Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

DarkeSword

One of the problems with Corruption, is the layout of the levels.

In the original Prime, the levels were more like a 3D spider web. You were able to move around from room to room, from region to region, usually with 3 or 4 different paths to them. You were rarely forced to take the same path to get through an area, if you didn't want to.

In Echoes, it was still spiderwebbed, but they locked too many areas off. Too much damage to the environment, preventing you from being able to easily move between the worlds at will, resulting in having to backtrack half a map, just to move to the other world, then track back to where you were.

In Corruption.. There's almost no webbing in level design. You have ship points anywhere they might normally have a save spot, but otherwise it's pretty much just a straight path. You don't even get multiple paths to go, from any given entry point, to any other major interaction point, until you reach near the end of the game.

First off difficulty. Corruption is too easy, Echoes is too hard. So many people complained that Echoes was too hard, so much so, that Retro made sure that was one of the things they addressed in Corruption.

echoes was difficult because of the counter-intuitive level design and the fact that every item required a boss fight. corruption made it seem like they didnt even try in those areas. plus, even with the hint system off in corruption, youre still told where to go, which seems is built in to the story-driven design of the game. i liked it much better in super metroid or prime 1. they both had well distributed boss battles, and even though they didnt happen as often, they were tougher.

Second, exploration. Corruption is more fast paced, has overall smaller worlds, and traveling is made easier with your ship. In Echoes traveling takes way to long, too much back tracking, and the worlds are too big to walk in.

exploration was a huge aspect of previous metroid games, but it seems that exploration was much more fun in previous metroid games because of the rewards. now its like the game punishes you for exploring. oh you wanna explore? have fun navigating through these energy draining areas just to find you have to go all the way back through it because youre missing a certain item. in other metroid games it was like "oops i f-ed up...oh heres an elevator let me go do something else."

It just doesn't make sense. Here is a great game developer that tries to listen to what their fans want and when they actually listen, the fans turn right around and complain about the things they wanted changed. What does it take to please people.

okay. being a developer let me talk about this for a second.

yes, the job of a developer is to listen to its users. however, that does not mean that everything a developer makes is what the users want. in fact ive seen some developers hand a project that was completely what the user didnt want.

ive also seen developers over-complicate the requirements to the point where they wouldnt have the budget or time to complete it. this is whats called "gold plating"

the developer says "well lets fulfill this requirement by doing all sorts of neat shit!"

bad developer, bad.

what im trying to say is: just because we dislike something in echoes, doesnt mean we want it completely erradicated in the next installment. just do it right this time. in addition, simply fix the issue rather than radically changing the game, because thats what we as users wanted.

i have absolutely no idea y people are making stupid claims that MP3 is bad. I love the game and am playing through it a 3rd time. first i have played the other metroid games and i dont see a difference in working with the space federation cause ur still alone in the end and the boss fights were amazing. second if u dont like the hint system turn it off retards. third there is a difficulty setting if u didnt know so dont complain that is too easy. third the ship puzzles were good and doing bombing runs with the ship is awesome and travelling with the ship was easier than traversing through half the planet to get to somewhere else.

so all u "metroid" fans who cant appreciate one of the best games in the series can shove ur dumb excuses where the sun dont shine cause thats exactly where they came from.

fusion was also a great game and very story driven but i didnt hear many complaints for that one. so tell me how is that diff from mp3.

i have absolutely no idea why people are making stupid claims that MP3 is bad. I love the game and am playing through it a 3rd time. first i have played the other metroid games and i don't see a difference in working with the space federation cause you're still alone in the end and the boss fights were amazing. second if you don't like the hint system turn it off retards. third there is a difficulty setting if you didn't know so don't complain that is too easy. third the ship puzzles were good and doing bombing runs with the ship is awesome and travelling with the ship was easier than traversing through half the planet to get to somewhere else.

so all you "metroid" fans who can't appreciate one of the best games in the series can shove your dumb excuses where the sun don't shine cause that's exactly where they came from.

fusion was also a great game and very story driven but i didn't hear many complaints for that one. so tell me how is that diff from mp3.

I can forgive the lack of capitalization, and even the loose grammar, but the chatroom shorthand and lack of simple punctuation is just... god damn it. If you can't press two extra keys to make a complete word, then why bother typing at all?

Fuck.

And a game should be critically examined, regardless of how much you like it. Otherwise you come off as a blind fanboy.

For the people saying the beginning doesn't feel too metroidy is because Retro made it like that. Go watch some interviews. They made the game like that so you could get used to the controls. And I'm at skytown right now and this place feels pretty metroidy.

Beat this game on Sunday. 92% completion and about 15 hours. Thought alot of the bosses were pretty fun. The bryyo major boss was the only one to kill me.(I think the difficulty to him is you're just not completely used to aiming and other things quite yet). Also, Metroids are fricken annoying until you get the xray/nova combo. Takes about 8 quick charge shots or if you're lucky with a missile(they dodge those pretty easily). I liked alot of the game, even if it was predictable. As soon as the other trooper gets on the elevator with you, I suddenly thought Gandrayda and was like here comes another boss battle. Then sure enough (s)he shoots at you. She was unexpectedly more difficult though so that made the fight pretty neat(Plus the having to shake her off if she jumped at you).

The visible effects of corruption were pretty awesome too, and I didn't notice them until I reached 50% corrupted. Not only does it change her suit but her face as well. Check her reflection in the scan visor to notice it.

Gonna go for 100% completion then start a new game.

Metroid Prime 3 is a superb game. Criticize it all you want, it won't make a difference for me. Retro gave 100% effort, and it shows. Even its special little details have their special little details. And the game is smart, too. This is a smart game for people who like smart games. And speaking of smart, if Nintendo knows what's good for them, they will beg the shit out of Retro to breathe life into another one of their franchises (or to make a new one with them).

The beginning felt a little un-Metroid to me until I watched GameTrailer's retrospective again and remembered that Samus dealing with the Feds is far from new. I think the beginning just feels a little un-Metroid Prime. But a little change is not a bad thing.

It was the fusion of the prime series.

You can't call it bad, but its different.

Prime 1: FF7

Prime Hunters: FF11?

Prime Pinball FF9?

Prime 2: FF8

Prime 3 FF12?

What the hell happened to FFX and X2?

No, no, no. Prime 1 is much more like FF6 than 7 - still disputed, but generally accepted as a great game. I'd say Hunters is more like 7 - a sharp change from the rest of the series, more heavily disputed as far as quality goes. Or perhaps it's more like Tactics - intentionally different from the rest of the series, but retaining elements from it. Prime 3 sounds to me the most like 12, as both fundamentally change the system they've been relying on, for better or worse. Echoes... I don't know.

The little narrative in the ending credits is the most cringeworthy thing in the game.

Ugh, QFT.

I was thinking at that very moment... wow, I do not have a real problem with a single moment in the entire game.

"Horrible little narrative during credits"

@#*$%