OCR00060 - Dune "Arrakis (Wormsign Mix)"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I adored the original game and it's music. Both the PC and Amiga versions

were breathtakingly awesome. I recently rediscovered the old PC-CDROM

version in my attic... so I threw together an old Pentium 75 box to play

it on. (: Ahh the magic of retroware titles. This mix is so great, it makes

me smile to listen to it. The original definatly captures that 'Dune' feel..

sort of exotic/tribal but with a modern hint or two. The remix is all that

and a bit more.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've heard alot of really good remixes, but this is my favorite. For starters I liked the music from the game to start, and this is actualy very close to the game, just better, like what the game would have sounded like had it been made today.

Total nostalgia (sp?)

^_^

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The opening seconds with the metalicised hits is brilliant...puts me in mind of "Belfast" by orbital...which is brilliant :)

I wasnt too sure about the hits at first...the ones that play as the strings do their bit, but they seem to have grown on me...or gone away before I grew to hate them.

The first time the precussion comes in it seems to be in a different dimension to the rest of the remix...a little reverb would fix this right up. Though when the song speeds up, the drums are fine.

The melody (played on something that reminded me of a flute...and later on string like instruments) could do with being a bit louder...the drums seem to engulf it and it gets lost in the rhythms.

I have to say my favourite parts of the remix are when whatevers going on in the foreground has the synths to accompany it...cause they give it that little extra oomf of atmostphere, y'know?

I recommend to anyone...I havent played the dune game (yet) and I still think its a really good remix, so Id recommend it to anyone who;'s loking for something to chillout ot but a little upbeat at the same time...study music comes to mind.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI, the original Dune video game music was not created by Frank Klepacki. Exxos (Stéphane Picq and Philip Ulrich) of CRYO Lab Studios are the true artists (Westwood had nothing to do with this game; CRYO were the developers).

The rare official soundtrack 'Dune: Spice Opera' has become quite valuable, and for a good reason besides its very limited run packaged in a 'special edition' of the game. You can find it in MP3 form at … well, it used to be easy to find but now you'll have to trawl the P2P system (or Google a bit harder than me :P).

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Percussion on this is super catchy and carries the piece pretty decisively. The melody is very subtle, but to be totally honest, there really isn't much room in here for a melody with all the rhythm madness going on. Synths are pretty decent, but unremarkable in general, as they are only prominent at the beginning, where they set up a wide, expansive soundscape.

The mix never seems to grow past a certain point though. Once everything gets built up, it doesn't shift much, and I think it could build even further. I also think the ending could have been a bit more elegant in it's execution; a more defined ending would have suited the piece, or better still, a breakdown of elements going back to the sparse synths. I think that would complete the feel of traveling through a desert.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

An interesting ReMix that starts out with a bit of a nice ambient sound with a good beat, then ramps it up after the build. Some things I think could have been expanded on or altered by how long they played, but not a bad mix at all.

• 3 years later...

Right off the bat this captures (what I imagine is) the mood much better than the original DOS version. Some really interesting sound choices. A bit of bounciness to keep things moving, almost feels like a post-apocalyptic road trip song. I bet it'd be fun to drive acrosst the desert blasting this stupidly loud.

The transitions to the different parts happen at perfect times too, just when you're feeling very familiar with one bit you're sent to the next part. Even if the song stretches its content a little bit thin, those strategic moments of change help it feel alright anyway.  

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00060 - Dune "Arrakis (Wormsign Mix)"