OCR01197 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Saharalah's Homecoming"

djpretzel

I guess you just have to have a good taste for "smooth jazz" to really appreciate this stuff. This band, and the 1-up mushrooms have a smiliar style, in that they both sound like elevator music. This happens any time you have a sax as a lead, and a keyboardist, bass guitar and drums as backup. Guess I'd like it better if I was in the mood...you say "beatnik poetry cafe," I say "elevator music." :(

Forgive me for being an ass about this or just picky...but Sahasralah is not from Ocarina of Time, he's from Link to the Past. If this song is a remake of Zelda's Lullaby, maybe it should be Zelda's homecoming...anyway, that just ticks me off. The song itself:

I am a fan of jazz, and Neskvartetten obviously very successfully turned this into a smooth, finger snappin' toe tappin' piece that will have you bobbin' your head and kickin' back with your glass of scotch, staring at the moon. At least that's what I do when I listen to jazz...*cough*. I think any jazz fan will agree that this was a great adaptation indeed. The sexophone (as I call it, and whether it was a synth, or real, not too sure) is beautifully done, it's all good...

-Berd

When I read DJ's review of the mix I was getting really excited because I thought it was going to be something like the post recent 'Linus Spacehead Spacedrifter' mix that was done by Dark Sword. (Which by the way is one of the best remixes ever and if you haven't downloaded it you should be branded a loser by way of a hot rod to the ass..Anyways, sorry about the tangent.) This mix was similiar in that it had the lead sax. It definitely isn't the same type of thing though.

Although this was well put together, it seemed clean and natural; it just isn't my type of music.

Personally, I'm not fond of this particular Jazz style. I mean, I love most jazz, but lounge jazz isn't my thing. Although I must admit the stuff around the 2 minute mark is good stuff, and afterwards too... probably the reason this was accepted in the first place. I mean, it's got LOTS of flair there.

In the beginning though, it just feels like the player lacks a certain amount of control. The feeling I get is that he wants to play longer notes that start loud and get soft, but lacking the dynamic control, just plays staccatto. Staccatto doesn't fit here, I think. Maybe it was intentional, but it comes off... not good.

As I said, it gets better latter, although still in the lounge style, but the beginning... meh. Props for playing it live though. More live stuff is always good.

Glad to see some good jazzy talent. I am loving this man. This is very inspirational to me for some reason, and I love how that sax pumps out those notes (you?). Anyway, the arrangement is very cool.

Any jazz or instrumental fans out there I highly encourage to download this song. This is good stuff; real talent.

I played this song for my dad who is a huge interpretive jazz fan. He couldn't believe the song was based on a video game until i played the original for him. He was amazed to find the skill and creativity with the artist(s) of this piece. His views on video games are now changed forever. Thanks for making this piece. Its more than a song, it is the buding of a new genre in which music (not just VG) remixing / interpreting can grow into.

P.S. he still won't pay for xbox live tho.

I played this song for my dad who is a huge interpretive jazz fan. He couldn't believe the song was based on a video game until i played the original for him. He was amazed to find the skill and creativity with the artist(s) of this piece. His views on video games are now changed forever. Thanks for making this piece. Its more than a song, it is the buding of a new genre in which music (not just VG) remixing / interpreting can grow into.

[Laughs] Hey, great story. Glad to hear your Dad isn't too much of a snob to not listen to this. Always good to hear of a Jazz Head listening to something outside of Jazz ;)

Also, yes, this song is from A Link to the Past and not as listed.

InfinitysEnd, just because something has a soprano saxophone in it does not mean it's elevator music. If you want to be close-minded like that, that's fine. I guess you really are the end of infinity. And it's OneUp Mushrooms.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Neskvartetten, though I can't pronounce it, is still the best video game music tribute band. Their talent and musicianship really shines bright. Yeah, it's a lot of fun to mosh around to the Minibosses and NESkimos because they're music is great, but Neskvartetten really makes me think about how I arrange and listen to music. These guys know their jazz. I'm both envious and in awe. Hats off to them and another superior track.

I downloaded this one from the official Neskvartetten website long ago, and it's been my favorite Zelda remix ever since (second only to Thelonius Temple High, perhaps). It's a shame so many claim this 'isn't your cup of tea,' because this is a really high quality arrangement. I've checked out some other of this group's pieces, but this is my favorite by far.

Aw man, that's some nice stuff you got there Neskvartetten. I really love the jazz sound and smooth vibes given off from the quiet percussion in the backround. The deviation from Zelda's Lullaby at 1:15 is pretty neat, but you forget that it's still just a remix. Unfortunately, that deviation lasts a really long time. It's more like interpretive jazz with allusions to Zelda's Lullaby, which is neat, but just not solid enough for a title of ReMix. I still really, really like it though, so I give it a 8/10. Way to go Neskvartetten, keep it up.

Not really jazz like the Duke, and not really "smooth jazz" (a misnomer if ever there was one) either. It's a bit more unstructured than classical jazz in that, while it comes together as a whole very well, it seems most of the time as if the individual players were doing their own thing instead of playing as parts of a whole, more like a jazzy jam session than a song. However, it's not quite to the point of being Phish on dramamine.

It's not really my cup of tea, to be honest. While I appreciate the performance skills of the players involved, the piece as whole doesn't keep my attention. This would be something I would enjoy more in a live setting where the experience of being there makes ordinary music more exciting. As a whole it bores me, but there is no doubt that the players are capable of playing exceptionally well.

And as Ellington once said "It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing."

D

I must ask one question - why does the picture in the front page show Zelda: Link's Awakening instead of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? The song says Zelda 64 in the file name, and so I just find it odd.

I figured the picture was changed from the Zelda 64 one because of the name "saharalahs" home coming, saharalah being from A Link to the Past, but of course, for some reason, its Link's Awakening :?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01197 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Saharalah's Homecoming"