OCR-Tan

DarkeSword

I have a few of the OCR-Tans saved on my computer; I'll probably upload them tomorrow (just got back from my vacation and still tired...)

Great to see that cosplay though; I'll be heading over to the Otakon thread to catch up once I have some energy. :sleepdepriv:

Edit: Don't know why I didn't see Pixie's picts before I posted, but all I have to say is :nicework: !

Somehow I missed this the first time through.

The art work posted in here is quite nice... but uh, doesn't this kind of steer in the opposite direction of the whole "more professional" thing that was being bantered about a while back? The site has a logo, and even an unofficial (freeware) font of sorts. Somehow, giving the site its own Anime-esque character just seems a bit like a "me too" thing to do, given Anime's popularity, and the whole OS-tan, game system-tan, etc. thing. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it doesn't seem... fitting.

Anyway, don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything, and God knows I'm sure I'll get at least a few "No one asked you" comments over this, but I felt the need to express my thoughts on it. I'll go put on my asbestos suit now.

Somehow I missed this the first time through.

The art work posted in here is quite nice... but uh, doesn't this kind of steer in the opposite direction of the whole "more professional" thing that was being bantered about a while back? The site has a logo, and even an unofficial (freeware) font of sorts. Somehow, giving the site its own Anime-esque character just seems a bit like a "me too" thing to do, given Anime's popularity, and the whole OS-tan, game system-tan, etc. thing. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it doesn't seem... fitting.

Anyway, don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything, and God knows I'm sure I'll get at least a few "No one asked you" comments over this, but I felt the need to express my thoughts on it. I'll go put on my asbestos suit now.

I agree. I think you should make an official OCR animated gif instead. I'm dead serious!

Who designed the OCR-tan mascot in the first place? David?
There were tons of pictures in the last thread, including a lovely one by BlackMyst that became semi-official. I believe Jill (pixietricks) cosplayed OCR-tan at this year's Otakon too.

The answer was actually mixed in with Darke's first post. I was one of the guys (Bonus was another) working on a design for OCR-Tan when Blackmyst flew in from out of nowhere with his crazy-awesome design. After Ol' Pretz said it was his favorite, I revamped mine into an OCR3-Tan to represent the previous OCR layout. After that, a little work was done on making an OCR1-Tan by Dish and myself (if I recall correctly), but the thread slowed to a halt and eventually died before anything else happened. :-?

I really liked Bean's OCR3-tan. Would you happen to have those pics, Douli?

QFE. That OCR-Tan was better, imo, but if the orange haired, unsmiling, SNES guitar weilding, winged headphone wearing OCR-Tan is what the community decided upon, I won't object. I would like to see all those old pics again in this thread though.

EDIT: This nice girl:

ChibiOCR3-tan.png

There were several other designs for her which I liked better than this one.

Hahahaa... That comic is great. *save*

As for the guitar question (too lazy to check who asked it), here's a detailed account:

zircon and I found the already silver-bodied guitar for $30 on ebay, plus another $30 for shipping. I ordered silver spray paint from an art store and he and Bahamut helped me paint the neck, headphones, boots, etc during the Philly meetup last month. I knew about BGC's wife's expertise in polymer clay design, so I placed an order for all the custom SNES buttons with her. Once they arrived, Andy and I spray painted a manilla folder, and I used various glasses to trace the different circle sizes for the back of the D and button pads. A little adhesive, and we were good to go. Very pleased with the results, and huge kudos to Amanda for her precision! :D

I really liked Bean's OCR3-tan. Would you happen to have those pics, Douli?

http://www.doulifee.com/Storage/Unmod/OCRMisc/showcase.php

the tan are hosted there anyway now that i think about it. not really unmod/offtop stuff, more like pic i like grabbed from ocr. :roll: