OCR music authorization for videos

Chernabogue

Here's some backstory before the real request:

I'm currently working to get an optional diploma for my Law degree, which is about computer/Internet law. Only a few people are taking it, so it's a great bonus for me. We have an exam in March but we also have to do a project (to be done in April). My project is to do a series of online videos about the "droit d'auteur" ("author's rights", which is the French/European equivalent to the Common Law copyright).

I'd like to use some instrumental music in those videos. I won't have the time to write down music for those videos (fiming and editing will be long).

So I'm asking remixers who'd be interested if they're okay with me using their music (from OCR) in my videos. Of course, everyone who participates will be credited and I'll put links in the description to your artist profiles on OCR. So if you're okay, simply post here or send me a PM/Tweet (@Chernabogue) -- no real genre restriction, so I'm open to all artists/tracks/genres (even if I doubt I'll use death metal or dubstep during my explanations xD).

Thanks in advance to all people who'll give their authorization, it means a lot to me. :)

(Yeah, I'm asking because if I do videos about copyright and stuff, it'd be a shame to use music without authorization LOL)

Sounds like you're covered by OCR's content policy? Though I think we're still in the grey area, since technically you don't have the permission from the copyright holders of the original compositions? I'm putting question marks here because ... you're the one studying this matter and can tell us :D (to me OCR sounds like a good case for internet copyright student project..)

Anyway, you have my explicit permission to use my VGM arrangements that have been released through OCR. :)

Sounds like you're covered by OCR's content policy? Though I think we're still in the grey area, since technically you don't have the permission from the copyright holders of the original compositions? I'm putting question marks here because ... you're the one studying this matter and can tell us :D (to me OCR sounds like a good case for internet copyright student project..)

That's a good question, and I'm able to answer! :)

I'm asking musicians/interprets to use their OWN arrangements/pieces, which is different from asking the composer to use his/her work/piece. The arrangement is technically owned by the remixer, even if (and especially for commercial works) some royalties should have been paied to the original composers/societies.

I'm not a pro in terms of copyright, but I begin to be comfortable with the European system.

---

Thanks to you all BTW, much appreciated. And worry not, you know I'll credit you all! :)

No problem here. Stuff from ocr, unofficial albums (like hurry!, aocc), any game remix I've made.

Also, you should write a primer on remixes and copyright in European law for the site and game remixing community overall. I have no idea where to find any information about that stuff, so if you're doing a law degree about it you must know way more than the average remixer about it.

No problem here. Stuff from ocr, unofficial albums (like hurry!, aocc), any game remix I've made.

Also, you should write a primer on remixes and copyright in European law for the site and game remixing community overall. I have no idea where to find any information about that stuff, so if you're doing a law degree about it you must know way more than the average remixer about it.

Thanks, Rozo. That could be interesting to do indeed, I might write a small thing and wait to be graduated (next year maybe!) to write something more in-depth. I'm focusing on French law for now, but will try to see how things work for Europe/worldwide.

I don't think remixers can really say whether or not, the rights are OCR's once the song is posted... but use mine anyway you have my permission :-P

I prefer to ask remixers specificly. I'd need to re-read OCR's policy.

Thanks to everyone! I'm not I'll be able to use everyone's music, but the response so far is awesome and I'm very happy to be able to have a huge selection! :)

the rights are OCR's once the song is posted

No, that's 1000% not correct. :lol: We explicitly do not own the music.

3. YOU retain ownership and copyright of all original material submitted in this fashion to OverClocked ReMix.

We only ask people that when they use the music in a video, presentation, non-profit game, etc., to credit both the ReMixer and http://ocremix.org so that anyone looking to obtain the music can find it. No one is giving us ownership of their music, and we definitely don't want it.

• 2 weeks later...