OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Liontamer

I know there's not really much you can do with the ad rotation, but I have to say that this threw me for a loop for a second or two...

(image)

I'd imagine new users could be pretty confused by that ...

lol

Those play-asia ads are ok, but the google ads stuff is pretty irrelevant most of the time. How much does ocr actually get out of the ads? Would a "make ocr ad-free" campaign work? (I don't mean Ad-free, punny as that might be.)

• 2 months later...

This is a list of all games on the site, sorted by number of remixes, in ascending order.

http://ocremix.org/games/?&offset=0&sort=mixcountasc

There's 74 of them with no mixes at all. Some of them are left in the database after all of their remixes were removed during the removal processes/holocausts (good thinking, btw). Some (e.g. Guild Wars) are listed as having no mixes because they are a secondary source; covered only in ReMixes primarily of some other game (World of Warcraft, in this case).

A few games are ported to several consoles but only have mixes listed for one of them. I guess this makes sense if a soundtrack is not identical on all ported versions. The strange thing is - while e.g. the Arcade version of Bubble Bobble is listed as having no ReMixes, its game page lists 4, each of which in turn list the NES version as their source, never the Arcade version. However, each of these ReMixes are listed to cover the 'Main Theme'. Clicking this song name takes you to that song's page, which lists the Arcade version as its source. An incredibly minor issue, but it makes me wonder how this database is set up. :-?

Finally, there's a few here that actually do have ReMixes (though fairly recently added) on their game page, but are still listed as having no mixes in the list I linked to above (The Ninja Warriors, The Curse of Monkey Island, Crush, among others) despite existing on only one console. How long does it take for the database to update itself so it shows the correct number of ReMixes? I'm assuming it's not being done manually and that someone's just been sloppy. Either it doesn't update itself often enough or there's a bug somewhere.

Edited by Dafydd

Dafydd you saucy bastard, your attention to detail would be better served as part of our official staff, working on data entry/quality... we must discuss this on the IRC.

The answer to your questions is almost too complex to get into, but one of the causes is cached counters that do indeed get updated manually. There's KINDA a reason for that but it's not a great one, so we'll see about automating it. The counter currently calculates mixes based solely on primary game assignment, and needs to factor in songs as well. That should address most of those issues.

So apparently I possess "a certain irreverent gaiety and ease of manner", according to reliable sources and your previous post. Eye I can roll with that. :roll: I'd much rather be called saucy than cheesy, at any rate. Anyway, I noticed Polo was offered the same position. Can't think of a better person for the job, as the two of us have a record of excellent teamwork.

Fixing those counters would probably help, yeah, but I still wonder about Bubble Bobble. There's a song for the NES version, named 'Main Theme (Hurry Up!) - Skull Monster Appears', but that's not the one listed as the source tune for any of the ReMixes. Any good reason to keep it this way? Why is the arcade version even in the game database to begin with?

Speaking of the IRC, I can't seem to connect to it right now. Something about the channel not existing, despite being able to see the list of people logged in. Maybe it's only an issue with the online client.

Edited by Dafydd

The Recuit & Collaborate subforum would probably get a lot more visitors if it was listed in the forums dropdown menu in the site header. I found it by accident a few minutes ago, before which I had no memory of ever visiting it (even though I realize now I must have since I've posted in some of the threads). I know there's a Forums Home, but my guess is I'm not the only guy who mistakes the list in the dropdown menu for an exhaustive one. The Forums Home link looks more like a list title than a link, anyway.

Also, the online java client used for the irc seems to be broken. Maybe it needs an update?

Edited by Dafydd

The Recuit & Collaborate subforum would probably get a lot more visitors if it was listed in the forums dropdown menu in the site header. I found it by accident a few minutes ago, before which I had no memory of ever visiting it (even though I realize now I must have since I've posted in some of the threads). I know there's a Forums Home, but my guess is I'm not the only guy who mistakes the list in the dropdown menu for a complete one. The Forums Home link looks more like a list title than a link, anyway.

Also, the online java client used for the irc seems to be broken. Maybe it needs an update?

Is it still pointing to ETG?

My point is that when using the online applet, I can join the #ocremix channel and see the list of people in it, but whenever I try to say something I get the message 'Not in any channel yet, please type "/join #your_channel" first.'. Typing /join #ocremix, of course, doesn't help, since I'm already there. It didn't use to be this way so I'm assuming the client is either broken or outdated. I tried joining using xchat first, and then I could see my applet user joining and then quitting, so the applet is working to some extent, but the elevator doesn't quite go all the way up.

Edited by Dafydd

The page for the NES port of Donkey Kong could use some fixin'. A few Wikipedia articles state that it was released in '83, not '81 like the arcade version. This means that only the UVL reference link is correct about the release year (speaking of which, the IMDb page talks about the original game and the MobyGames link says '83 only in the header, not in the page contents). Also, the screenshot currently shows the arcade title screen, not the NES one.

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever I enter the Community forum, the site logs me out and it will not allow me to make a post without asking me to log in again. But, it wont allow me to log in. It just asks me to log in over and over again.

I can enter any other forum, even Off Topic and the private forums, and make posts, but I can't stay logged in wheneve I enter Community, so I can't make a post.

Is my computer just being an asshole, or what?

http://ocremix.org/game/24/sonic-the-hedgehog-3-gen

Warning: DOMDocument::loadXML() [domdocument.loadxml]: xmlParseEntityRef: no name in Entity, line: 99 in /home/ocremix/public_html/includes/php/classes/BaseView.php on line 192

Warning: XSLTProcessor::transformToXml() expects parameter 1 to be object, boolean given in /home/ocremix/public_html/includes/php/classes/BaseView.php on line 192

• 3 weeks later...

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01462/

Listed source is Bionic Commando Theme, though I'm pretty sure it's the Area 2 (& others) music. The three NES mixes we have list the same sourcetune from the NES version of the game, but they remix the Area 1 music. So, unless it's different in the gameboy version of the game, this should be renamed to Area 2 or whatever the official name of the OST track is.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01462/

Listed source is Bionic Commando Theme, though I'm pretty sure it's the Area 2 (& others) music. The three NES mixes we have list the same sourcetune from the NES version of the game, but they remix the Area 1 music. So, unless it's different in the gameboy version of the game, this should be renamed to Area 2 or whatever the official name of the OST track is.

The song name being "Bionic Commando Theme" doesn't mean it's wrong and/or not the Area 2 theme in the Game Boy version. If someone can verify which levels the theme is used in for the Game Boy game, that can be added as alias information. It's basically the same theme as the NES version, so (in terms of a relationship) it's like a child version of the parent NES theme.

Edited by Liontamer

• 3 weeks later...

don't know if this has been mentioned but when I download a remix I usually try aplus b/c it was faster than the first one iiens. But I randomly only get part of the song so I have to go to dreamhost and then I do get the entire song. Like today aplus only gave me like the first 2:50 of the new FF8 remix so I had to use dreamhost then I got the whole song.

The Recuit & Collaborate subforum would probably get a lot more visitors if it was listed in the forums dropdown menu in the site header. I found it by accident a few minutes ago, before which I had no memory of ever visiting it (even though I realize now I must have since I've posted in some of the threads). I know there's a Forums Home, but my guess is I'm not the only guy who mistakes the list in the dropdown menu for an exhaustive one. The Forums Home link looks more like a list title than a link, anyway.

It might be a saucy thing to do, but I would think this is kind of important, so I'm quoting myself in case this got overlooked somehow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi OCR staff guys!

I don't know if it is apropriate for this thread, but months ago I offered myself to translate the submitting page ( http://ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions ) to portuguese. At that time, I sent the proposal by e-mail.

But I haven't even received a reply. So I don't know if my propose of translation is unecessary or it was ignored because that, or because the e-mail was not received.

Hi OCR staff guys!

I don't know if it is apropriate for this thread, but months ago I offered myself to translate the submitting page ( http://ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions ) to portuguese. At that time, I sent the proposal by e-mail.

But I haven't even received a reply. So I don't know if my propose of translation is unecessary or it was ignored because that, or because the e-mail was not received.

I never got that message, so it depends what e-mail address you mailed.

We could definitely use Portuguese submissions instructions, so, YES, we would definitely appreciate your help! Go for it! :-)

I never got that message, so it depends what e-mail address you mailed.

We could definitely use Portuguese submissions instructions, so, YES, we would definitely appreciate your help! Go for it! :-)

Thx for answer Liontamer. In fact, I don't remember which e-mail I sent. Well, just tell me to which email I have to send it, and it will be ready faster than you can think.

• Liontamer changed the title to OC ReMix connection not secure?
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • DarkeSword locked and unpinned this topic