OCR00161 - Metroid "Samus Strut"

m68030

• 3 weeks later...

A great remix!

Like m68030 said, the bassline is killer. :o I like how in the very beginning, the song is composed only of two types of voices: very high treble and very low bass. The mid-range voices don't really come into play until the bridge of the song... rather clever if you ask me.

Speaking of being clever, I love this remix because it required quite a bit of music theory knowledge to make. After all, AmIEvil takes a song written in 3/4 (or 6/8) time and transforms it to a strictly duple meter. Nice work there, it's brilliant! :)

The title, oddly enough, also fits, IMO. The mix has a very... well, strut-like feel to it. I can picture Samus walking down the street all bad@$$... all right, I'll stop, I'll try and keep this review serious. ;)

Great work! Ingenious theory tricks, and you make it sound good, too.

Personal Rating: 8.5/10

Good lord, for anyone who has subs in their car, take this song, burn it on a cd, and go play it at night....WOW! The bass in this song is absolutely incredible! I'm always afraid I'm gonna blow my speakers....wow! I must say I realllllly like this mix, it's well done, and has a lot of good things happening in it. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Good lord, for anyone who has subs in their car, take this song, burn it on a cd, and go play it at night....WOW! The bass in this song is absolutely incredible! I'm always afraid I'm gonna blow my speakers....wow! I must say I realllllly like this mix, it's well done, and has a lot of good things happening in it. :)

I couldn't agree more. It's just... amazing. Words don't do it justice. :)

Awesome awesome awesome.

I love it. Love it enough to add it and Ben Lewis's Brinstar mix to the list of mixes that would have been right at home in Metroid Prime. Good stuff.

This bass will take your girlfriend, have its way with her, give her the best time of her life, have her make it omelettes in the morning, and then throw her out on her ass right after. And she'll still come crawling back.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is standard high quality techno fare from our good friend AmIEvil. What makes this one different and downloadable for the masses is obviously the bass. I mean honestly, if you have anything resembling a subwoofer, you won't be able to hear the melody since the bass is jacked up so high. The only reasons why this doesn't detract from the song are that it perfectly complements everything else AmIEvil used and that the bass is so wonderfully high quality. 6/8

• 11 months later...

I've never played much Metroid, but I must say that this ReMix is awesome. God, I'm glad my Sony MDR-V500 'phones have the freq response to pick up that yummy sub. I love the groovy percussion, and that mellow tabla is just cool. The creepy strings and ambient sounds give it a more-than-adequate amount of darkness... simply amazing. :D

• 3 months later...

AmIEvil is incredible. 'Nuff said.

The bass line makes me want to get a really good quality stereo (or better head phones...). 1:02 is awesome with the drums fading in and then 1:05 couldn't be more perfect. The melody is just soooooo well done!

Between this remix, "Hipccordian" (Zelda II), and "RiverofTime AmIEvil" (Zelda 64), I can't understand why he's not getting paid. I feel like I'm listening to professionally produced and engineered music. I'm blown away... Keep it up!

• 3 weeks later...

this. song. is. awsome. it has the perfect intro and all the sound effects and intrustruments blend together thoroughly. it also for some reason reminds me of an evil demon from hell taking over the world, but thats beside the point. the point is that this song is a five star and definitly desirves being on this site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have nothing but praise for this remix. The tune is just so upbeat even though it was taken from Metroid. The mix is perfect to listen to at any time during the day. I really liked how the mix transitioned at around 1:05s, from a slower tune to a more up beat tune.

There also seems to be some background water drop effect type things that really keep the pace of the tune very well.

So, for my 2nd review of remixes, I will give this one a...

10/10

• 3 months later...

It's so strange hearing such a familiar song with a different time signature but this is still outstanding.

I love the bassline AmIEvil's got going here

Strangly at 1:04 it doesn't sound like it's in a different time signature but that makes it good

I'm still loving the bassline

But at 1:26 the bassline get's sloppy, the melody here is great though

1:47 the transition there is cool but the melody just seems off, its got a 3/4 time sig melody in a 4/4 atmosphere, that's just too weird for me but this is still a psycho, funky, kick-ass song!

• 2 years later...

For the first half of the remix it sounds like an ambient and chilled out Korn track, and without the faux aggression Korn attempts, it works way better. It has a very sinister groove going on, and the bass is super intense. The changeup halfway through is just what it needed before going back to the main section, and though I'd have liked the track to be longer, I'm not sure what really more could be done. Increasing the intensity would be good for a huge climax, but I think that part of the mystery in this is what makes it so appealing. You just see glimpses of it.

Not normally my style, but this really speaks to me.

Hella great.

I don't really like the synth at the beginning—I think it's a little high and grating. The minimalist beat's nice, though, as is the opening electronic ambience. The offset time signature makes the melody feel a little weird, but props to AIE for giving the track his own unique flava. It feels a little short, too, though I'm not really sure why. Synths used are serviceable, but nothing outstanding.

My rating: 2.5/5

• 1 year later...

This feels like music you'd play when a gang of 5 people in suits come walking through a dark alleyway in a black and white movie all brandishing guns, with slow-mo and the cameras panning from right to left, cutting to fuller shots from a farther distance to get a larger view of them to ultimately fully appreciate the awesomeness (hate to glorify em) of these 5 contract killers coming to put a hit on some tied up individual.

If you understood that, i deserve a medal. lol.

The ambient wind sets up the scene, then they come in with the intro of the main melody, and they unload when the second part of the melody hits. I guess that does sound a little sexual, prolly because there's this huge buildup going on in the intro that finally gets released a bit with the second part of the melody. And the terms that one can use for firing bullets are too ambiguous.

Awesome. OCR needs a competition to make fake movie scenes for all of AmIEvil's works... they're that friggin cinematic. Love the bass, sometimes I wish it were slightly quieter but it would lose a lot of energy without that intensity. The time sig change along with note duration changes really lend itself to the whole badass theatrical imagery for me.

• 6 months later...

I'm a huge fan of the Metroid score, and I see this mix as a long, hard look at what makes it so great. And when I say long, I don't mean in the mix's length, as this is yet another AmIEvil mix that is petrified of outstaying its welcome.

By playing around with the time signatures, this mix really shows off the original piece's complexity in its simplicity, which is what I love. It shines some new light on it and musically examines it at a magnified level. However, besides the variance in time signature, there is little to no actual difference in terms of arrangement, which I can live with. It's been given a more refined pace, a cleaner sound and a hell of a lot of bass. You could do worse to a classic.

• 5 months later...

The first 21 seconds are seductive as both Kraid's Lair and windy ambience creep forward. In general, the arrangement gets some natural, orderly extrapolations in 4/4, but the slower tempo makes it surprisingly tiresome for me. It's also a shame that the bass pulsates so strongly it intrudes on the chill mood set by the percussion (although it better controls itself at 1:04).

Not as balanced as I'd prefer, but at least the beat stays as sexy as Samus's prostitute-like outing.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00161 - Metroid "Samus Strut"