Donkey Kong (+2600)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationBack in Europe

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

It's very dark and creepy, but it has a beauty and elegance about it

This.

Furthermore, I agree with what has been said about the radio framing; nice idea.

Good stuff, hope to hear more from you.
"It won't matter soon anyway, because this forum won't exist. So why don't you just phase out like a good little unmodder?"

#22 Crulex

Crulex

Strider Hiryu (+2100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,140 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

It does sound playfully dark, like something out of a Tim Burton movie. It fits the idea of an asylum inmate slowly losing it. The idea with the radio intro and outro was really cool. A bit short, but very enjoyable.

06_hisakoultra.jpg

#23 meccaneer

meccaneer

Alex Kidd (+200)

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX, USA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Amazing, man. I really like it. A good take on a classic tune. Has a sort of a Danny Elfman feel about it. I would have loved for it to be longer, of course!

#24 Mythezza

Mythezza

Chocobo (+20)

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Great remix! I don't know if it necessarily fits my memory of that cave, but what a great mix. I cannot get enough of it. Totally unique. The orchestration sounds really great too, imo. Also I like that it is sort of sassy.

I love this so much that I can't even use my words.

#25 Lady Shinigami

Lady Shinigami

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationVirginia, United States

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Read the description about dear old Betty as the track started. Thought, "Oh, how cute, with the radio thing!"

Then came the transition. Literally got the chills. It was awesome.

I've always found the very beginning of the source material to be suitably mysterious and potentially frightening, but felt it was a bit too fast to be properly discomfiting. This piece didn't slow it down but still fixed that issue, and made it absolutely creepy.

I'm not a huge jazz fan, either; it has to be pretty light for me to not notice/not care/actually like it. But what was here really worked, and the swing bits were a good inclusion. I guess what I'm saying is that nothing overwhelmed anything else except where it was needed to give the sense of someone who's a little disconnected and whose memory isn't as reliable as one would hope.

Very well done.

~LS
Approach style realizing it is oneself being approached, and turn from popular devices of style—all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity.
–condensed from The Elements of Style

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brass, choir, dark, halloween, jazz, orchestral, strings, swing, woodwinds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums