ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

I've got a compliment and a question.

First off, even though mixes aren't posted on the judges forum, I have to give props to the judges. The verdicts I've read in there seem to be completely fair, and even though some judges may like the submissions and keep them to listen to, if they don't reach the benchmark set by the site, they don't get on. This tells me that as far as I can see, the judges are not biased at all, so great job you guys! :-o

Now my question. There's like a bazillion genres out there, but is the bar a tiny bit higher or lower depending on which genre is being judged, or is the bar equal across all genres?

I kinda made a John Cage inspired joke mix and submitted a few years ago...

I've got a funny question so don't take this too seriously, but would you guys get pissed off if the 3 out of 9 tracks for Demon's Crest black metal EP to pass were done by halc, chthonic, and willrock? And the other 6 songs were kvlt black metal? hahah

Let me get this straight:

You're asking if you can have 3 of the 9 tracks on your EP to pass (which is, from my understanding, what is required for it to be "OCR official") done by people just because they will pass? The rest wouldn't try to pass?

Just clarify it for me, even if it was asked half-seriously.

Let me get this straight:

You're asking if you can have 3 of the 9 tracks on your EP to pass (which is, from my understanding, what is required for it to be "OCR official") done by people just because they will pass? The rest wouldn't try to pass?

Just clarify it for me, even if it was asked half-seriously.

Yeah, that was the half-serious question. :-P

Have the 3 tailor-made OCR style songs by halc, chthonic, and willrock... Then the black metal ones of the rest of the EP that would be good, but wouldn't be like 'that'! I'm not serious about doing that, I just thought it'd be silly to ask and perhaps find out how they would actually handle that situation. :-P

Would you guys not pass it because it had 3 different genre songs on it, or because it had black metal in it?

Because you're approaching it with the attitude of making only 3 songs out of 9 "passable." You're shooting for baselines.

You put way too much stock in the "1/3 of the tracks need to be passable" thing. That is not a hard and fast rule; it slides based on the total number tracks. If you have an album with 42 tracks on it, having 14 "passable" tracks is fine, because it's fourteen, which is a lot.

That said, your implications about genre are entirely off-base. We're not going to reject an EP because it's black metal, or because it has 3 different genres on it. That's not part the equation. You say that you'd have the rest of the songs as good black metal, but not like "that," which means you don't think OCR would post black metal, which isn't true.

Edited by DarkeSword

What is bothering me is that, whether you are intending it or not, you are making it seem that you are only going to put just as much effort in as is needed to get the album released on OCR. That just reads as bad taste.

And what makes it worse is that now you are saying you won't even be the one doing the effort to make it passable, but are going to have other people put in all the hard work for you and mooch off their success. Seriously, you are losing opinion points here from me pretty badly.

For some reason I didn't get notified this thread was updated. <_<

I didn't mean that I wouldn't try to make passable black metal. In an ideal world, every track would be passable. But it's black metal. It's still a sort of hazy area I think. Halc/chthonic/willrock would almost be a sure bet for being passable. I didn't mean that I would skimp out on making the black metal awesome. That seems to be the impression people keep getting when I talked about this project, but let me just clarify it once and for all, I have NO intentions of sliding by on someone else's work. xD

Secondly, What's up with TEEN AGENT? I thought it was supposed to come out next.

There was a third thing I wanted to ask but I forgot. :-(