good group of people from OCR. So what if they're from the internet? They rock. To Jill, Mike, Andrew, and Jeremy: I couldn't have asked for a better group. The opportunity was more than I could have dreamed, and the way we clicked still makes my head spin.

And a little treat from IRC: [02:52] <shonen> We're the Deluxe Tricky Tossing Zircon Samurais

(tears of joy)

Hmm...

This is a really tough call for me. Personally, I'm not digging Shonen's vocals. No offense to you man, you did a fine job and I didn't hear any problems with it in terms of talent but it's personal preference. Your voice merely rubs me the wrong way. It annoys the hell out of me, actually. In fact, I'm not really into Pixie on this one, either. Maybe it was the mic or something but I much preferred her work in Journey's End.

Thank you for posting the instrumental, Zircon, I have to say that I prefer it over the vocal version this time. It's rare that this happens on OCR because I haven't had a problem with other vocal mixes other than Darangen's Falling Back but I guess it has to happen sometimes. Much appreciated and a great mix, peeps.

I cannot, in my mind's eye, accept that Pixie Tricks's spider-silk powerful voice comes out of little, tiny, Jilly.

Taucer, Shonnen and D-lux comprise a panalopy of modestly capable, shall we say "character," vocalists who belt out a mush-mouth of mliky-safe puppy-love tripe which lends the piece an Americanized and sanitized Saturday-morning-anime-opening quality. The stock-rock overdrive guitar also contributes.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's endearing in the same way as a clumsy baby. Besides, it all comes together well and everyone contributes something of real value.

It's a fine addition to the OCR library on its own merit as an arrangement, but is memorable for its--to use an overly grandious term--"historic" signifigance moreso than its musicality.

As an aside that will be of no interest to anyone, I, myself, actually recorded--I suppose you could say I engineered--Shonnen's vocals in what some people claim passes for my home studio, two days after the event. They were later sent to Zircon who mixed them in.

I'm proud to have had a small hand in its creation. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Taucer and trix is a match made in remix nirvana. Not to leave out the others, but I've been waiting for a Taucer trix mix forever. I hope they do another one soon.

:D

I can more or less guarantee that there will be future Taucer/Trix mixes. In fact, I would like very much to do more collaborations with any or all of the lover reef crew.

This is beautiful!:)

It makes me wish I had come all to way to the meeting:P

It's so nice to see how OCR members can come to understand themselves with their passion for music and create such a marvelous piece of art!!!!

I'm really proud of you guys somehow lol..!! I'll treasure this song and I thank you for your hard work!!!

Hoping to see a future colab from the crew!!!!

Winamp -> Play -> Repeat

Yes. Glad to listen to this remix at last, I loved this since it was posted in the WIP forum.

Zircon is a well-known remix master; Taucer has shown to be a very good guitarist; vocals work fine (couldn't be otherwise with Pixie's experience).

Put these talented people together and this is what you get.

Weak point: it's too short. But this is the purpose of the repeat/loop feature.

Taucer and trix is a match made in remix nirvana. Not to leave out the others, but I've been waiting for a Taucer trix mix forever. I hope they do another one soon.

:D

I can more or less guarantee that there will be future Taucer/Trix mixes. In fact, I would like very much to do more collaborations with any or all of the lover reef crew.

In fact, Taucer and I are working on something as we speak!

I kinda see where he's coming from... but I think it's because the vocal tracks weren't synced very well, that and pixie's voice is so powerful that when they sing together she drowns the guys voice out, haha. The singing styles didn't match either, and that with the talking guy at the end made it sound really cheesy(...but cheesy isn't always a bad thing :P).

Having said that, I liked it. :D

Now the real question is where did the OCR crew find this female who does the wonderful vocals and how much did they pay her. Maybe they conned her into it by deception and telling her that it was for American Idol.

We'll never know.

Ordinarily I dislike the vocal arrangments posted on OC

Remix but this time it wasn't the case.

I won't be ridiculous and say that Pixie's voice didn't out class Shonen's, however; they both did well and I think the remix had considereable replay. I for one wanted to hear it again the moment it ended.

Who can dispute?

As an aside that will be of no interest to anyone, I, myself, actually recorded--I suppose you could say I engineered--Shonnen's vocals in what some people claim passes for my home studio, two days after the event. They were later sent to Zircon who mixed them in.

I'm proud to have had a small hand in its creation. :)

<3 Shonnen Shamurai.

Awesome awesome song. Decent vocals, nice guitar, but I like zircon's stuff the most. Yay pads+piano. Clean all around.

My bad, it's not a blank webpage, it's just not a webpage at all.

Pixie, word of advice: Theres a reason almost every computer literate person in the world hates IE, starting with the fact that it isnt legally a web browser because it shits on about every standard there is and working down from there.

Oh and websites made a flash are a sure way to piss off a LOT of people. it's large, unwieldy, needlessly obfuscated, and hates anything slower than my 5mbit connection.

How about you leave your browser/webdevelopment evangelism out of this review thread? The site loaded in my browser (Firefox 1.5) in about two seconds. You're not here to review people's websites. Post a review of the music and move on. This isn't an official warning, but do it again and you'll get one.

Don't know what some people are smoking. But I would listen to a remix simply just voiced by Pixietricks.

Yes, pixietricks has exceptional vocals and I doubt many of the rest of us at OCR can top it. But if you still beg to differ, I can still see that you certainly have not listened to pixietricks's other mixes. You'll change your mind in an instant.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01465 - Sonic & Knuckles "Lover Reef"