Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 PM
djpretzel's Avatar
djpretzel djpretzel is offline
David W. Lloyd, Administrator
Ganon (+8000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Fairfax, Virginia, USA
OCR02277 - Metroid Prime 3 'Lore Hunter'

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.
__________________

djpretzel / www.ocremix.org / www.djpretzel.com / anime mixes
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
  #2  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 PM
kaijin's Avatar
kaijin kaijin is offline
Tim Sheehy
Goomba (+100)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chula Vista, California
Send a message via AIM to kaijin
Just a reminder, velocities are a thing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 PM
DarkeSword's Avatar
DarkeSword DarkeSword is offline
Shariq Ansari, Judge, Moderator, For Everlasting Peace Director
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
Just a reminder, velocities are a thing.
Yeah, I use them all the time!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
big giant circles's Avatar
big giant circles big giant circles is offline
Jimmy Hinson
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Just a reminder, velociraptors are a thing.
__________________
"The Glory Days" album is pre-released! (officially out 2/14/14) Click below!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Level 99's Avatar
Level 99 Level 99 is offline
Stevo, OverClocked After Dark Host, Lucid Dreaming Director
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Send a message via AIM to Level 99 Send a message via Skype™ to Level 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
Just a reminder, velocities are a thing.
They are a thing. So are reviews that actually mean something. They are also a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big giant circles View Post
Just a reminder, velociraptors are a thing.




On a serious note, I really liked this mix. The drum sequencing was quite slick, and I really enjoyed the rhodes you used. Nice use of stereo with the panned backing pads and sfx. Clarinet was...well, I wish it were something that were not incredible difficult to sequence well. It's not spectacular, but it is definitely adequate. Breakdown could have been a LITTLE more fleshed out and expanded but no biggie. Still good stuff!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:52 PM
djpretzel's Avatar
djpretzel djpretzel is offline
David W. Lloyd, Administrator
Ganon (+8000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Fairfax, Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
Just a reminder, velocities are a thing.
That's actually probably a fair critique, but it's pretty douchily/sarcastically made; golden rule = mixcomment unto others as you would have them mixcomment unto yourself?
__________________

djpretzel / www.ocremix.org / www.djpretzel.com / anime mixes
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM
kaijin's Avatar
kaijin kaijin is offline
Tim Sheehy
Goomba (+100)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chula Vista, California
Send a message via AIM to kaijin
Wasn't meant to be sarcastic. If I were being sarcastic I would have said something along the lines of "Great job editing those dynamics with your mouse!"

Instead, it was a valid and concise piece of constructive criticism. I wouldn't take it so personally if I were you.

Last edited by kaijin; 08-12-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
DarkeSword's Avatar
DarkeSword DarkeSword is offline
Shariq Ansari, Judge, Moderator, For Everlasting Peace Director
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
Wasn't meant to be sarcastic. If I were being sarcastic I would have said something alone the lines of "Great job editing those dynamics with your mouse!"

Instead, it was a valid and concise piece of constructive criticism. I wouldn't take it so personally if I were you.
I'm not going to take it personally, because I actually do spend a lot of time tweaking velocities in all of my pieces, especially in this piece. Maybe it doesn't come across because I don't do really stark differences in velocities between notes, but it is something I'm always keeping in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
kaijin's Avatar
kaijin kaijin is offline
Tim Sheehy
Goomba (+100)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chula Vista, California
Send a message via AIM to kaijin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeSword View Post
I'm not going to take it personally, because I actually do spend a lot of time tweaking velocities in all of my pieces, especially in this piece. Maybe it doesn't come across because I don't do really stark differences in velocities between notes, but it is something I'm always keeping in mind.
Really?

Well, I certainly won't patronize you by giving an in-depth example of how to humanize your parts since you claim to do so already. However, as someone who actually plays a musical instrument, might I suggest increasing the increment of your velocities ever so slightly? At least enough that we can perceive it? I assure you it will only help.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM
DarkeSword's Avatar
DarkeSword DarkeSword is offline
Shariq Ansari, Judge, Moderator, For Everlasting Peace Director
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
Really?

Well, I certainly won't patronize you by giving an in-depth example of how to humanize your parts since you claim to do so already. However, as someone who actually plays a musical instrument, might I suggest increasing the increment of your velocities ever so slightly? At least enough that we can perceive it? I assure you it will only help.
I do know how to play an instrument actually; I played trumpet for a number of years before switching over to mainly composing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clarinet, jazz, mellow, piano, strings, tempo-fast

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.